Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Exhaust Doesn\'t Get Hot

Does anyone knows what will cause this? It's my buddy's bike actually. He changed the cans from Wiley to Yosh RS-3's Bolt Ons, it has a power commander also. Both exhaust seems to be pushing with the same amount of pressure but the left one is cool to the touch and right one get hot as usual. It back fires a lot on down shifts and when you let of the throttle also which leaves me to believe that one cylinder isn't firing all the time. THe honda shop has remapped it twice and they swear it's not the mapping.

·
Premium Member
26,775 Posts
Re: Left Exhaust Doesn\'t Get Hot

Pull the power commander and then see what happens.

njracer

·
Registered
4 Posts

the left exhaust won't get hot, but the right one will. and as far as the backfiring goes, remove the pair valves and you should be good to go. stop wasting money on having it remapped, there's nothing wrong with it.

if after you remove the pair valves it still backfires, check to make sure there aren't any exhaust leaks. check where the exhaust goes through the swing arm, there's a gasket in there that sometimes get fukked up.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts

the left exhaust won't get hot, but the right one will. and as far as the backfiring goes, remove the pair valves and you should be good to go. stop wasting money on having it remapped, there's nothing wrong with it.

if after you remove the pair valves it still backfires, check to make sure there aren't any exhaust leaks. check where the exhaust goes through the swing arm, there's a gasket in there that sometimes get fukked up.
I always thought doing the pair mod will CAUSE your bike to backfire... not the opposite. The purpose of it is to put fresh oxygen rich air into the exhaust so that the unburn fuel is ignited before it has a chance to hit the outside air (which is what backfireing is)

·
Registered
343 Posts

I always thought doing the pair mod will CAUSE your bike to backfire... not the opposite. The purpose of it is to put fresh oxygen rich air into the exhaust so that the unburn fuel is ignited before it has a chance to hit the outside air (which is what backfireing is)
I am pretty sure that any ignition of fuel in the exhaust system, outside of the combustion chamber, is a bad thing. The PAIR system seemingly only fooled emissions tests by diluting the unburned hydrocarbons with fresh air. Any ignition of said unburned hydrocarbons would result in backfiring or exhaust pinging.

Back on topic, I had similiar problems with my TLR when I first got it. I installed a high flow air filter (BMC), removed the PAIR valves, Joe-V modded the air box, and remapped the PCII to the closest map that compared to my setup. It back-fires a whole lot less now but it does suffer from stumbels in 2nd gear in the 2-3K RPM range. The mod that had the most affect on the back-firing was infact the PAIR valve removal, which also resulted in my exhaust pressures feeling about the same (right side is still a bit stronger but I suspect that has more to do with the bends in the piping).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts