Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Actually I am looking to answer this question myself.
I picked up a Yoshi single sided k8 exhaust for a steal and want to fit it on my L1 for track day purposes. The only mod that it looks like it will need it to be able to be 20mm further along into the bike as at the moment it looks like it might interfere with the swingarm linkage and otherwise the hangar points are 20mm out.

SO my question is- I need to cut 20mm off the tip of the bike's exhaust just after the SET valve. Will this be possible with an angle grinder or is this section of exhaust titanium or what not and likely to win a good fight with an angle grinder?

bit of pipe im talking about is in the pic here

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
yeah taking it to an exhaust shop is the plan.

but is that section titanium and hard as hell to cut or what?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Its Ti and its easier to cut than stainless

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I would use a band saw for a nice clean cut. Wrap the pipe in painter's tape, use a wraparound to mark it, then use a band saw to make the cut.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Yes because the K9 1K has dual exhaust and a different pan as a result.

·
Registered
265 Posts
yeah I wouldn't bother with changing out the whole exhaust. I got this 08 ½ system cheap and intend use that as my trackday pipe to avoid sliding down the road on my twin system yoshis...
It looks simple enough to fit, just looks to need to be 20mm further in requiring the 20mm lopped off the tip of the exhaust there.
Just a bit of an awkward spot but I really cant be fkd pulling out the whole exhaust just to cut it easily. I want to try to get it done while on the bike. Doesn’t look impossible…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts