Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i need to lift the front off the ground to change fork seals. would lifting the front up by the headers with a jack deform the header gaskets causing a leak? I've lifted bikes like this before but I've just changed the gaskets on this one recently and don't want to risk damaging them. other option would be to lift it with some ratchet straps overhead, but if its ok to lift by the headers i would rather do that. Thanks in advance.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,534 Posts
People lift the bike by the headers but it's not a good idea. Suzuki mentions lifting by a jack and wooden block under the oil pan but is vague on specifics and I've always worried about tipping over. I like using a nylon strap and an overhead hoist. There are many ways to attach the strap for lifting either end. Here's one where the entire front end swings free:
image ru

·
Registered
03 Gsxr1000
249 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I use this chassis lift and then put this padded Jack under the headers where they come together. This way very little weight on pipes themselves.
another way is to use front stand and use it to lift and rest on frame protectors resting on car Jack stands .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Might be worth looking at Abba stands - easy to use, great for the simple jobs (chain lubing, etc.) but combined with their 'front lift' it provides a stable platform for most jobs (including both wheels off)

There is also an option for using it to remove the swing arm

I bought one about 20 years ago and have used it on loads of bikes - simple one person operation

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Agree but not everyone can afford many set ups to be fair, or the space that it takes.
That is not my space, that was at the suspension tuner
But it does show what's possible
All you really need is 2 decent stands on a straight floor with a little bit of room around it and the tools to dismount the fork
I'm guessing that since TS wants to do it himself, he at least has everything except the stands, or he would take it to a shop instead of hauling his bike up to his 3rd story 1-bedroom apartment

Reactions: Jimmyboy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts