Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
M6x20 with an 8 mm hex flanged head. Such bolts are now available on ebay in titanium at very reasonable cost.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Bill...I bought so many Titanium bolts enough $$ Spent I think I could have bought another Motorcycle...Pro Bolt is sure Proud of their Titanium fasteners $$$

I see only China Bolts on E bay...You have any particular seller in mind

John

·
7,716 Posts
My general rule is that I want to save at least 1 gram per dollar spent and Pro Bolt, who has very nice stuff, never came close to that. I've been buying mainly from ebay sellers unopery and mhestore2009. This type of screw is used by all Japanese manufacturers but the head and flange size is smaller than the DIN, etc. standards. Metric Threaded Products refers to it as MC699, though I haven't found any other reference to it. The ebay seller's prices are generally at or below what Suzuki wants for the same screw in steel. I wouldn't use them where tensile strength is critical, i.e. engine interior bolts. But I've replaced all the oil pan, side cover, etc. screws on my K6. I check each one to be sure that the threads are OK and that there aren't any machining chips. But they're generally fine. Most come from China but a few packages have had Thailand postmarks. Prices seem to go up and down for unknown reasons.

Here's the unopery M6 listing. The Suzuki list for the M6x20 screw is $1.99. Unfortunately they only go to 65 mm as my sprocket cover has an 80 mm and 95 mm.

The Suzuki M10 side-stand mounting screws seem to be prone to seize in place, in part because of its low profile socket drive and in part because of their location on the bike's underside. I'm hoping that titanium will stop that.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Bill...Do you know of a web site, that gives the different sizes of screws, bolts, for Suzuki? I know you can look at different parts catalogs, (which I do) but. a lot of the time it just gives the description such as "Bolt" but it leaves off the size and length. I sometimes do my ordering while on a business trip, gives me something to do_Of course one way would be for me to simply measure the fastener :)

Can you take the Suzuki part number of the fastener, and use some kind of cross index list, that breaks down that number, that tells the actual dimensions of the fastener?

Lets take Pro Bolt for example: They have a lot of kits already made up, so you don't worry about size and grip length, but if I wanted to change the water pump bolts for example:
your out of luck I'm sure it is a "6mm" but the grip length???

I think it was Yamaha, that you could take the part number and somewhere on the net, you could find the break down of the P/N.

"The Suzuki M10 side-stand mounting screws seem to be prone to seize in place, in part because of its low profile socket drive and in part because of their location on the bike's underside. I'm hoping that titanium will stop that".

I think the issue on the mounting bolts is simply galvanic corrosion. With the use of "Titanium Fasteners" you would only need to apply "Anti Seize" compound to the threaded area, to reduce this.

Thanks, John

·
7,716 Posts
Download the K5K6 parts manual from the sticky link in the 1000 general forum. It includes thread size and length for many bolts. Many came from sources like bikebandit. Others are my measurements.

Many times, but not always, a bolt's part number includes the size and length but not the pitch. For example in 01547-06803, 06 is an M6 size, 80 is the length, and 3 is an olive-drab finish. For stepped bolts about all you'll get is the size.

There was a really nice thread about refurbishing a 750 here. It included a good pic of how grungy the kickstand mount can get. But the pics were all on photobucket and are now blocked. I'd like the mods to try something like contacting the OP to see if they can get the pics moved to somewhere where they're visible.

P.S. If you scan ebay for black titanium bolts, it's clear that there's a cheap route to black titanium. But no one wants to spill the details. I've inquired on finishing.com but only got responses regarding pricey proprietary processes. I'm looking for something that runs about 25¢/bolt. There's a process involving heating to red hot and dipping in WD-40 but that's not something that I'd want done to a bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts