Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 fork has developed a leak at the bottom. with the axel out there is a bolt in the bottom of the leg, is there a O-ring to seal it?? also do you refill them the same as the 86's?? And how much oil ??
Sorry for all the questions. Thanx

·
Registered
47 Posts
from what i remember, on my 90 w/ inverted forks, theat bolt is a bleeder type, hollow with a hole through it, i think mine has a brass or copper washer, not a rubber o-ring,
i am not quite sure though man,
latron,
S

·
Registered
211 Posts
The shop here rebuilt my forks for $175 Canadian....not worth the hasstle and risk of messing up. I look at this one way...put in some over time and the extra cost is covered.
I'm not the most technically inclined. Engines I don't touch, electrics I stay away from (I'm colour blind), Suspension set up forget it....I just stick to regular maintenance, where there is little room for making my bike suffer.haha

·
Registered
63 Posts
soft copper washer, should replace with new but the cheats method is to anneal the washer by removing it ,heating it to red hot(cherry coloured glow) and dropping it in cold water,this will soften the washer to allow it to form a seal again,classic bike restorers use this trick on old copper head gaskets that arent made any more. iwould also suggest that you smear a small amount of silicone gasket around the washer as you install it to be 100% cerain of no further leaks.
also, to hold the inner and stop it spinning inside the fork and to allow you to tighten it properly a wooden broom handle thrust down the fork (with the internals removed) and pushed firmly will do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts