Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've yet to really do a wheelie, but I am certainly in the pursuit of it. Most people are sooooo worried about how to get the wheel off the ground, nobody really worries about how to put it back down. I know that if its not straight it'll tankslap on ya (been there, done that, not interested in doing it agin!) Anybody got any tips on landing a good wheelie...yea I know, get a stabilizer!

------------------
- Jasen Hicks
Yellow and Black 2001 GSXR-600

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
Don't use the back brakes! And if you're not very good at them, don't do them at slow speeds, becuase that is when they will come down harder. If you're doing them at around 40mph, just try to ease off the throttle instead of letting off completely.

------------------
1998 GSX-R750 (black/red), Hindle racing exhaust, removed PAIR system, PCII, K&N, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, trailer taillight/blinker conversion, no more rear fender, license plate wired to wheel well...

my crappy site

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree, the slower you set down the front tire, the easier it is on the whole bike. Just rolling off the throttle is one of the best ways. Save the back brake method for in case you are going to flip it.

Chris

------------------
97 GSXR 750 White/Blue
Hindle Full Race Exhaust, K&N Filters, K&N Jet Kit, Vortex Sprocket

97GIXXER750 on sportbikes.net

First Wheelie Attempt Ever (School Parking Lot)
Don't worry, this was on the way UP!

[This message has been edited by 97GSXR750 (edited 02-08-2001).]

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yeah I need to let mine downa little easier, last night I slammed a big one down and felt bad for my forks
guess I need to ease off the throttle better. also I am still not liking clutch wheelies in 2nd yet, they seem kinda violent - I need someone to show me how they do them (my friend on a 98 RR I'm sure has the key for me). mostly I've been doing 1st gear throttle wheelies and shifting into second, not too many shifting wheelies though. I'm still a pussy about it, and worried since if I wreck my bike I am screwed royally.

------------------
1998 GSX-R750, what is "stock" ??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Damn, atleast you can shift in your wheelie. I haven't been able to do that yet. Hopefully the inverted shifter will help a bit. I do clutch-wheelies in 2nd gear and they come up fine for me. Not too violent at all. I get scared when i do the throttle wheelies cause i'm not sure exactly how high the front end is going to come up. With the clutch ones, you can monitor it by adjusting RPM. oh well. spring will be here soon and i will be practicing.

Chris

------------------
97 GSXR 750 White/Blue
Hindle Full Race Exhaust, K&N Filters, K&N Jet Kit, Vortex Sprocket

97GIXXER750 on sportbikes.net

First Wheelie Attempt Ever (School Parking Lot)
Don't worry, this is on the way up.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
My preffered method of landing a wheelie, is panic that the front is too high, shut the throttle quick and slam my nuts into the tank. Obviously my cajones then act as shock absorbers, limiting any damage to the bike.

------------------

"Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own theme park! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the blackjack."

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey Jason, you want some hands on instruction, you need to hang with some of the more cephlopodian TSBA guys. Hook up with the crew next Tuesday for the Blue Goose run for a running of the squids. The bad weather ought to be gone by then. I think we can arrange for some impromptu instruction. If you're lucky Mitch will show up. The mans a stand up wheelie God!! ;-)

------------------

I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming, and covered in blood.

·
Registered
233 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eusasc:
Hey Jason, you want some hands on instruction, you need to hang with some of the more cephlopodian TSBA guys. We'd be happy to take you under our tenticles..... errr arms. Hook up with the crew next Tuesday for the Blue Goose run for a running of the squids. The bad weather ought to be gone by then. I think we can arrange for some impromptu instruction. If you're lucky Mitch will show up. The mans a stand up wheelie God!! ;-)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming, and covered in blood.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Aw, don't bust his balls.. it's a cute wheelie! You gotta start somewhere, right? We don't need him flipping it!

------------------

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i know i know

the pics bad enough, but the comment after it is just sad

argh my evil side is seeping out..

------------------

·
.............OG
37,640 Posts
you shouldn't talk sh*t pabsy until you show us that you can do a better wheelie.

------------------
1998 GSX-R750 (black/red), Hindle racing exhaust, removed PAIR system, PCII, K&N, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, trailer taillight/blinker conversion, no more rear fender, license plate wired to wheel well...

my crappy site

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
hunter

ok
just having a little fun
everyone has to start somewhere

this was loudon n/h 99, (the whole front straight btw)

------------------

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
nice RR man...except its not a gixxer!

------------------
1998 GSX-R750, what is "stock" ??

VIDEOS

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the invite eusasc, but you may have forgotten that I do hang with you guys, and am usually at the goose lately, and have yet to actually see ya ride a good one!!! Besides, I know you've got plenty of bikes, so if I flip mine, can I have one of yours??? BTW, Scott's not too bad at the wheelies either...

------------------
- Jasen Hicks

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
jp233

929 will be gone this week.. farewell.

incoming
01 track only 600 gixer, which is sweeeeet !
01 1000 for the street hopefully in a couple of weeks (black)

------------------

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pabsy, post some pics of that sweet 600. I wanna see what you have done for the track to make it one bad a$$ momma!!!

------------------
- Jasen Hicks

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
for the track they don't need much:

lockwire / lap timer / hindle hi-mount / filters / pcIII / braided front line / race-plastic w/dzus fasteners / zero gravity double bubble / sliders / keyless gas cap / ignition removed / bars dropped 20mm / a little setup / race gas / shift light / cfm rearsets / clutchless shifter / strip off what you can, on mine 12lb / dunlop 208's
(not everyhing is done yet)

i also put on a stealth street legal kit
to put miles on the motor
(apologies if youve seen the pics before)

single 1" single 55watt light bolted under the triple clamp / leds all round & trailer hitch light / single blindspot mirror inside the fairing / libertec single wite led license plate light
the nice think about the street legal gear is that you can't see any of it unless you crouched down or the bike is switched on

i think thats all of it !

phew !

------------------

·
Registered
974 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NotoriousREV:
My preffered method of landing a wheelie, is panic that the front is too high, shut the throttle quick and slam my nuts into the tank. Obviously my cajones then act as shock absorbers, limiting any damage to the bike.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SOOO true!! Been there too many times. Damn I hate it when I do that. It is good to know that I am not the only one currently using this technique!

------------------

Jaymz72
Y2K 750 yel/blk
RS3 Titanium S/O(not shown in pic)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts