Premium Member
73,384 Posts
LoJack went out of business years ago.
No they didn't...

·
Registered
15 Posts
No they didn't...

Send me link directly for motorcycle use. I use to sell for the company. They went out of business on the motorcycle side years ago.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
Ah, you didn't specify motorcycle use, my bad.

Reactions: 21TXGixxer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In general I don't like insurance as it is generally not profitable. As a rule of thumb you SHOULD insure things that are very unlikely to happen and have a VERY HIGH DAMAGE costs to your life. Life insurance or home fire insurance are examples. You should not insure things that are likely to happen and can afford the damage should things go wrong. Example, if I buy a $250 digital camera, I am not going to add on insurance for $40 if something goes wrong. I can afford to buy the $250 camera out right if there is a problem and $40 is a lot to add to the overall costs.

Insurance companies can only afford to pay out 50% of premiums collected as there is overhead running the business. You are always better off self insuring, if you can afford it, assuming you are not above the risk profile that the policy was designed around.

This topic did get me thinking about the cost of insurance for my GSXR-1000 and whether or not I am properly covered and what is the exact cost for theft on my motorcycle. Here are the numbers

The "Comprehensive (not including collision)" portion of my policy is $151 per year. This covers theft with a $500 premium. I then checked to see what it would costs to cover my 7-8k of upgrades (full ohlins front and rear, etc.....) If I added $6500 - $8000 of additional coverage for aftermarket parts this would add $131 per year.

My 2017 non R was purchased for around 13k as a 2 year left over and has around 7-8 k of upgrades. So It is worth around 20k to me. Could I afford it if the bike gets stolen? Certainly. Would I like it? Certainly not. If it got stolen, I may likely be so bummed that I would not get a replacement, a $20,000 180mph motorcycle isn't exactly a necessity.

So after reading all of the posts that say the best theft protection is insurance, I actually have to agree. For only $151 dollars I protect the value of my motorcycle. Any GPS tracking system will cost around $120 per year for monitoring and there is no guarantee that this will work, or that I will get the bike back in one piece.

Summary / Conclusion - After this research, I think I will keep my existing policy as is with the $151 per year for theft. I will not add on the cost of the aftermarket goodies for $131. For piece of mind I think I will continue to look for an alarm system that might go off if people move the bike. Theft insurance plus an alarm seem to be maybe the best combination of risk reduction, cost and piece of mind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In general I don't like insurance as it is generally not profitable. As a rule of thumb you SHOULD insure things that are very unlikely to happen and have a VERY HIGH DAMAGE costs to your life. Life insurance or home fire insurance are examples. You should not insure things that are likely to happen and can afford the damage should things go wrong. Example, if I buy a $250 digital camera, I am not going to add on insurance for $40 if something goes wrong. I can afford to buy the $250 camera out right if there is a problem and $40 is a lot to add to the overall costs.

Insurance companies can only afford to pay out 50% of premiums collected as there is overhead running the business. You are always better off self insuring, if you can afford it, assuming you are not above the risk profile that the policy was designed around.

This topic did get me thinking about the cost of insurance for my GSXR-1000 and whether or not I am properly covered and what is the exact cost for theft on my motorcycle. Here are the numbers

The "Comprehensive (not including collision)" portion of my policy is $151 per year. This covers theft with a $500 premium. I then checked to see what it would costs to cover my 7-8k of upgrades (full ohlins front and rear, etc.....) If I added $6500 - $8000 of additional coverage for aftermarket parts this would add $131 per year.

My 2017 non R was purchased for around 13k as a 2 year left over and has around 7-8 k of upgrades. So It is worth around 20k to me. Could I afford it if the bike gets stolen? Certainly. Would I like it? Certainly not. If it got stolen, I may likely be so bummed that I would not get a replacement, a $20,000 180mph motorcycle isn't exactly a necessity.

So after reading all of the posts that say the best theft protection is insurance, I actually have to agree. For only $151 dollars I protect the value of my motorcycle. Any GPS tracking system will cost around $120 per year for monitoring and there is no guarantee that this will work, or that I will get the bike back in one piece.

Summary / Conclusion - After this research, I think I will keep my existing policy as is with the $151 per year for theft. I will not add on the cost of the aftermarket goodies for $131. For piece of mind I think I will continue to look for an alarm system that might go off if people move the bike. Theft insurance plus an alarm seem to be maybe the best combination of risk reduction, cost and piece of mind.
That monimoto7 set up I posted about is only 49 bucks a year, it equals about three dollars a month for service.
And it does a lot more than what a Apple air tag can do.
It notifies you immediately when your bike is being moved so you can act quickly to find it.
And you know when it comes to theft, the sooner you act the better chance the out come will be.
I’ve got the extra insurance on my bike to, hell I’ve got ten grand in just exhaust and wheels on the bike, that doesn’t include all the other aftermarket bits and custom tune on it.
I think the gps is just added protection, but I understand where you’re coming from.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Apple AirTag - This will have somewhat limited usability in a theft situation.

1) It's updates are much slower, making it harder to track. In one test on youtube it took 7 minutes before updating location. But most importantly.......
2) AirTags notify the thief if there is an air tag on a something that they brought home (assuming they have an Iphone).

Regarding #2 - It appears that the airtag only notifies the thief with iphone either when they get home, or at the end of the day. So this isn't entirely a loss. Overall for the cost of an airtag and the lack of subscription it does provide a good cost benefit.

Monitmoto 7 tracker & apple airtag - Maybe I will get both!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Apple AirTag - This will have somewhat limited usability in a theft situation.

1) It's updates are much slower, making it harder to tract. In one test on youtube it took 7 minutes before updating location. But most importantly.......
2) AirTags notify the thief if there is an air tag on a something that they brought home (assuming they have an Iphone).

Regarding #2 - It appears that the airtag only notifies the thief with iphone either when they get home, or at the end of the day. So this isn't entirely a loss. Overall for the cost of an airtag and the lack of subscription it does provide a good cost benefit.

Monitmoto 7 tracker & apple airtag - Maybe I will get both!
Good points

I run a tile and apple tag

(tile will refund you a 1000 if item isn’t found. That’s a refund for insurance deductible if you think about it)

·
Registered
GSX-R 1000 2014 L4 in the Netherlands
92 Posts
Please consider what you will do if you know (like I did) that your bike is in a closed garage?
There is nothing you can do and the police is not eager to chase gps signals (one boat owner saw his stolen boat at a trailer park and the cops took 2 days to investigate and show up)

Any self-righteousness (taking recovery action) is a crime, A person told me his bike was for sale in parts before it was stolen, he grabbed the thief in a van and punished him, got money back but the crime is kidnap with brutality.
That is a long jail-time and the police will happily chase you for it, any judge will get pissed off when a simple civilian will take care of business himself.

Do not believe the kindergarten stories about police and the help they will give you, as a civilian you have three opponents:
-crime
-tax
-police fines and the lowering of the definition of a simple crime (speeding, seat belt, trailer hitch, boat life vest, putting the waste-bin one day to early, etc. the list to comply as civilian grows)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I found this video pretty comprehensive....

After all of your suggestions and my research, I have done the following.

1) Made sure my insurance covers theft. I have elected not to add the cost of mods, just cover the value of the bike.
2) I will install an apple Airtag on the bike. Why not? They are almost free.
3) I have ordered the new MoniMoto tracker 7.
4) Will add an Oxford Boss disc alarm.

The bike is in the garage 99.9999% of the time. The disc alarm will be for the rare moment when the bike is visible to the public and I am not watching it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found this video pretty comprehensive....

After all of your suggestions and my research, I have done the following.

1) Made sure my insurance covers theft. I have elected not to add the cost of mods, just cover the value of the bike.
2) I will install an apple Airtag on the bike. Why not? They are almost free.
3) I have ordered the new MoniMoto tracker 7.
4) Will add an Oxford Boss disc alarm.

The bike is in the garage 99.9999% of the time. The disc alarm will be for the rare moment when the bike is visible to the public and I am not watching it.
good decision

·
Premium Member
5,444 Posts
After reading through all of the posts, I am reformulating my thought process.

Obviously the best deterrent is a locked garage and / or to always have your bike in sight. But what about sitting outside a hotel room overnight? You can't stay up all night. Maybe a cover is a good idea??

tell you what whenever I am on the road and staying in motels/hotels?

I go on the cheap, those motel 6's are nice even the old converted ones, tell em I am disabled and need a ground floor, push my bikes right in the room and sleep tight..

dunnit more times than I can count..

shopping at grocery stores? I park it right on the sidewalk right next to the front door, same for restaurants, if my bike isn't in sight I don't eat or shop there..

serious, it takes a but a few seconds to open van doors and throw in a bike and go, so use your rotor lock with an alarm even if you are right on sidewalks next to grocery store doors, keep it in sight of everyone.. someone grabs it alarms go off and people can stop them..

I dont play when it comes to my bikes, 3 fairly new jacked in 5 years is stupid luck or a very bad area, why I left, the seattle area is turning into a drug infested shithole for thieves and druggies and the cops are nicer to the criminals than they are the victims, ask me if I still want my bike on the stolen list I'll kick some teeth in... arseholes, they can have it..

shit you not 1 year after my last 2k51k was jacked they sent me a letter asked if I "still" wanted it on the stolen registry list and in the system, drove right down to the precinct said "have you found my bike yet?" ... PO, "no"..

then WTF do you think? I was LIVID, moved not long afterwards, last straw, I knew they had no intentions of even looking for my bikes.. jackwads

21 - 40 of 69 Posts