Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old school oil cooled guys.....I have a nice 1371 motor (86mm JE pistons = 13.5:1 compression, 31 / 27 stainless valves, hard face rockers, Cam Motion cams, epoxy Flo-Tec Racing head, Carrillo rods, XC piston rings, O-ringed liners, studded, Keihin 39mm FS carbs, top end oiler kit, stock crank, Schnitz progressive wet nitrous controller, Dyna 2000 ignition, Murray custom pipe) in my 1991 GSXR and I am going to start running it on the street in Chicago. My obvious concern is keeping the oil cool! I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for better cooling like swapping the cooler with a different/bigger model and REALLY hoping someone has an old secondary "cylinder head oil cooler kit" like the one that Yoshimura used to sell that cools the oil coming from the top case outlet with its own separate oil cooler before feeding it directly to the head. I'm in Chicago in the USA by the way. Thanks in advance!

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum...nice ride.

Stop & go traffic is going to kill you, heat wise. There isn't much material around those sleeves, to carry the heat away.
The Dyna 2000 lets you easily take some timing out, to neuter it a little while you're riding on the street...then it's just as quick to turn that dial and put it back for the strip.

Try posting a wanted ad in our oiler classifieds, for the Yosh oil cooler.

You could also plumb in your own system. You're already far removed from stock, so you're not bound to originality, have a look at what's available from Earl's etc and stuff the biggest cooler in there that will fit, you can also sandwich another in front of the other, provided you still have wheel clearance etc.
It looks like you have lots of room for a rear mounted cooler as well.

An oil temp gauge would give you some peace of mind too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum...nice ride.

Stop & go traffic is going to kill you, heat wise. There isn't much material around those sleeves, to carry the heat away.
The Dyna 2000 lets you easily take some timing out, to neuter it a little while you're riding on the street...then it's just as quick to turn that dial and put it back for the strip.

Try posting a wanted ad in our oiler classifieds, for the Yosh oil cooler.

You could also plumb in your own system. You're already far removed from stock, so you're not bound to originality, have a look at what's available from Earl's etc and stuff the biggest cooler in there that will fit, you can also sandwich another in front of the other, provided you still have wheel clearance etc.
It looks like you have lots of room for a rear mounted cooler as well.

An oil temp gauge would give you some peace of mind too.
Yup I already have an oil pressure and temp gauge. No room up front for stacking coolers but yes, a rear mount might work well. Ill post in the oiler section like you suggested.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is an amazing ride! Out of curiosity, what are you running for an ET?
The best time on it was 7.90 with a 175lb rider on the spray. The bike was one of Flo-Tec Racing's shootout bikes. The owner of Flo-Tec (Craig Hansen) is a good friend of mine. He switched over to a lighter chassis now for the hand clutch bike so he sold me this one. Motor has about 30 passes on it.

1371 Flo-Tec Racing motor
Carrillo rods
J E pistons 86mm
XC piston rings
31mm intake 27mm exhaust stainless valves
Titanium spring retainers
Hard face rockers
Top end oiler kit
Cam Motion cams .410ex .425in lift
FBG back cut trans
O ringed liners
Diaphragm clutch
Full Flo-Tec epoxy head
McIntosh swingarm
McIntosh rearsets
14" CBR900RR front wheel
Magnesium rear wheel
Kiehn 39mm flatslide carbs
Pingle "Guzzler" fuel valve
Velocity stacks
Custom Murray sidewinder made by Murray himself & ceramic coated
Cut front forks
Fox rear shock
Vortex sprockets
Quick spin off fitting for crank access
McIntosh clutch cover with quick change plate
Dyna 2000 ignition controller
Schnitz progressive nitrous controller

And a bunch more but thats the basics of it...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow - that's like my dream drag bike build. If you're going to run it on the street, throw some K&N pod filters on it. You don't want to damage any of that beautiful motor and it's cheap insurance. Post up some more pics of that thing when you have a chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow - that's like my dream drag bike build. If you're going to run it on the street, throw some K&N pod filters on it. You don't want to damage any of that beautiful motor and it's cheap insurance. Post up some more pics of that thing when you have a chance.
I can't run filter pods because of the velocity stacks having the nitrous nozzles installed in them. Whats your email address? I'll send you a bunch of pictures of it. 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts