Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been working on trying to get my 98 katana 750F to run. I’ve been running into some issues. Right now I can get it started but the battery dies after a few minutes. (Fully charged batter to completely dead) I thought it was my rectifier at first and found out I missed a plug going to my alternator. So through maybe that would fix my problem. Nope. Still dying. Found another page that said it could be the stator is bad. But I can not find anything on where my stator would be or if my bike even has a stator. Would love help on trying to figure out what could be causing my bike to be dying on me and if and where my stator would be to see if that has gone bad as well. Before having to pull apart my alternator to get to my rectifier.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The stator is inside the alternator, its the outer winding/coil that does not move. On newer bikes they use permanent magnet alternators that operate at maximum capacity all the time, thus burning the stator is very common; not so much in a SACS engine with a proper alternator with a field winding instead of permanent magnets.

Have you tested all fuses and continuity on all wires?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stator is inside the alternator, its the outer winding/coil that does not move. On newer bikes they use permanent magnet alternators that operate at maximum capacity all the time, thus burning the stator is very common; not so much in a SACS engine with a proper alternator with a field winding instead of permanent magnets.

Have you tested all fuses and continuity on all wires?
All of the fuses are new. I haven’t tested any wire connections yet. Where in the alternator is the stator located? I’ve been looking at OEM diagrams trying to find it. How I found out that my rectifier is in there instead of on the back of the frame like my other bikes. Is there an easy way to test to see if those are good? Having a hard time finding YouTube videos on my bike. Or an easy way of taking it out without ripping the whole bike apart?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The stator is inside the alternator fixed to the outer shell. No, there is no easy way to get it out. And you should look at several other things before trying to replace the stator. The stator are the windings you can see through the vents.

s-l1600.jpg

BTW, you can't buy the stator by itself; you'd need a new alternator. You can go get one for cheap on ebay if you insist on replacing the alternator before actually diagnosing the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts