Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking throught the different prices on my bike...unfortunately some idiot backed into the bike and knocked it over...so...i'm trying to find out it's price so i can haggle with the insurance dude...

nada says average 1600...
kbb retail 3000
kbb trade-in 2000

what's with the huge differences in price. i paid roughly 1600 for mine, not including accesories [helmet/boots/etc]. so, i was wondering, what would a fair price be?

1987 gsxr 750
stage 3 jetkit [needs replacing]
v+h slipon
speedscreen
new paintjob
22k miles

any ideas guys?

rock on
-wil

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
When my inbred neighbor drove over my parked gpz550, American Family insurance went by the KBB. Don't get screwwed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcklrcr:
When my inbred neighbor drove over my parked gpz550, American Family insurance went by the KBB. Don't get screwwed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm...much the same situation...the guy said that every insurance comp went by nada...any ideas on how to convince him to give me some more dough...cause there's no way that i can pick up another gixxer for 1400. just as a side note, i can buy back my bike for 50 bucks

rock on
-wil

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah...the buy back is 50 dollars...50...i'm almost insulted...the verdict today was 1400 plus the bike...i'll see what happens tomorrow

rock on
-wil

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I got my buy back for free. DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOUR TITLE!!! They'll try to change it to a salvage title, then you'll be screwed again. Stand on that as a major negotiating point.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcklrcr:
I got my buy back for free. DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOUR TITLE!!! They'll try to change it to a salvage title, then you'll be screwed again. Stand on that as a major negotiating point.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how can u convince them not to touch the title? logically, it shouldn't be salvaged since there is nothing mechanically wrong with it...but still...what points should i stress?

rock on
-wil

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
They wanted/did total my gpz. I was pissed mostly because I've had the bike since it was new and I've put recent motor work and new parts on it that were much more than the $600 they wanted to give me. In the end they kindly said they'd make me a deal by giving me the $600 and letting me keep the bike, even though it was "totaled". They said there would be no effect on my title because there was no "buy-back" which implies that they own it and I would have to buy it back. The title stayed in my safe and it remains "an original" title.

I'd tell them if they're going to give you $xxx for the gixxer, fine. But you're Not going to buy it back, because you're not going to sign the title over to them. If they say "but it's only a $50 buy-back, what's the big deal?" Tell them they can take the $50 of of the compensation check because you'll recoup that $50, and more if you ever sell the gixxer. I guarantee you that if I was a potential buyer, I'd be very hesitant to buy a bike with a "salvage title" and would try to get it for much less than the asking price/KBB value.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glad to see someone's up as late as me.
thanks for the posts man

rock on
-wil

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree 100% with bcklrcr. Take the cash they will give you so you can fix your "classic gixxer". You can find all kinds of parts you may need in the Wanted & For Sale forum. Keep that old school gixxer going! Keep us posted on your proggress with the insurance co. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts