Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start my 750G from cold it spins over a few times, then makes a loud 'knock' that stops the starter, but then continues to spin and then fires.
Is it just the starter motor or solenoid sticking or something more serious.
It does it every single time from cold, but never when warm, as it fires straight away when it's warm.
Anyone nay ideas?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sounds like it's related to the starter...but the only way I can think of to tell is to swap in another starter from someone else's bike. Hope there's one around...I'd gladly let you try mine if you rode by.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Starter Cultch. Sounds like it skipping one of the enguagement points then klunk hit the next one.
Bones

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'll start off checking the bushes in the starter and take it from there. The problem is that the bike is a daily runner so I can't have the bike off the road for long.
I might even try if I can get hold of a cheap second hand starter to throw on, as I'm gonna keep, this bike for a long time, so it won't be wasted money. Whatever, I'll keep you posted.
Just a thought, if it was knackered ring gear, surely it'd occasionally miss totally and just spin the starter motor (I had an old Ford that used to do that due to missed teeth on the ring gear)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Be curious to hear what you find.
My '86 has made a loud "knock" or two when starting since almost new, never has gotten any worse, never has failed to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts