Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
can i ask what you guys are gonna use it for? because in order to really get the best use out of it, you need to know what temps your tires work best at, what temps you are leaving the pits at, and what temps your tires are at immediately after a hot lap.

that means you need to have someone waiting for you on hot pit (or right by pit in) with the thermometer, and your off lap must be a hot lap, including getting off the track and coming into the pits. no cool down period at all...

during track days i basically only use it to make sure my warmers are pulling full wattage and getting up to temp so i know i'm not going out on cold or cool tires.

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,170 Posts
can i ask what you guys are gonna use it for?
Like I said, I bought it cuz it was on sale super cheap.

during track days i basically only use it to make sure my warmers are pulling full wattage and getting up to temp so i know i'm not going out on cold or cool tires.
Interesting idea. I usually give the tires a half a lap to warm up even off the warmers, except in cold weather I will go a lap or two :dunno

·
meep meep
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can i ask what you guys are gonna use it for? because in order to really get the best use out of it, you need to know what temps your tires work best at, what temps you are leaving the pits at, and what temps your tires are at immediately after a hot lap.

that means you need to have someone waiting for you on hot pit (or right by pit in) with the thermometer, and your off lap must be a hot lap, including getting off the track and coming into the pits. no cool down period at all...

after reading a bunch of tire threads and having more tire than you need i wanted to do basically what you said in the first paragraph, or at least attempt to do it and get a accurate reading.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
If you are going to use it, take a reading at the inside of the rim at the center as well as the tire.
+1

inside center of rim, and on the tire at 3 points (center, and both sides) if you want to be accurate.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I use it to shoot the pavement and get track temp....that is all those are good for. If you want reliable tire temps get a pyrometer. The surface cools to quickly to be of use. You need the temps deeper in the tread.

·
Consistent, albeit slow
1,696 Posts
Like I said, I bought it cuz it was on sale super cheap.
^^^ Harbor Freight addiction ! :lol

I bought one too. I've seen that one for as low as $25 @ HB

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,170 Posts
If your rim is cold, means the air inside the tire is probably cold. Setting "hot pressure" with cold air means when the air inside the tire warms up, your pressures are going to jump and cause your tire pressures to be way off.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Oh okay, cool. So when you get off the track and measure (when everything is heated up) will the rim typically be hotter than the tire because the surface of the tire will cool faster?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Oh okay, cool. So when you get off the track and measure (when everything is heated up) will the rim typically be hotter than the tire because the surface of the tire will cool faster?
no, definitely not. the tire will still be much hotter than the rim. generally we look for rim temps 10-20 degrees hotter than ambient temps to check if a tire is warm.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I use it to shoot the pavement and get track temp....that is all those are good for. If you want reliable tire temps get a pyrometer. The surface cools to quickly to be of use. You need the temps deeper in the tread.

:stupid.

Surface temps will likely be 40-50 degrees colder than what a pyrometer will read from what I gather.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For cars we use these constantly, track temps, brakes, tires, suspension... I have a radio shack one that has never failed me for about 60$ from 4 years ago or so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
DTM-POW3R
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing