Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gixxer forumites...
I am hoping you guys can shed some light or give me alternative solutions on a problem I have run into with my pet GSXR1000 streetfighter build. I bought a GSXR1000 zL0 **25th anniversary edition** which had a slight crash.

Purely cosmetic/plastic damage, pretty much all crash protectors took all the damage, not even the levers are bent. However, the problem I ran into, is that most of the rear tail section plastics are gone, and the one important thing bugging me, is the rear seat keylock mechanism which is also gone. I have both the original keys with a little plastic part with a number engraved on it, and I don't want to sit in a scenario where if I buy a new locking mechanism for the rear seat, that I will have 2 different keys I have to tag along with me. Ideally I would love it to have one single key that opens everything.

Has anyone on this forum run into a similar problem, and what alternative solutions did you implement to get around it ? Can one order the part from Suzuki Stealerships for your relevant key, or am I going to have to settle for a new lock with a new key ? Any info would be appreciated big time :)

cheers ! :cheers

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,720 Posts
In the US you can order a precut key from Suzuki if you have the keycode tag and appropriate ID/proof of ownership. But that's not what you need. I'm unaware of being able to buy a precut lock from them. The "key" to your dilemma is going to be is the lock disassemblable. If it is, John is right about taking it to a competent locksmith (not Home Depot or its NZ equivalent) who can adjust the tumblers. Note that the key has seven positions but, as best I know, the rear lock only uses 1-5.

The PO threw the original lock away?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys... Ok... will try a locksmith and ask them to modify the internal pins then... if not, I suppose damaging / removing the pins that any key will open it, is another option.

Edit - Guess the Gixxer Gods heard my cries of pain... just got a call from insurance company... they phoned their transport company, and what do you know... lock and cable unit was lying in one of their Vans.... Happy ending !!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts