Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get one today and have been told by one well-known online store that it was on a minimum 2 week back order, and by another that K&N never released this filter for the K4's but released the part numbers which confuses people. Is this true ? Should I go with BMC instead which costs $30 more ?

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Yes, go with BMC.
I run a BMC Street filter, which is supposed to be comparable to the K&N filter.
The Race filter was a bit more, but was also out of stock when I needed mine.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Dude I had to wait a while for mine
Like a month... I told my buddy to order both which ever came in first is what I would go with and the BMC Race filter came in so I bought it and I am impressed with it.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Seriously, if BMC and K&N filters are so much better why doesn't Suzuki put them on from the factory?
The same reason all manufactures don't in any street vehicle. Street ride ability and reliability, emissions standards as well as production costs and wholesale/retail pricing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have always heard better to keep it stock as far as air filters go. Not looking for power gains, just looking at if it is worth it. stock filters arent cheap to begin with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude I had to wait a while for mine
Like a month... I told my buddy to order both which ever came in first is what I would go with and the BMC Race filter came in so I bought it and I am impressed with it.
Did you have to remap ?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
i have always heard better to keep it stock as far as air filters go. Not looking for power gains, just looking at if it is worth it. stock filters arent cheap to begin with.
Stock filters flow just as good as a K&N or BMC street filter. but you can't clean them. once they are dirty you have to throw it away and buy another. I bought my K&N because I wanted toi buy it once, and clean it and put it back in. You have to buy the oil/cleaner which is 10 dollars and you get 4 or 5 uses out of it. I wouldn't go with a BMC race filter, it lets more dirt in. But that's my opinion.

Just for you information, a K&N filter will make you lose about 1/2 a horse because it doesn't flow quite as good as a stocker, but I'd rather be able to clean mine than worry about 1/2 horsepower.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock filters flow just as good as a K&N or BMC street filter. but you can't clean them. once they are dirty you have to throw it away and buy another. I bought my K&N because I wanted toi buy it once, and clean it and put it back in. You have to buy the oil/cleaner which is 10 dollars and you get 4 or 5 uses out of it. I wouldn't go with a BMC race filter, it lets more dirt in. But that's my opinion.

Just for you information, a K&N filter will make you lose about 1/2 a horse because it doesn't flow quite as good as a stocker, but I'd rather be able to clean mine than worry about 1/2 horsepower.
Is it just K&N that you loose hp with or most after-market filters ? and if that's the case howcome all these people are buying them or seeing a need for them ?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I'm not sure about BMC street. but since it's so close to a K&N i'm thinking that BMC street and K&N filters will lose the .5 horse. a BMC race filter will flow better than stock but it will also let alot more dirt into your engine.

as for everyone needing them? I don't know. maybe some people just want something different, or maybe they are like me and don't want to buy filter after filter so they can just clean the one they have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
so really its just a matter if you want to buy it (stock) continuously or not. I ran into the problem of availability (got dam dealers dont stock the shit basically) and i dont want to run into that ever again.
But i have heard horror stories (mostly carb bikes though) about K&N or any other variances filters not working right with bikes. In other words, bikes are finicky about air filters.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
so really its just a matter if you want to buy it (stock) continuously or not. I ran into the problem of availability (got dam dealers dont stock the shit basically) and i dont want to run into that ever again.
But i have heard horror stories (mostly carb bikes though) about K&N or any other variances filters not working right with bikes. In other words, bikes are finicky about air filters.
most if not all of those people complaining over-oiled the filter and did not let it sit to absorb the oil after they cleaned/oiled their K&N. excess oil gets sucked into the intake if you put too much oil on it or don't let it soak into the cotton.

·
Registered
155 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I think that you lose the 1/2 horse because it does let more air in. which changes your fuel to air mixture. allowing more air with the same amount of fuel. it would actually need to be remapped to see gains. I don't believe that either K&N or BMC would market a product that does nothing for you and actually hurts performance. and yes I have seen the dyno charts that show this. but as far as I remember that was with a filter only.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that you lose the 1/2 horse because it does let more air in. which changes your fuel to air mixture. allowing more air with the same amount of fuel. it would actually need to be remapped to see gains. I don't believe that either K&N or BMC would market a product that does nothing for you and actually hurts performance. and yes I have seen the dyno charts that show this. but as far as I remember that was with a filter only.

[/QUOTE]

what you've said was my initial thought about getting a filter but realized mapping would be needed to correct gas/air ratio (or at least I thought). my dealership wants to charge me $140 for mapping and got me wondering if the effort would be worth it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
what you've said was my initial thought about getting a filter but realized mapping would be needed to correct gas/air ratio (or at least I thought). my dealership wants to charge me $140 for mapping and got me wondering if the effort would be worth it.

[/QUOTE]

$140 that sounds extremely cheap to me I would go for it. a certain shop in south carolina, I won't mention which one but they sponsor an ama team, wanted to charge me over $300 for a custom map.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts