Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knocking front end on new K5 - Assume this isn\'t normal?

I picked up my new K5 end of this week and noticed when putting it in the garage there's a knocking at the front when you apply the brakes hard. Felt fine on the ride home from the dealers. I'm assuming this is loose head bearings so I'll be taking it back to the dealer or can anyone with a K5 confirm it's something else and perhaps common on them all?

Can anyone recommend a decent paddock stand for getting the front off the ground that would allow removal of the forks and checking head bearings? I used to have a great stand for my K2 that went into the frame. The under the yoke ones always look to me like there's a risk they'll smash the plastics beneath the light.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Re: Knocking front end on new K5 - Assume this isn\'t normal?

Before you go throgh all of that try tighting some bolts. Most likly the clip-on (handle bar) bolts. The ones that secure the clip-ons to the forks.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts

Oh yeah, that doesn't sound good at all.

You know, I'm really loosing faith in dealers abilities to do even the most meanial of task, especially uncrating and assembly. When I was replacing my windscreen on my K5 yesterday I realized the dealer put so much loctite on the bolts that hold on the mirrors, it ripped the dowel pin right out from the stalk as I was unbolting. F'ing retards.

·
Registered
242 Posts

mine has done it and i can't find the source of teh noise. checked all the stem bolts and torqued to spec. not sure but feels fine to me.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Well if everything else is tight (like the clip ons as posted above) then I'd assume it's the head bearings too.

·
Registered
231 Posts

If it is the same sound I have heard from my k1,k2,k3, and now k5 its like a small popping sound. I found out that it was the brake pads shifting in the caliper. Dont know if this is the same thing you are explaining, but just an idea..

·
Registered
242 Posts

If it is the same sound I have heard from my k1,k2,k3, and now k5 its like a small popping sound. I found out that it was the brake pads shifting in the caliper. Dont know if this is the same thing you are explaining, but just an idea..
that makes sense to me.. i was thinking maybe the brake area. i can only get mine to do it when applying the front brakes. i figured if it was stem or something that i could get it do make the sounds by rocking it back and forth. any fix/ check/ correction for the brake pads??

·
Registered
231 Posts

that makes sense to me.. i was thinking maybe the brake area. i can only get mine to do it when applying the front brakes. i figured if it was stem or something that i could get it do make the sounds by rocking it back and forth. any fix/ check/ correction for the brake pads??
mine has just started to do it less and less. It was really bad up to about 600 miles. now it is almost gone at 1500 miles. I dont know if there is an actual fix/alignment for the pads.

·
Registered
512 Posts

I feel/hear the same on mine and figured it is the brake pads shifting. Reasoning is the only time it happens is when I back my bike out of the garage and apply the brake. Then the first time I apply the brake when going forward. After that, it's all good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just put some new brake pads on my K4 and I'm getting the same thing. Assuming it is the pads is this a bad thing or are they supposed to move a bit?

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts

thechromespot said:
I feel/hear the same on mine and figured it is the brake pads shifting. Reasoning is the only time it happens is when I back my bike out of the garage and apply the brake. Then the first time I apply the brake when going forward. After that, it's all good.
Exact same thing here. Funny thing is, I'm running Galfer HH pads. It never knocked with the stock pads.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

SPL170db said:

You know, I'm really loosing faith in dealers abilities to do even the most meanial of task, especially uncrating and assembly. When I was replacing my windscreen on my K5 yesterday I realized the dealer put so much loctite on the bolts that hold on the mirrors, it ripped the dowel pin right out from the stalk as I was unbolting. F'ing retards.
dont even get me started on those mirrors....I ended up buying a replacement and then finally replaced the studs with some decent ones.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have the same feeling with my k5 thought is was the Ohlins forks. Ohlins claimed they had a problem with them. But know after hearing you guys I wonder if it isn't my brakes also? I have the new Brembo HP calipers/Braking wave rotars. Its weird when your going fast and hit brakes not bad. But when going slow around town you can feel it. Like a chatter in bars. All head bearings and bars bars are tight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If Im braking Really hard I can hear a knocking sound from the front alright, also get it if i go over a large bump in the road/speed ramps-slowly:sad

had this on my sv, but the front end on that was shite.

any ideas:confused

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yep me to, pot holes you can defineatly feel it. More so if going at slower speeds.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

A_DAWG said:

yup like he said

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

SPL170db said:

That aint just the dealer, i have had about 2 1000's that i uncrated, and went to take the mirrors off to install the windscreen and had the studs pull out from the mirrors, thats more poor quality in suzukis part.

D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts