Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my K9 last night and was told that the sensor that displays the green "N" indicator on the dash needs to be cleaned.

Anyone mind sharing with me how I might go about doing this? If it's a bitch to do, I'll just try and find time to take it someplace. Thanks!

DH

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,718 Posts
Your sensor is similar to the one on my K6. It looks like this:
https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/SPARES/images5/230215/37730-14J00-000.JPG

The white part rotates on a center pin when you shift. There's a contact on the inside which is responsible for the sensor resistance, which the cluster decodes as the gear selected.

Here's a thread about cleaning the sensor. Unfortunately most posters just spray brake cleaner on the switch (after removal) without disassembling it. But in #37 & #39 he disassembles and properly cleans it. I haven't done it but it's somehow possible to remove the white part and the center pin. Possibly the pin just pops off. Alternately you may have to remove some of the RTV on the other side of the sensor so that you can drive the pin out. If anybody knows for sure, please post here.

Most are too lazy and just buy a new sensor.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your sensor is similar to the one on my K6. It looks like this:
https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/SPARES/images5/230215/37730-14J00-000.JPG

The white part rotates on a center pin when you shift. There's a contact on the inside which is responsible for the sensor resistance, which the cluster decodes as the gear selected.

Here's a thread about cleaning the sensor. Unfortunately most posters just spray brake cleaner on the switch (after removal) without disassembling it. But in #37 & #39 he disassembles and properly cleans it. I haven't done it but it's somehow possible to remove the white part and the center pin. Possibly the pin just pops off. Alternately you may have to remove some of the RTV on the other side of the sensor so that you can drive the pin out. If anybody knows for sure, please post here.

Most are too lazy and just buy a new sensor.
Thanks so much for this! I'll see if I can pull it off...if not, about how much does a new sensor like this cost? Again, thanks so much for the help!!

DH

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,718 Posts
It's a tad less than $100. Also, for the record, it's the ECM not the cluster that decodes the information about what gear is selected. It then sends that plus other info to the cluster.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a tad less than $100. Also, for the record, it's the ECM not the cluster that decodes the information about what gear is selected. It then sends that plus other info to the cluster.
Thanks again my friend. Tell me, I'm in a different country and finding the way to say this part in Greek is getting some folks confused. I can't seem to find a part number, think you might be able to help me find it? Thanks so much!!

DH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts