Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before anyone starts in on me, yes... I have a closed road (fully barricaded and with fresh pavement, my neighborhood was going to expand the development I suppose, but with the economy it never happened), and full gear to wear, and I'm not a new rider :cheers

I've been trying to learn to wheelie, and I'm able to get some little 1st gear power wheelies, and some little hops with 1st gear clutch ups. My bike is an 06 600, geared down -1/+2. I find that the power wheelies are extremely hard to control, and can be somewhat hard to anticipate and VERY hard to make consistent, and with how sensitive the throttle response is in 1st with the lowered gearing it's really hard to set her down gently (for a beginner like myself). The road I'm using has a few little rolling hills, and popping the wheel up just when I'm cresting the hill is easiest (obviously).

I've had a lot of more experienced wheelie-ers tell me that starting with 2nd gear clutch ups will be easier, more controllable, and more consistent, especially with my gearing.

The other thing I'm concerned with is damaging the clutch. Am I going to fuck something up dumping the clutch to get the wheel up?

I'm just looking for some tips. Is it more important for me get 1st gear power ups down before I try to move on to clutching 2nd up? So far I haven't been able to get the front wheel off the ground with 2nd gear clutch ups (or power-ups for that matter), maybe I'm just not using enough throttle, or I'm not dumping the clutch fast enough? Any responses, tips and input would be really appreciated. Please and thank you! :thumbup

·
Registered
793 Posts
The 600 is going to need a little more throttle. I have a 750 and it's easy but I also weigh 215 probably. Just practice and take it slow learning. Give it a little jerk when clutching up. Little by little and cover the rear brake of coarse

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
about 8k on the tach while quickly popping the clutch should result in a wheelie. wouldnt do it in 1st.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only weigh about 160, maybe 175 with gear

So start from 8k and pop it and rev higher? Or start slower and rev to 8k?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only weigh about 160, maybe 175 with gear

So start from 8k and pop it and rev higher? Or start slower and rev to 8k? You guys think I should work on 2nd gear clutch ups then?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, thanks fla. what would you recommend as a starting speed and then what rpm to rev and pop, srad?

·
Mesonychoteuthis hamitoni
1,981 Posts
Start at 30 ish, rev to about 8k to drop clutch. Raise in small steps, to your comfort. Do not immediately start dropping the clutch at 12k or 13k rpm, work your comfort up. Try to be consistent on how you hold the throttle as/after you drop the clutch. If you just rev to where it is sitting at 8/10/whatever rpms with the clutch in and drop it, it will not work like you want.

Experienced technique would be to snap and hold throttle, feather the clutch quickly, and go. But that takes experience and timing to catch the rpms at the right point as they rise quickly under full throttle.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give that a try for sure. Probably won't have the chance to head back out to my spot until this weekend though. Thanks, I'll post up how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Start at 30 ish, rev to about 8k to drop clutch. Raise in small steps, to your comfort. Do not immediately start dropping the clutch at 12k or 13k rpm, work your comfort up. Try to be consistent on how you hold the throttle as/after you drop the clutch. If you just rev to where it is sitting at 8/10/whatever rpms with the clutch in and drop it, it will not work like you want.

Experienced technique would be to snap and hold throttle, feather the clutch quickly, and go. But that takes experience and timing to catch the rpms at the right point as they rise quickly under full throttle.

^^this.. I just started practicing wheelies a few weeks ago and I've gone from clutching them in 1st gear sitting down to attempting 2nd gear stand-ups. One thing I can suggest is try not to "pop" the clutch out instantly, that's something I was doing and I couldn't figure out why I just kept spinning the rear wheel and only bringing it up a few inches. Try more of a controlled quick "slip" using only your index finger without disengaging it all the way. Roll on the throttle and keep on it hard after you let the clutch out.. it's probably going to feel like you're giving it too much at first but you'll get more comfortable with it.. Good luck, hope you keep progessing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Get ready to drop the bike also ...part of learning how to wheelie always comes with a fall sooner or later.... all my friends that have been doing it end up falling. The one friend doing it on the highway and now lives without his spleen and then there is my other friend that just totaled his bike 3 weeks ago doing the same on his 07 Kawi 1000, now he has no bike. This is the reason those stunt bikes usually look like shit cause the constant falling from practicing tricks. I like my fairings and my organs so I just keep both wheels on the ground at all times. Good luck

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A big wet one at that

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
I see your problem... start by taking off your jacket and gloves. You need to feel the bike, and lose some top-end weight. Yut-ugh and hang on.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yut ughhhhhh

Yes sir

·
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis
1,147 Posts
Get ready to drop the bike also ...part of learning how to wheelie always comes with a fall sooner or later.... all my friends that have been doing it end up falling. The one friend doing it on the highway and now lives without his spleen and then there is my other friend that just totaled his bike 3 weeks ago doing the same on his 07 Kawi 1000, now he has no bike. This is the reason those stunt bikes usually look like shit cause the constant falling from practicing tricks. I like my fairings and my organs so I just keep both wheels on the ground at all times. Good luck
I drop my stunt bike almosts everytime i go to the lot and it doesn't look like shit, I've seen dumbshits at bike nights with absolute shit bikes. also a lot of guys run no fairings for functionality. you don't see it but for a purpose built stunt bike to the average rider it may look like shit but when you start to look at the parts we invest in and the setups we run some (shit) looking stunt bikes as you put it have more invested than most guys stock or near stock bikes.

back on topic, like Mcgoo said it, don't drop the clutch, slip it. your wasting potential energy by just dropping it from the bar. plus its easy to go oh shit and shut it down this way.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
still haven't had the chance to go out to the closed road again yet, been crazy busy. should i lower my tire pressures or it doesn't matter at this stage? i think maybe i was popping the clutch and not slipping it... i'll try with one finger next time out

·
Riding at my own pace
142 Posts
I'm also learning , I have it @ 5k rpm then I pop the clutch and it raises it like 2 inches off the ground, I don't know how to raise it higher or stay on the 2 inch rise for longer time, any advise?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
19 Participants
ice-kUb
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing