Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my latest rifle build. Nothing too crazy but should be a fun project for me! This is a switch barrel setup, meaning I'm putting together a setup that will allow me to switch barrels to choose between two chamberings. First one in .22-250 and the second in .308 win. This is done easily with a savage platform. The .22-250 and .308 share the same bolt, action, and magazine, only the barrels are changed over. A savage has a threaded barrel and barrel nut that will allow me to consistently reproduce the same headspacing each time the barrels are switched.

This isn't quite like switching barrels on a shotgun, not quite as easy, but since I love to tinker and turn wrenches I don't mind.

So here's my setup.

Action is a stevens 200 short action
Trigger is a competition trigger assembly from Sharp Shooter Supply
Stock is choate tactical
.22-250 barrel is a factory heavy varmint barrel from savage 26" with 1 in 12" twist
.308 barrel is a factory heavy barrel from savage 24" 10 fcp hs precision 1 in 10" twist
extended bolt handle from sharp shooter supply
caldwell 9-13" bipod
savage two piece steel weaver bases
1" burris medium height signature series zee rings
scope is Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x mil-dot w/ side focus, sunshade and target turrets

That's about it so far. Just need to start tuning hand loads for each caliber.

Enjoy the crappy photos.

·
GDC's only parttime ninja
1,027 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. How do you like that stock? I was wanting to put an accu-trigger left-hand savage in one and think about a heavy barrel and nice scope for it.
So far I like the stock, slightly heavier than a standard synthetic stock. It has good stiffness from the full length bedding block, which also is why it's a little heavier. This is the second stock though, the first one I ordered had the bedding block mounted at an angle and things would not line up. I have heard this is not uncommon, however I called choate and they shipped the stock back and replaced it with a new one and didn't cost me a pennie.

Best price I've found on the stock was from tacticalworks.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts