Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The track I race at requires a lanyard / tether kill switch for anyone running 10.99 and faster or 120+ mph.
Last time I went, my trap speed was never below 120 ... luckily no one seem'd to notice or say anything.

I've seen all sorts of different styles and a couple of home-made ones.
The cheapest one I saw was a tether cord glue'd to the bottom half of the stock kill switch.
I also saw some that use'd a fuse ... it look'd like they put a small pin through the fuse and when it gets pull'd from the fuse it kills the power.

So what I need are suggestions ... what do you guys use / like ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
well if you are low on the money flow just put a screw though the shut off switch just the same as the glue but will stay alot longer just my 2 cents

·
Registered
474 Posts
Some more info on the bike might help. NHRA changed the rules that if you have a factory tip over kill on the bike (which most fuel injected bikes do) a lanyard is not required. Otherwise do as stated above, or screw in a self tapping eyelet and attach the lanyard to that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
81 Posts
So I bought a lanyard at this local bike store for like $20. My question is why the hell does it tell me to splice the wires into the headlight? Doesnt make any sense what so ever. Second if I use an screw threw my shut off, I need the lanyard to shut the bike of and unconnect because I dont want the bike to drag my ass. Third where is the fuse box located on the k5 1000 and has anybody done the fuse lanyard on the k5 1k? thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
The fuse box is on the left side of the bike, below the tank, behind the fairing. Approximately 1"-2" below where your knee is when riding. Most lanyards are strong enough to pull the switch, but weak enough to break when the rider and bike seperate and start sliding. I've only used a lanyard on my Bandit because it had carbs. My K5 doesn't require one where it has a tip over switch.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rockin C Racing said:
The fuse box is on the left side of the bike, below the tank, behind the fairing. Approximately 1"-2" below where your knee is when riding. Most lanyards are strong enough to pull the switch, but weak enough to break when the rider and bike seperate and start sliding. I've only used a lanyard on my Bandit because it had carbs. My K5 doesn't require one where it has a tip over switch.
Thanks again, looks like I probably wont need one, do you have any idea why the instructions say to remove the headlight and splice into those wires? Now im just curious why it would even say that makes no sense. Track got rained out today didnt even get one pass in:crying

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't have a clue why it would say that. Never messed with it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
im glad i read this post and didnt buy a kill switch, Wasnt too sure as i havent recieved my NHRA license and rulebook yet so I called Gainesville Raceway and talked with someone there, the 2007 rule is 10.99 or quicker must have either factory equipped tip over switch or lanyard kill hooked to low voltage side of electrical system

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
only problem im facing is that there is no room to add a teather on my handle bars ( 2007 gsxr 1000 ) So i may have to do a homemade one... gah

·
Registered
104 Posts
Markopolian said:
only problem im facing is that there is no room to add a teather on my handle bars ( 2007 gsxr 1000 ) So i may have to do a homemade one... gah

I thought the same thing about my 06 1K, but once i started taking things apart, i made it fit..... I bought mine from MPS racing yesterday just so i have no worries about a-holes at tech

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rockin C Racing said:
Some more info on the bike might help. NHRA changed the rules that if you have a factory tip over kill on the bike (which most fuel injected bikes do) a lanyard is not required. Otherwise do as stated above, or screw in a self tapping eyelet and attach the lanyard to that.
so a k3 1000 has this switch I assume?

·
Registered
474 Posts
oldskoolgix said:
so a k3 1000 has this switch I assume?
I believe it does. One way to test is start the bike and slowly start laying it down. If it shuts off before reaching the ground then most likely you have a tip over switch. I highly suggest getting a friend to help do this so as not to drop or damage your bike. Some times road racers will either fill the switch with epoxy or remove and rewire the bike so that it doesn't shut off when leaned over in a corner. So if you bought the bike used, I would check to make sure it functions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can anyone confirm if Moroso Motorsports park in WPB, FL will require or not require a seperate teathered kill for a 2005 GSXR 1000.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
01 and newer gsxr 1000 has a factory tip over switch so a tether is not required. That is the NHRA's rule. Some tracks are dumb and will argue that it is not correct. I tell them to go grab their book and read it. If it is too much of a hassle I always take my lanyard with me to other tracks so to make sure I can run. Don't want to travel 9 hours to a drag strip and be told you can't run.
I have a:
http://www.fastbygast.com/Catagories/Products/Description/KillSwitch.asp
Mounted on my vortex clip on's.

this one is pretty trick and will work on a 1000.
http://www.pmrcomponents.com/pmrweb_043.html

No extra bar space needed. Just remove the one side off of the brake master cylinder and put this on in it's place. pretty trick set up. It was not available when I go mine.

I can get these and alot of other drag race stuff if you need it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
OK, I went to Moroso Motorsports park yesterday night to watch. I went to Tech to ask about the teather kill switch. I saw the rule book and it says no teather needed with a factory tip over switch plain as day but they didn't seem to understand in tech. Basically, no teather, no run in WPB. He tried to tell me that I needed an aluminum or steel chain guard that goes 1/2 way around the sprocket. I read the passage he got that from and it says something to the effect that it must go to the center line of the sprocket (only covering the top) and must be alum or steel UNLESS OEM is different. I don't think that the fellow has a good command of the English language which is sad because it is the only one he knows. I guess that the easy thing to do is get a damn teather kill. It pisses me off that I have to spend $ because none of the tech people can comprehend what they are reading!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes some tracks still require it. NHRA rule book is a minimum safety guide for them to follow. It is the track discretion to go above and beyound the NHRA rule book.

In my opinion if a track does this, then they need to print and distribute a rule book with there rules, so people will know and can setup to pass tech.

·
Registered
104 Posts
adam_sean said:
Can anyone confirm if Moroso Motorsports park in WPB, FL will require or not require a seperate teathered kill for a 2005 GSXR 1000.

moroso will definatly require one... from what i have heard they are a-holes about tech...

you gonna run at the all bike drags sat night??

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
according to nhra you have to run a tether if going faster then 9's. I had them say some thing about this at sacramento this last weekend. So I just put my lanyard on.
The chain gaurd is supposed to cover the top of the chain to the center of the rear sprocket.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts