Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have put on about 8k of aftermarket goodies on my bike, I am a little more concerned about theft. How likely are 2017+ GSXR-1000's to be stolen and what anti-theft measures do any of you use or recommend?

Note: My 1989 GSXR-750 with built 1100 motor was stolen from a parking lot many years ago. There are a couple of factors that contributed to the theft of this motorcycle. 1) Many were raced. 2) There were a lot of these motorcycles produced and 3) Many of the parts were interchangeable over different model years. I don't worry about my 2006 FJR1300 being stolen, but do wonder if some type of theft counter measure would be smart on a light bike with full Ohlins suspension and lots of other goodies.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You can only make yours less appealing to a low life. Immobliser\ loud alarm. good quality locks, lock it to a lamp post or a railing if left anywhere, datatag ( with stickers on bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started doing some homework. This device called a Tracki (click) looks promising. It looks like it is only about $20. Then another $30 to hardwire it, so you don't have to recharge the battery. Then about $120 per year for service.

Going to do more research then I think it would be wise to spend some money. My bike just looks too tasty. If they do steal it, I would have enough time to track the vehicle before they could find the transponder and disable it. Assuming you could get law enforcements attention. It's only 3 hours from where I live to the Mexican border.

·
Registered
1995 gsxr750w
2 Posts
There was a alarm I mounted up on my 1980 yamaha xs400. Tied into the wiring harness, loud ass alarm and if the wire for the alarm was snipped it would put it into a fail safe set up and would kill spark. That got took off the market for some reason shortly after I got mine but thing was pretty damn reliable, wish I would have taken it off of it when I sold it. Also trying to follow this so I can find new antitheft device for my gsxr I just got.

·
Premium Member
73,372 Posts
Just a head's up, I knew a few bike thieves that got caught. They told me that as soon as the bike is loaded into the van, it is totally disassembled in less than 45 minutes. So I doubt you would have time to do anything. Recovering a stolen bike is a very small likelihood.

Keep in locked in a garage, and don't let it leave your site when you are out on it. Pretty simple.

Reactions: what?

·
Yearning for a higher post count...
Suzuki GSXR 600 & 1000
579 Posts
Besides having it garaged and not leaving it out of sight, I would suggest checking into the 'LoJack' system. Home - LoJack
I've never had it but heard good things about it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Can't see it... Can't steal it...

I had a mate who bought a brand new GSX-R1000 K3, he had it for about 6 months and it was stolen from his driveway carport, behind a locked 6 ft high steel gate that was see thru (visible from street ).

There was a separate pedestrian 6 ft high see thru steel gate next to his driveway gate, that was not locked.

So the thieves just walked thru the pedestrian 900mm / 3 ft wide gate, picked the bike up and carried it out the narrow gate into a van and it was gone.

If they can see it... they will take it...

The bike was insured, so he got another brand new one, and he never parked it in his carport ever again.

He had no garage, so he parked his new bike inside his house totally out of site, and locked both gates and never had a problem again.

It was a classic... about 6 years later he got a phone call out the blue from the police, saying they found his bike, it was being used as a track / race bike and somehow they matched the chassis/engine number as being his bike. The bike was totally thrashed / trashed and the insurance company picked it up to sell it off. He didn't want it obviously as it was trashed, and didn't want to buy it back. But he was very thankful for the police letting him know they recovered the bike and caught the thieve some 6 years later.

My GSX-R1000 K2 which I bought Brand New (be 20 years old this October... ), is in my locked garage totally out of site, or I'm riding it on weekends and I never leave it unattended anywhere ever...

When I come home, it goes straight into the garage and the door is closed, and I never park it out the front of my house ever... advertising its location.

The best Anti Theft Measure is...... if they can't see it or know about the bikes location, they can't steal it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Best deterrent is a big ass dog. Tea leaves don’t do dogs. Most thieves are either kids or pussies. They will avoid confrontation and do not want to get caught. Dogs are perfect as they are loud and can hold.
I have German shepherds, one ex police. They look after my bikes. I’ve never had an issue however I am about to move house and my new place is getting a 6ft wall built around it with electric gates and 4K cctv. I’ve 2 x k6 track bikes, plus an L3 and L7 to protect. I will be fitting ground anchors with big ass chains and also I aim to put some form of tracker on each of them. Was thinking of hiding an old iPhone on each with a pre paid sim so I can just use find my iPhone lol.

·
Registered
GSX-R 1000 2014 L4 in the Netherlands
91 Posts
Best is good insurance, after theft it is the cheapest peace of mind.
Some insist on an alarm with a yearly certificate, some only need an ART4 category (ground anchor) lock, just buy two locks and keep one complete in a closet to make absolutely sure you have the keys to show to the insurance.

My zzr1400 was stolen by dutch Antilles guys living 2 kilometers from my house (2 kilometers is a statistical fact for traveled distance and burglary), had all their info and logins when they used the prepped laptop that was stolen to.
Came back three times, we moved 130 kilometers further to the rural area, best decision ever for my family.

Those guys would park their car and smoke a few joints waiting/spotting for the owner and when a paper- of pizza delivery would spot a bike that info was passed on to the guys that get into your garage at 3 in the night.
I could read real time messages where they would signal each other to get an electric bike parked at the swimming pool, all daylong.

Had access to all credentials and social security (they never worked),nasty 40k emails and shit and kneel all you want but this was a group effort thing and not just one out of a few thousand misbehaving, aw-full racist communication to, lover boys using girls, weapons, they hated the Netherlands and the white man.

And the police? don't get me started... this is political so look the other way.

·
Premium Member
73,372 Posts
Wow.
The company you keep.
Guilt by association.
Lmfao... Nice assumption and edit. I knew bike thieves who got caught is what I said, not that I knew bike thieves. I was friends with some of the police force where I lived, and these thieves were the ones who stole my K2 750, so my police friends gave me an opportunity to speak with them, which is how I gleaned that info. Nice try though.

I have been on this site for literally 20 years. I was a mod, then a supermod, then an admin for a long time before I took a hiatus. I have over 73,000 posts, 90% of which is helping others. Definitely not a thief.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
4,065 Posts
Lmfao... Nice assumption and edit. I knew bike thieves who got caught is what I said, not that I knew bike thieves. I was friends with some of the police force where I lived, and these thieves were the ones who stole my K2 750, so my police friends gave me an opportunity to speak with them, which is how I gleaned that info. Nice try though.

I have been on this site for literally 20 years. I was a mod, then a supermod, then an admin for a long time before I took a hiatus. I have over 73,000 posts, 90% of which is helping others. Definitely not a thief.
Not to mention the fact that there are people who used to be thieves and now aren't. :rolleyes:

OP: keep the bike out of sight, keep it in a garage, and keep insurance on it. Here in Austin we're having professional thieves showing up with vans and trailers, they're gone before most people can even go down the stairs. There's even footage of some of them with portable angle grinders cutting locks off because no one says shit, anymore.

·
Registered
144 Posts
FIN GPS. When I lower the bike from the rear stand I get a alert saying there has been movement. The app lets you see a satellite map like google and it’s pretty much spot on. I also have a old alarm that doesn’t work tucked between the rear fairings and frame with the real one tucked away somewhere else and that is also pretty good about movement and it’s loud. Most of all though is insurance. Insurance has got me 3 new bikes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,943 Posts
Wow.
The company you keep.
Guilt by association.
Ease up turbo … Ant is a well respected member here , play nice or we have a pink room waiting for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was worried about theft after I bought my 2017 1000r, because it has so many expensive aftermarket parts on it, bst carbon fiber wheels, yosh full titanium r11 sq exhaust, brembo and so on and so forth.
The first thing I did was let State Farm take a shit load of pictures of it, got extra coverage for aftermarket parts, incase of theft or crash and pretty much, just hope nobody takes it, is about all one can do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
All theft deterrent measures are just a deterrent, if they want it bad enough they will steal it. Insurance is the way to go.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After reading through all of the posts, I am reformulating my thought process.

Obviously the best deterrent is a locked garage and / or to always have your bike in sight. But what about sitting outside a hotel room overnight? You can't stay up all night. Maybe a cover is a good idea??

My first idea was a GPS tracking service that immediately notifies you when a bike is stolen. But if it only takes 15 seconds to lift the bike into a van and it is getting stripped in the van within an hour and the police don't give a crap then this does work.

So here is my solution.... Fell free to add your thoughts.

Some type of chain bolting the bike to something fixed. I understand that a portable grinder may get through this in several minutes. So add some type of audible alert if the bike is moved. Imagine, train horn or fog horn. Something very loud, distinctive and intimidating. In the dead of the night this is likely to wake everybody up. Not saying this is a good idea, what if some kid bumps the bike. But it sounds like the best strategy... ie. Delay said thieves and Notify the world.

I mean what thief would want to be cutting a lock at 3 am outside a hotel room with a 120db train horn going off?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts