Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies, I'm posting this on behalf of my sister.

She'd like to buy a helmet here in the near future so she can ride on the back of my bike as well as have one for when she even eventually gets a bike. I'd just like to get an idea of what you ladies prefer as far as helmets go.

She liked the fit and feel of the Icon Alliance, but I don't know how comfortable I am with her wearing that helmet. I've heard some not-so-good things about Icon helmets, so I'd just like to get a few opinions on the Alliance as well as any others that you girls like to wear. Feel free to post pictures, what you like about the helmet, don't like about it, etc.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what you ladies sport :cheers

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
My wife wears a shoei RF1000. Best bang for your buck imo. Comfortable, quiet, and affordable. :)

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I've been wearing Arai almost exclusively since 1994. Weight, ventilation, fit, customizable and a proven track record. Any helmet which is DOT and preferably SNELL will offer protection but of course a good fit is important.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
The good thing about Arai is that they have several different models, all with different head shapes. A good bike shop will have the Arai instructions for sizing her head and checking the shape which will then give you the right model and size for her helmet. Very much worth the effort.

I get along just fine with Shoei RF1000/1100 so I get away with spending a bit less.

--Wag--

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so how about some more economical options? I know that Arai and Shoei both make excellent helmets... I just don't think she's looking to spend in the $400+ range when she's still a few years away from her own bike.

I just didn't know if there was some preferred helmet among the lady riders (don't see why there would be). So nothing is changed between helmets for guys and girls? I guess we'll just stick to the more reputable manufacturers. I know that a lot of it comes down to how the helmet fits, so I'll see if I can find a good bike shop to see if they can fit her properly. Thanks for the insight!

·
Banned
29,644 Posts
I've found some really good deals on the rf1000 2nd hand with little to no use. My current rf1000 I bought brand new in the box for 150. Still had the face shield cover. I'm good at finding bargains. You just have to know what to look for.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Okay, so how about some more economical options? I know that Arai and Shoei both make excellent helmets... I just don't think she's looking to spend in the $400+ range when she's still a few years away from her own bike.

I just didn't know if there was some preferred helmet among the lady riders (don't see why there would be). So nothing is changed between helmets for guys and girls? I guess we'll just stick to the more reputable manufacturers. I know that a lot of it comes down to how the helmet fits, so I'll see if I can find a good bike shop to see if they can fit her properly. Thanks for the insight!
Aside from graphics design/color, guys/gals helmets are the same. Just like you guys, ladies have their own helmet preferences, mine is Arai. As far as weight, comfort and ventilation, that does not change whether she is a passenger or riding her own bike.

How much she is willing to pay for comfort and peace of mind is her decision as it is her head in there. Many argue that an $80 DOT/SNELL helmet will protect just as well as an $800 DOT/SNELL helmet but I am not willing to bet my head on it :dunno

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going to have to say Arai as well. Most comfortable, quiet and well-fitting helmet I have ever owned. I also liked the fit of Suomy.

As for pricing, I got my 600 dollar helmet discounted (previous year model or it was an overstock) at about 399. I really don't look to save money on helmets. Just can't really put a price on my noodle like that. I have to figure that if I want to partake in a costly motorsport I may as well budget to spend the money for the good stuff.

Go get a fitting at a store and then order online. She can probably find a pretty badass helmet that is higher end (I agree about Icon helmets...) and fits perfectly... for the right price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completely agree with everything that's been said here. Helmets are definitely the last thing that any rider should cheap out on... It's just hard to justify spending that kind of money for something that's going to be used sparingly [at best] for the next few years. That being said, I will not let her get on any bike without anything less than a reputable / reliable helmet on her head.

I knew that I should have stayed with my hunch about the Icon helmets, but I think she's just excited to get one and be able to ride with me. If anything, I'll have her look into some of the Bell helmets as well as the Shoei stuff, so I'm sure we'll be able to find a viable option through either one of those manufacturers. Again, thank you for the insight and thoughtful responses thus far! They are greatly appreciated.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
+1 on shopping around. A good helmet can be found fairly inexpensively.

If you want, however, Scorpion EXO has gotten some reasonably good reviews.

--Wag--

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 on shopping around. A good helmet can be found fairly inexpensively.

If you want, however, Scorpion EXO has gotten some reasonably good reviews.

--Wag--
Yeah, we definitely need to do some shopping around before we make a decision. As far as the Scorpion EXO helmets go, I know they have some decent reviews. When we went to the local bike shop, she tried on the EXO-400, which is like their bottom of the line helmet.

I will, however, have her look into the EXO-1000 to see if we can find a better option that way. Maybe then we'll be able to find something that foots the bill at the price that she's looking to spend.

·
Proof u can't fix stupid
6,222 Posts
Most important thing is fitment vs brand. Every helmet is going to fit every head differently and in the end, an ill fitting helmet is more dangerous that a cheap, well fitting helmet. I tend to stay with the higher ends brands, Arai, Shoei, Suyomi, etc. In the end you only get one noggin so you need to protect it as much as possible. While the less expensive helmets can still protect your head, the higher ends ones are more expensive for a reason. ;) Graphics, etc are always the last thing you should consider. :cheers

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most important thing is fitment vs brand. Every helmet is going to fit every head differently and in the end, an ill fitting helmet is more dangerous that a cheap, well fitting helmet. I tend to stay with the higher ends brands, Arai, Shoei, Suyomi, etc. In the end you only get one noggin so you need to protect it as much as possible. While the less expensive helmets can still protect your head, the higher ends ones are more expensive for a reason. ;) Graphics, etc are always the last thing you should consider. :cheers
Well said, G-deb.

--Wag--
Agreed. I love my Bell RS-1, so I'll have her look at some of the Bells as well as Shoei and Scorpion. Thanks for all the advice ladies and gents, I'll be much more comfortable with knowing that she's got a good, safe helmet on her head as opposed to something like the Icon :cheers

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I've had experience with both Arai & Suomy. I wasn't happy when the bottom rubber piece came loose on my Arai (sticky mess during a class). I love the (higher-end) Suomy's light weight, comfort, & the iridium mirrored, fog prevention shield that came with my model. And the graphics are killer.

Both Suomy & Shoei make different shell sizes, and since I'm a small or xtra small, I don't feel like such a bubble head with those brands. I may try a Shoei RF1100 next.

For price, check out motorcyclegear.com closeouts. They can have some excellent deals & they have exceptional service.

Keep to a solid & you can save as much as $100, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had experience with both Arai & Suomy. I wasn't happy when the bottom rubber piece came loose on my Arai (sticky mess during a class). I love the (higher-end) Suomy's light weight, comfort, & the iridium mirrored, fog prevention shield that came with my model. And the graphics are killer.

Both Suomy & Shoei make different shell sizes, and since I'm a small or xtra small, I don't feel like such a bubble head with those brands. I may try a Shoei RF1100 next.

For price, check out motorcyclegear.com closeouts. They can have some excellent deals & they have exceptional service.

Keep to a solid & you can save as much as $100, too.

Good luck!
Good looking out! I was actually going to look into Suomy for my next helmet because I've heard great things about their helmets. Unfortunately, I'm unable to try any of them on since there are no retailers around my house.

Like I said, I think I just need to take her back to the cycle center and have her try on some other helmets. I should have realized that she just liked the look of the Icon and should have pointed her in another direction :nono

Oh well, glad I posted here to get some second opinions from everyone :cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts