Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
I've seen this pic before... also in some Hitchcock movie (south by southwest?)

But what I don't get is that even in the fuzzy, low-rez pic, the numbers appear to be waaaaaaaaay off.

EG between the 2nd and 3rd spots (570-640 AD) IE 70 years, you can SEE there are maybe only 11 or 12 rings :scratch

Same everywhere else. There aint anywhere NEAR 1500 rings in that tree.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen this pic before... also in some Hitchcock movie (south by southwest?)

But what I don't get is that even in the fuzzy, low-rez pic, the numbers appear to be waaaaaaaaay off.

EG between the 2nd and 3rd spots (570-640 AD) IE 70 years, you can SEE there are maybe only 11 or 12 rings :scratch

Same everywhere else. There aint anywhere NEAR 1500 rings in that tree.
I didn't stop to scrutinize the picture but took it at face value and thought it was worth sharing. The best information I have found on this is where the picture originated: Photo Credit: Compton’s Pictured Encyclopedia and Fact Index (1947)

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
Maybe it's just the low-rez pic and we can't see that there actually are that many lines.

In any case, that was one big mofo of a tree.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On another note before someone else brings it up. When this photo was posted to FB in 2012 it started a debate on the timeline being in the wrong direction, meaning 550 should be the outer most ring and 1891 should be in the center. Personally, whether it goes from inside out or outside in makes no difference to me and I'm certainly not a Dendrochronologist, I just thought it was a cool picture.

·
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley
5,094 Posts
When this photo was posted to FB in 2012 it started a debate on the timeline being in the wrong direction, meaning 550 should be the outer most ring and 1891 should be in the center.
Anyone who thought that is what we usually refer to as a fucking moron. :lol

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,918 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts