Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I start? Seems to be running rich also, exhaust smoke coming out. I pulled the code I get C28. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The F1 light was only coming on when it gear but comes on instantly now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went outside with engine cold. Crank it up. No F1 light but some smoke, can't tell the color but definitely not oil smell. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Welcome to the site...

White smoke = coolant
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel

The c28 code is your STVA. Do a search for posts by @TheGeek, he is our resident expert on those things.

Oh, and it is FI, not F1.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang it. Thought I might of had it mixed up haha. But yeah I have. I've read pretty much every forum that talked about my year bike. ... it was too dark to tell what color the smoke was. Wasn't white and didn't smell like oil. So I think it's a lean rich issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me clarify. Every forum that talked about the c28 code.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Ok, so you learned how to fix it? Because TheGeek goes into extreme detail on what to do and how to fix it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I read that his fix only applies to the older bikes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so that's an 05. Does the same fix apply to my machine? I have the 09-14 engine.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I don't think it is the same...

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,420 Posts
Nope. The 1000cc bikes use Keihin throttle bodies rather than Mikuni. The Mikuni flaw is limited to the 04-05 600/750. The Keihin units are a much better design. Typically a C28 code on one of them is due to:

1) A faulty ECU
2) A wiring problem
3) A faulty STP sensor
4) A botched powercommander install.

That being said, what's the history on the bike? Did this just pop up, or was there some work done recently?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had an oil leak so I just got finished reassembling the bottom half of the engine. So you might as well say a full tear down. Was running perfect before. I could have rolled it over and knocked the tps out of setting when I had it on the bench.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first two times the light came on I had to put it in gear and attempt to go forward for it to come out.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,420 Posts
At this point, I'd go over the wiring to make sure something wasn't damaged and that everything was reconnected properly. Then I would put a multimeter on the STPS (sensor mounted to the STVA) and check the calibration.

I'm guessing you have a factory service manual.... 1A-80.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do. Pretty sure I already checked that. Maybe I didn't do it properly though. How can I check it with the butter fly closed? Opened is easy, just cut the ignition on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So my readings are. .74 closed to 4.35 open. According to manual it should max at 4.1 have I found my problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the STPS may be stripped out and opening up too much. It appears that it's opened too wide and the little arm on the opposite side was bent I had to bend it back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts