Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
upon prepping my gixxer for the track (the past 3 times) I would pull fuses to turn off the lights. but whenever I plug them back in to make it a street bike again, only one headlight turns on with low beams (both are on with high beams) and the tail light only turns on when I brake, stays off otherwise. I would suspect a connectivity issue somewhere, but this doesn't quite make sense. everything was working fine previously, and the fuses and connections for the rear signal lights were reinstalled the same way they were before (my rear signals are an integrated part with my license plate, both of which I remove in preparation for track days)

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
upon prepping my gixxer for the track (the past 3 times) I would pull fuses to turn off the lights. but whenever I plug them back in to make it a street bike again, only one headlight turns on with low beams (both are on with high beams) and the tail light only turns on when I brake, stays off otherwise. I would suspect a connectivity issue somewhere, but this doesn't quite make sense. everything was working fine previously, and the fuses and connections for the rear signal lights were reinstalled the same way they were before (my rear signals are an integrated part with my license plate, both of which I remove in preparation for track days)
. Stupid response,

but have you checked the bulbs?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,703 Posts
You've probably pulled/damaged a lead in the tail, you'll have to get in there with a multimeter to find it. The front problem could be at the high beam / flash-to-pass switch. Should be easy to track down with a voltmeter.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've probably pulled/damaged a lead in the tail, you'll have to get in there with a multimeter to find it. The front problem could be at the high beam / flash-to-pass switch. Should be easy to track down with a voltmeter.
I guess Id have to check, doesn't really make sense if I never touched anything with the taillight wiring or anything with the headlights, I only pulled leads for rear signal lights and fuses for the headlight, taillight and signals

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
taillight now stays lit like it should, I didn't do anything. only one headlight turns on with low beams still. keep in mind I thoroughly cleaned all connectors/connections on the entire wire harness a few months ago and made sure everything was clean and intact and checked resistances on circuit elements, never had any electrical issues since. this only started happening after 3 track days when I pulled fuses

on a side note, my starter does not work every time like it used to. I would hit the starter and hear a click but nothing happens, and other times it would turn over like normal. Ill check resistances on the solenoid to see if its already shot, I replaced it a year ago but it is a cheap Chinese unit after all

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: took the starter relay/solenoid off and it tested good for resistance, fell right at 4.3 ohms when the useable range is between 3-5. starter intermittence issue is sourced somewhere else. starter motor is good, starter button and clutch switch are good, all the wiring is good

i haven't dug into the one headlight low beam issue yet

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You've lost a filament on the headlight bulb due to vibration at the trackday, you have supply at the bulbs, so it can only be this. H4 bulbs have separate filament for low and high beams, low beam filament goes more often than high beam as it's used more, this makes it more brittle/prone to breaking.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've lost a filament on the headlight bulb due to vibration at the trackday, you have supply at the bulbs, so it can only be this. H4 bulbs have separate filament for low and high beams, low beam filament goes more often than high beam as it's used more, this makes it more brittle/prone to breaking.
dang, i'll have to pull it and inspect, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
checked my bulb today and sure enough you are right, I'll now be looking into an H4 headlight bulb. Thanks for the advise!

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
if you don't want to mess around with pulling the rear tail light fuse for trackday use, just remove the tail light bulb and be done. much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts