Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yupp. Was at the after-gathering at my friend's mom's funeral. Parked towards the end of the lot, at the front of the parking spot. Lady came around and ''didn't see'' my bike because of the car next to me. Smacked into the right front fairing, pushed it back kickstand side 4-5 feet and threw it over. Currently waiting on the ''damage assessment'' for insurance reasons. There was a tiny bit of coolant under the bike... when we got it upright it didn't look like it was leaking... about 1.8 miles in it started spewing...

At least she stuck around and didn't bail, she committed 100% to myself, and the police that she was at fault.

Could have been worse I guess, but still fucking sucks. Bike was/is literally 3 months old, 3100 miles. I think that the worst part is just being so out of control. I had nothing to do with the accident (I was inside). I don't know how long it will take for everything to process. I don't know how long it will take to repair. I feel stolen from, like... I can't ride... and it's 100% not even my fault). UGGGHHHH.

·
16,990 Posts
Sucks, but at least she hung around and took blame. There have been many a threads where someone comes out from a store and their bike was knocked over.

Good luck with insurance, shouldn't take more than a few weeks to get her back on the road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow! That shit sucks! Glad you weren’t on it when she did this.

How were you parked in the spot, I know when I park in spots and there is another car on either side of me, I pull all the way in at an angle and then 3 point turn my ass around so it’s facing the front of the parking spot and roll down with the front of my bike to the end of the parking spot but with an outward facing angle of attack. I line up as center as I can at that point and as low towards the opening of the parking spot as possible, this way someone coming around can see the bike when they’re cruising for a spot.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,559 Posts
At first I thought that you'd parked it in some hidden niche but this was in plain sight. Furthermore it's yellow! She had to be texting or drunk or something. I'm thinking $2000-$2500 for all the new plastics, etc. A new radiator is $650. Probably not a good idea to be jabbering away making a video under those circumstances, though it nicely documents the radiator issue.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
When you say "front of the spot" do you mean all the way in, or just in far enough you're not sticking out into the isle? I park so the end of my bike is even with the bumpers of the cars on either side. Hell, I've whipped into what I thought was an empty spot only to see a bike deep in the spot. I never hit one, but this has happened more than once. A bike deep in a spot looks like an empty spot....

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
If you don’t pull your bike in so the front or rear is sticking out of the end of the spot, you really can’t be surprised when someone hits you. Your bike is invisible up until it’s too late.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When you say "front of the spot" do you mean all the way in, or just in far enough you're not sticking out into the isle? I park so the end of my bike is even with the bumpers of the cars on either side. Hell, I've whipped into what I thought was an empty spot only to see a bike deep in the spot. I never hit one, but this has happened more than once. A bike deep in a spot looks like an empty spot....
TheGeek -- Front of the spot meaning up to the parking curb of.. I use that as a point of reference, I then back it back out or multi-point turn to where the front wheel is towards the direct of travel.. In this case out of the parking spot so that when I'm leaving I'm facing the direction I'll be leaving... I also make sure that when I do this that I'm down at the end with the front wheel sticking out but still with in the parking spot. This way if a car is coming along they should see the front of the bike with out any trouble. I'll take a pic of it next time for clarification.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Okay, I am not laughing at your misfortune... but, Jesus!

You had to make a shitty youtube vid with a pewdiepie-style thumbnail AND put your helmet on top of the bike? Your join date invalidates my assumption that you are a zoomer...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sucks, but at least she hung around and took blame. There have been many a threads where someone comes out from a store and their bike was knocked over.

Good luck with insurance, shouldn't take more than a few weeks to get her back on the road.

Agreed 100%. The biggest thing for me is just the "what if", the ''what's going to happen'' phase that I'm in. She very easily could have just left. Also, 2-3 weeks right now feels like 100 years lol. I only have so many months to ride in MN.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Consider yourself very lucky. Round here the drivers will knock you off while riding and still not stop around.
Agreed, that's honestly the #1 reason I mounted the go-pro... if I go down to something dumb (or not dumb)... there is no way my recollection will be good enough for a report. Editing videos outside of that is just something entertaining for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! That shit sucks! Glad you weren’t on it when she did this.

How were you parked in the spot, I know when I park in spots and there is another car on either side of me, I pull all the way in at an angle and then 3 point turn my ass around so it’s facing the front of the parking spot and roll down with the front of my bike to the end of the parking spot but with an outward facing angle of attack. I line up as center as I can at that point and as low towards the opening of the parking spot as possible, this way someone coming around can see the bike when they’re cruising for a spot.
I was pulled forward probably a foot from the end of the parking space lines. I always park at an angle when I'm in regular spaces, as forward as I think is reasonable just because I've pulled in 100+ times (it feels like) in my car only to realize there's a bike parked in the space. There was a car to the left of me when I parked, there wasn't a car to the right of me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully, you'll be up & running again in short order. :cheers
I appreciate it. Thank you. I feel like this will end up being an obnoxiously long process tho. Hopefully that's not the case.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Sucks man. A similar thing happened to our brand new 08 Ninja 250 about 10 years ago that we had just got for the lady. Only difference was that a food truck hit it instead of a regular car. Oh...and it wasn't in a parking lot. It was actually on the street, back tire against the curb the way bikes often get parked in the northeast metro areas. Total loss for us. Needless to say, I know how you feel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At first I thought that you'd parked it in some hidden niche but this was in plain sight. Furthermore it's yellow! She had to be texting or drunk or something. I'm thinking $2000-$2500 for all the new plastics, etc. A new radiator is $650. Probably not a good idea to be jabbering away making a video under those circumstances, though it nicely documents the radiator issue.
I was initially hesitant on creating and posting the video... but purely out of curiosity... (and just some personal insecure fundamental WTF reaction... more or less myself venting.. to myself, rather than exploding in a fit of rage), why is talking about it a bad idea? I guess I can see it as the claim hadn't been processed yet.

This whole thing is new to me. So honestly, I appreciate the feed back and advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I am not laughing at your misfortune... but, Jesus!

You had to make a shitty youtube vid with a pewdiepie-style thumbnail AND put your helmet on top of the bike? Your join date invalidates my assumption that you are a zoomer...
What is a zoomer? lol. Helmet is in "front" of the bike. I litterally walked around it, put down my jacket/sweat shirt hybrid thing from Speed and Strength (don't you judge me, we all ride "Gixxers", wearing nothing but wife beaters, cargo shorts and flip flops...). I put down my jacket, backpack and helmet right there and proceeded with whatever happened next.

Shitty "Pewdiepie" thumbnail is on point tho.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I pull as far forwards, or square off as much as I can. Typically with my headlight ''flush'' with a car's tail lights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sucks man. A similar thing happened to our brand new 08 Ninja 250 about 10 years ago that we had just got for the lady. Only difference was that a food truck hit it instead of a regular car. Oh...and it wasn't in a parking lot. It was actually on the street, back tire against the curb the way bikes often get parked in the northeast metro areas. Total loss for us. Needless to say, I know how you feel.
That's tough. It's just as cruddy that you just had no control over the entire situation. Thank you tho. I appreciate it. At the end of the day, it is what it is I guess. At the end of the day we' still goin'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
15 Participants
Serpent
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing