Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several reported cases of crankshafts breaking at least six to my knowledge.
They have broken between the drive gear journal and main bearing.This has occurred between 600 and 1500 miles.
This is probably a design or batch manufacturing fault by the look of it.
Does anyone else have experience of this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2017 Suzuki GSX-R1000 (base non-ABS) has just passed 1500 miles and I haven't had a problem or noticed anything. I dont know anyone with this bike yet and haven't heard anything regarding it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
I beat the hell out of mine and haven’t incurred any problems. Jason from Karns believe I did something to my transmission but he can comment what that is because I have zero idea

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Superbikes in Europe are have to replace cranks regularly following failures. The same is also occurring on Superstock And track day bikes.
Suzuki are being very cagey about how many cranks have been replaced under warranty.
Does anyone know if race teams in the US have the same issue.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Superbikes in Europe are have to replace cranks regularly following failures. The same is also occurring on Superstock And track day bikes.
Suzuki are being very cagey about how many cranks have been replaced under warranty.
Does anyone know if race teams in the US have the same issue.
where did you/get that info? any links? It's the first time I'm reading something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
as far as i have herd there has been no motor failures of any kind on the L7 in any of the top superbike teams (they have to use the stock crank)
the ones i have chatted with are very happy with the reliability of the new engine.

i have seen the inside and it appears that the new engine is built with durability in mind (cases are thicker for boring, there is alot more metal everwhere, the rods appear to be stronger, the valve train has deeper cotters/shim pockets ect.)

jason

·
The Crazy Hungarian
2,549 Posts
Never heard this problem. I am here in Europe and our tzeam races this bikes second year now without any issue. Even in the IDM Championship in the GSXR1000 Cup, i never heard anyone had such an issue in the last two years,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bull shit fake news....I'm in the UK and speak with the Suzuki dealers and have not heard anything. We are the owners so without examples its total crap. Admin should delete thread imo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really not surprising check with dealers close to racing. Several broke last year hence the need to change cranks on Superbikes regularly. Also affecting Superstock and track day bikes. I believe a crank failed on a Superstock bike at the weekend at Thruxton and Bob Collins had to replace an engine after his engine was wrecked by a broken crank.
Waiting to hear what Suzuki are doing about it. The very least they should be doing is giving advice regarding the failures.
It will be a shame if a great bike is ruined by a fundamental defect.
May not affect road bikes but race bikes failing will affect their reputation.
The latest model Yamaha R1 had a problem with both cranks and rod breakages which is well documented. Yamaha were in denial but eventually modified the parts.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Bull shit fake news....I'm in the UK and speak with the Suzuki dealers and have not heard anything. We are the owners so without examples its total crap. Admin should delete thread imo.
Really!!! Way to give the guy a warm welcome to the forum.

He was just asking a question if anyone on this forum has experienced crank failures. I would assume he has some insight or fist hand knowledge of crank failures on the L7 GSXR 1000 and would like to hear what he has to say about it.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Really not surprising check with dealers close to racing. Several broke last year hence the need to change cranks on Superbikes regularly. Also affecting Superstock and track day bikes. I believe a crank failed on a Superstock bike at the weekend at Thruxton and Bob Collins had to replace an engine after his engine was wrecked by a broken crank.
Waiting to hear what Suzuki are doing about it. The very least they should be doing is giving advice regarding the failures.
It will be a shame if a great bike is ruined by a fundamental defect.
May not affect road bikes but race bikes failing will affect their reputation.
The latest model Yamaha R1 had a problem with both cranks and rod breakages which is well documented. Yamaha were in denial but eventually modified the parts.
Now that the GSXR is going on it's second year I am not surprised to see some things start to surface. With the new crop of liter bikes making 200 HP they are bound to have issues. It took a couple years for the crank issues to surface on the R1. I am sure most of the issues will be isolated to track bikes that are getting abused.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think the real question is where are these reports coming from? I have found nothing on the web, about the failures mentioned on street, track, or race bikes.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I think the real question is where are these reports coming from? I have found nothing on the web, about the failures mentioned on street, track, or race bikes.
Usually things like this are not real public and take a while to surface. If Suzuki sponsored teams/mechanics are having issues with GSXR cranks do you really thing they are going to jump on Facebook or forums and post about it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Usually things like this are not real public and take a while to surface. If Suzuki sponsored teams/mechanics are having issues with GSXR cranks do you really thing they are going to jump on Facebook or forums and post about it.
I get that, but I mean where did Noitall hear it from?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Are you guys talking about the 2015 R1 Transmission recall? I don't remember anything about the Crank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Google Yamaha R1 crank failure or contact Eric Dorn at EDR racing for the full story on the cranks.
As noted by some on hear I asked an innocent question.
There is good reason why this has not hot the headlines. Do you really think a team likE Yoshimura Suzuki are going to admit there is a problem?
There will be several reasons for a crank problem.
1. Bad design.
2. Bad materials.
3. Band manufacture.
4. Aggressive ignition timing.
5. Excessive revs.

If failures are confined to bikes with consecutive engine numbers then it could be there is a manufacturing batch problem.

Suzuki have the information and should advise.

My concern mainly is that it is a safety problem. A crank failure at speed which is when they usually let go.
If I knew the crank needed changing say every 1000 km I would know what to do without wrecking an engine. A broken crank takes the head, pistons, rods and crankcases.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I knew the crank needed changing say every 1000 km
It would need to be made of cheese to need changing every 1K's!!!! Like I say forums are full of peps quoting this and that failure without any factual background. Has anyone on here actually experienced crank problems on their bike or actually know of someone who has?? If so please share the circumstances and pics.........if not it hasn't happened.......

1 - 20 of 144 Posts