Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's overheating and I have a few questions. Have checked if the radiator fan is working and it's not, I let it get up to 230 and nothing. Im going to check the fuse when I get a chance to get in there in the next few days but I don't know which fuse it would be or what kind it is to replace it if it's spent. That being said, should it even be getting up this high in temp regardless of the fan? It goes right up there pretty quick in stop and go traffic and will go well beyond 230 if I were to let it. What is normal operating temp sitting at idle? I'm hoping there isn't another issue. Thoughts? Answers to the fuse questions? :scratch

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
The fan is suppose to come on at 222F and off at 212F but if it's not coming on, something is wrong. My bike can get to 228F but is the hottest I have seen. The fuse box is under the driver seat and is mini blade fuses just like cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay that helps, I guess it's that bottom 15 amp fuse. I'll get in there and check that tomorrow. hopefully that's it but regardless of the fan working should it even be getting this hot regularly anyway or is it normal and that's why the fan is there in the first place?

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
It really shouldn't get above 230 but with no fan, surprised it hasn't gotten hotter. When sitting still, bike temp shoots up quickly. Have you done a full fluid change, ie. brake fluid and coolant change? Has the front master cylinder recall been done?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm gonna do a coolant flush as soon as the fan is working as I don't need to deal with the heat issues while trying to flush it properly. Once this issue is figured out I'm gonna change everything, oil and all. First things first ya know? I just got this off my gfs' brother 4 days ago and I have no idea the last time he did any of this he didn't even notice the fan or the temp situation :scared :hammer

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as the master cylinder I have no way to know.. he got the bike used as well

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Says "no open safety recalls found", it had my bike on file by year and everything.. so I guess I'm good? Damn you're helpful :cheers

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
SDS allows you to check the fan by manually turning it on & off. But few here have it. Note that the fan will come on for a few seconds as the temperature passes 122/158/194/230 °F if the engine speed is above 4000 RPM. As I recall, you wait for the temp to approach the trigger temp and then start revving the engine. Once it's turned on & off, you have to wait for the next trigger temp. However, in my experience, it's hard to see if the fan is spinning. I used a white marker to mark the blade so that it is easier to see.

But get the fuse fixed, if that is the problem. You're running a significant risk of messing the bike up. The fuse box should have a spare 15A.

They used to stamp the frame near the VIN when a recall was performed. But maybe not any more. You can download the recall instructions from the NHTSA website. The pics ought to allow you to tell if you have the recall parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I replaced the fuse with the spare that was in the box, while doing so I took a look at the fan just to see if it would move freely before starting it up and there was a random bolt in the fan cage.. I'm assuming that stopped the fan and caused the fuse to blow. (Where the bolt came from I need to figure out)
Got the bolt out and started the bike.. no good.. so I went to check the fuse to make sure it was secure/not corroded etc and the new fuse was blown.. what would cause the fuse to go the moment the fan should be turning on? Bad fan motor making resistance? Idk. :banghead

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,857 Posts
So I replaced the fuse with the spare that was in the box, while doing so I took a look at the fan just to see if it would move freely before starting it up and there was a random bolt in the fan cage.. I'm assuming that stopped the fan and caused the fuse to blow. (Where the bolt came from I need to figure out)
Got the bolt out and started the bike.. no good.. so I went to check the fuse to make sure it was secure/not corroded etc and the new fuse was blown.. what would cause the fuse to go the moment the fan should be turning on? Bad fan motor making resistance? Idk. :banghead
Did you make sure that the fan blade spins freely?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
You'll have to dig into it but it sounds like the fan may have burned out because it was receiving power but not able to spin. Unplug the fan, install a new fuse, and see if the fuse doesn't blow then. You could also measure the fan resistance at the connector. I've forgotten but off-hand the static resistance should be more than 1 ohm. The dynamic resistance is about 2.5 ohms but that can only be calculated after measuring the amperage while running.

Hard to tell from your pic but the screw might be one that attaches the blade to the motor. There also are some that attach the fan motor to the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I doubt it's a bolt that goes to the fan it's pretty big, about 1 inch long and 5mm in diameter or so with a lock washer/washers.. it's identical to the ones that go into the radiator brackets to the frame/engine but looking in there (without taking the fairings off) I couldn't see anywhere missing a bolt, all of the ones I can see are in place. Is there a way I can connect the fan from a separate power source to check if it works that way?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,857 Posts
I doubt it's a bolt that goes to the fan it's pretty big, about 1 inch long and 5mm in diameter or so with a lock washer/washers.. it's identical to the ones that go into the radiator brackets to the frame/engine but looking in there (without taking the fairings off) I couldn't see anywhere missing a bolt, all of the ones I can see are in place. Is there a way I can connect the fan from a separate power source to check if it works that way?
Yes: unplug it, stick wires from a 12V source into the positive and negative terminal, watch it spin (or not spin).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts