Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any have/use a laser and/or light on a pistol? I've been doing some reading/researching and I'm looking to pick one up for my CZ SP-01. I really like the green laser, but just trying to get some input. I would like the combo, but I have a Surefire that sit in the drawer right next to it w/ a M61 Malkoff drop in, in it - link to follow just in case anyone is curious:
(http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff-p-7.html - and that's a good ass deal. I paid $75 for mine)

*One I've been leaning towards is this Viridian:

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/viridian-c5l-laser-sight
or
http://www.botachtactical.com/vic5lseligrl.html - $249.95
----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The other one of course is the Streamlight TLR-2:

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=81

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/894936/streamlight-tlr-2-tactical-illuminator-flashlight-white-led-with-laser-and-batteries-2-cr123a-lithium-fits-picatinny-or-glock-style-rails-aluminum-matte $249.99
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I seen a couple other ones on eBay that have a green laser/light but they aren't any brand I heard of. I contacted the seller and he said they are solid & made by Laserspeed. He said it has up too 220 lumens vs. 160 lumens on the TLR-2.

After a quick Google of that, it appears it's made in China...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110725691173?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D110725691173%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Anyone have any experience with something like this? And I like the Surefire but I'm not down for paying close to 6 bills for it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't run any lights or lasers on any of my pistols and I don't have experience with them, but if you're going to use it for defense situations, remember they point both ways.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I've had 2 Crimson Trace grip lasers on a pair of Glocks, 23C & a 26, for about 5 years. Used for daily carry by both of us & never had an issue with them yet.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean Skull?

I saw those and like them, we had them on our M9s when I was in the military. I actually acquired one for an M9 :shifty
But I think I want the light on the front of it too. If I wanted just the laser, they are like half price.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well if using it in a defensive situation, a light or laser is going to be visible from where you're pointing from and what/who you're pointing at. No element of surprise is what I'm getting at. I prefer night sights but I do see where a light on the pistol would come in handy instead of trying to hold a big light with your off hand. A handgun is a shitty defensive weapon to begin with, and should only be used to get you to a rifle or shotgun. Sorry if that wasn't what you were looking for lol, sometimes I get off track. Some pistols do look pretty cool with the light/laser combo though, I just don't know what yours would look like.

*edit- looked it up on google images, looks pretty sweet just on it's own but couldn't find much with light/laser combos

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally understand :lol
I have night sights on it already so I'm good there. This is kind of a toy as well. I bought my CZ with the intentions of putting something like this on it. I really like how bright the light is on the Streamlight, but I like the green laser on the Viridian and I read nothing but good review on it. Staying zero'ed, not adding much weight, and the light will be plenty bright in a dark house if I ever needed it.

I just bought the Viridian. I'll post back with a review after I get it and play with it.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
What do you mean Skull?

I saw those and like them, we had them on our M9s when I was in the military. I actually acquired one for an M9 :shifty
But I think I want the light on the front of it too. If I wanted just the laser, they are like half price.
The inability to easily replace the factory sights on the M9 was the main reason for equipping a laser sight.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
To add on to what Skullman 14 was saying. There is a strong argument for being able to have both hands available to control a weapon. Personally, I'm not a fan of the light/laser combo weaponlights...there's a good chance if one function fails, so will the other. In the end, it will all boil down to training.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I read a lot of those arguements as well. It can be operated with one hand but like I said, I do have night sights and I will need to shoot a lot with it to get comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
When I had my TLR-2, it did make for a nice training aid while dry-firing.

I have no experience with Viridian products, and I will stand behind Streamlight's products as I use them at work and they have proven to me to be durable, but as far as brightness goes Surefire cannot be matched. I was amazed by how much brighter my X300 is compared to the TLR-2 I had.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted the Streamlight, but I want the green laser. What I really want is the Surefire X400; but not for $600. Although I did find one on eBay, after I bought this for like $410. But maybe if I don't like this, I'll send it back for the X400. I wish Surefire would drop one with the green laser, that would be sick. And I agree, Surefire can't be matched. I love mine with that Malkoff drop in. It's stupid bright. I've had that that flashlight forever & would to get another one.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
I've never heard of Viridian or Laserspeed. I've used Streamlight products both on and off duty, and Surefire stuff at work. Both have great reputations both for building good stuff and standing behind if if you do have an issue. I have a couple TLR-1's for my duty weapons, but I've never used the 2. A girl in the academy had one and couldn't hit shit, but I'm not going to let that reflect poorly on her equipment.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If it's just a range toy, f-it, do whatever you want to it. Post up a pic when you get it in, you got me thinking about putting a laser on my USP.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never heard of Viridian or Laserspeed. I've used Streamlight products both on and off duty, and Surefire stuff at work. Both have great reputations both for building good stuff and standing behind if if you do have an issue. I have a couple TLR-1's for my duty weapons, but I've never used the 2. A girl in the academy had one and couldn't hit shit, but I'm not going to let that reflect poorly on her equipment.
I know. I never heard of Viridian until about 2 weeks ago. That laserspeed is some China shit. Hell with that crap. But I researched it and I really haven't found much bad about it. But I do agree, I am taking a chance with this. I got 30 days so we'll see how I like it. I'm not partial to buying stuff like this; as in not hearing of it or "brand name". But it seems like a solid unit and I've read a ton of interviews. I feel pretty good about it. But if I don't feel good once I get it, it's going back.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's just a range toy, f-it, do whatever you want to it. Post up a pic when you get it in, you got me thinking about putting a laser on my USP.
It's a little of both. I've never shot with a laser before and I read the pros/cons of having one for home defense. It's just something I've always wanted. If I end up not caring for it, so be it. But I gotta get it out to a buddies farm where I can really get on it instead of these typical ranges. I will post a review and some pictures once I get it. I'm pretty stoked although I'm always like this when I buy new shit.:lol

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the Viridian C5L on my Xdm. Its an outstanding unit, the laser is way brighter than any others I have seen.
How long have you had it? How often do you use it? It seems pretty solid. You shoot with it a lot? Any problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1.
My opinion, they do more harm than good.
Have to disagree. I've been looking at the Viridian light/laser for quite a while. They have amazing output during the day, but yes during the night they can be traced back to the source. The light is amazing bright.

The red lasers are actually quite difficult to see at night, I have a TLR-2 I have on my M&P for duty and you cannot trace the source back unless there is a lot of contaminant hanging around in the air ie dust/fog.

Always fire your first shot reflex with the iron sights though, and then if you have to use the laser. Personally I love the TLR-2, and will be adding the Viridian C5L to my LEFTY (superior) STAG rifle :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
11 Participants
quikslvr750
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing