Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
It would need to be made of cheese to need changing every 1K's!!!! Like I say forums are full of peps quoting this and that failure without any factual background. Has anyone on here actually experienced crank problems on their bike or actually know of someone who has?? If so please share the circumstances and pics.........if not it hasn't happened.......

Exactly ....... whooooooo has experienced it ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stumbled on this after searching for bad vibes as my L8 was taken back by the dealer and stripped.
First question Suzuki UK asked was has it been flashed and over revved? Yes to flash, to remove that 30mph jerk and hunt issue. No to rev limit raise.
Dealer stripped engine and it’s clean, so Suzuki are on the hook, but, they clearly know there’s a problem and went straight to flash and revs.
So as an owner with a recoded vibration issue and having experienced Suzuki’s response I’m calling them out. They know there’s a crank issue and they hope to avoid a recall. They also know about the vibration issue and are wriggling on that one too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thaaaaanx Coyote, now that sounds proper Suzuki response. Lol trying to staaaaaay off da hook. Preeeeeciate that info !!

QUOTE=Coyotegsxr;9569936]Stumbled on this after searching for bad vibes as my L8 was taken back by the dealer and stripped.
First question Suzuki UK asked was has it been flashed and over revved? Yes to flash, to remove that 30mph jerk and hunt issue. No to rev limit raise.
Dealer stripped engine and it’s clean, so Suzuki are on the hook, but, they clearly know there’s a problem and went straight to flash and revs.
So as an owner with a recoded vibration issue and having experienced Suzuki’s response I’m calling them out. They know there’s a crank issue and they hope to avoid a recall. They also know about the vibration issue and are wriggling on that one too.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update on my bike - as posted elsewhere, Suzuki finally agreed to resolve under warranty and without doing any further analysis went straight to the crankshaft and replaced it with the only spare one left in Europe. Vibration has reduced slightly.
Questions - why did they replace the crank without any other analysis? why are spare cranks in Europe so low in availability?
Observations - they know something, but can you imagine the hit they'd take if there was a full crankshaft recall coz the original spec was out or the manufacture was poor?
Be careful out there, people. If you can, get the engine out and get it check balanced. Vibration Free in Bicester were interesting to chat to if you're in the UK.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Out of curiosity, any updates on this issue.
This thread has striking similarities with the K5/K6 frame recall thread.
Lots called BS in that thread and we all know what ended up happening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All - It is with a heavy heart that I write the following. I am no longer the owner of a GSXR 1000RR L18. And as you will have noted from my moniker, I am a devotee of the type.

You may have seen my previous post on this thread. Long story short, two identical L18s. One was butter smooth and one was a bag of high frequency vibration. Took it back to the dealer, who agreed the vibrations were bad. They referred it to the importers, who sat on the issue for 6 (SIX!) weeks last summer, then agreed to change the crank shaft without taking any measurements. The old crank was removed and I got to see it. I saw that crank shaft balancing had been achieved by drilling at the output end of the shaft on the large cog. There was a lot of drilling.

A new crank was fitted. It wasn't much better. The bike was unrideable due to the vibrations through the handlebars - in short, it was agony after a few miles. Evotech bar ends were fitted, which helped a little.

With 2500 miles on the clock, and a rebuilt engine with a brand new crank shaft, I took it to a highly reputable vibration analysis company. They put a gauge on the left bar and started the engine. They allowed it to warm up to the point the fan kicked in. They noted that the brake lever was vibrating so badly at idle that it was uncomfortable to rest your fingers on it. They then revved the engine up to 3000 rpm and noted that the vibration was twice revs and there did not appear to be a resonant frequency. The amplitude of the vibration increased with revs. They had their suspicions as to the cause and looked at pictures of the crank shafts on their computer, noting the drilling at the output end to achieve balance. They then took a measure of the vibration as close to the crank as possible, by placing a gauge on the rear of the crankcase just in front of the swing arm pivot. The plan was to test the vibration at 1000 rpm, 3000 rpm and 6000 rpm.

The test got as far as 5200 rpm before they stopped as there was no need to go further and the amplitude of the vibration was way off the scale anyway. At this point they gave me their fully informed diagnosis.

(These words are mine, not theirs as I am not an engineer, and need to put it into language I am happy with.)
The crank shaft was not balanced longitudinally. This has the effect of setting up a "whip" along the length of the shaft - imagine a sinusoidal wave along the crank - resulting in a vibration at twice rpm at all revs. The reason for this is that, it appears, the manufacturer has considered the crank to be a rigid item along its length, and not bothered to balance it for all the lobes (rotating masses). This is a cost saving exercise, as engineers are very familiar with the behaviour of crank shafts, and would know about this phenomenon. As the revs increase the "whip" gets worse, to the point where, at 5200rpm the amplitude of the vibration was off the scale. Higher revs would have just increased the amplitude.

Ramifications - The flexing of the unbalanced crank is causing the vibrations. This will certainly cause premature wear on the shells. How premature? Dunno.
The "whip' in the shaft will also cause fatigue in the shaft and the development of crack(s), probably near the output end as this is the most secure end (imagine it as the handle of the whip). The fatigue will almost certainly result in a crank shaft failure, which will occur soonest in constantly high revving engines (remember those pictures of failed cranks on racing bikes?).

Armed with my newly acquired knowledge I went back to the dealer and importer. The importer's engineer looked at the bike and compared it with their own ride, and the dealer demo. Their conclusion? My bike was fit for purpose and (and this is important), no better, or worse than the other two bikes in the sample - I.E. THEY ALL DO THAT, SIR!

Good luck all. I wish you well. Coytegsxr signing off.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,077 Posts
has anyone balanced a crank to confirm the above? (i know PTR have pulled down a few of these engines)
would be easy to tell.

AFAIK the vibes are because the engine is a stressed member with no balance/counter shaft

having vibration engineers look into something without tearing down the engine and analyzing all components is kind of useless. you cannot pick a location of a vibration without knowing the engines contents and weighing and measuring all components.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello, two years ago I published some photos in this thread looking for information, I finally bought another engine, this weekend after two years I have had the same problem again, again the same fault, if someone has updated information it would be great help. Thank you, greetings for everybody

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, two years ago I published some photos in this thread looking for information, I finally bought another engine, this weekend after two years I have had the same problem again, again the same fault, if someone has updated information it would be great help. Thank you, greetings for everybody

View attachment 573510
Kilometers? Kilómetros? Race ? Calle o circuito ?

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
superbikes change them every 900 km - maybe it should be part of maintenance for track bikes just like experts should do refresh every season

jason

·
Registered
49 Posts
in suzuki they have replaced the crankshaft reference, does anyone know the reason? the current crankshaft is as weak as 2017?
I find it difficult to understand how it is so weak? never before on any motorcycle had I had to change the crankshaft.

·
Registered
Gsxr1000r 2017
6 Posts
Failed to read the whole thread, tried to delete my reply.
Anyway, def following this thread! Can’t say I’m comfy going in to the next season with a lot off track days planed after reading this..

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
from what i understand it is the torque feeding from the rear tire through the transmission to the crank. -

THIS IS NOT NORMAL OR COMMON. that said it has happened and from what i understand in the USA we have not had a single crank failure of a STOCK engine - the key word is stock. so if you have not gone into the motor then dont worry about it.

jason

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

Can we have a picture of the whole (broken) crankshaft ? So we can identify that it is GSXR crankshaft.

View attachment 573510

101 - 120 of 144 Posts