Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
My filter is in a cluster of header pipes and i dont plan on reaching through on a hot engine to get my filter out, thats all im saying. Not worth it to me.. I work on cars with hot engines all day and changing oil on a hot car is #1 on my shit list..

Ps- Im pretty sure i could take apart the whole bike and put it back together again without much trouble, thats really not the point here.

·
Deceptively fast Bob...
20,181 Posts
Make sure you pay attention to Anthony's advice about checking to make sure the old filter gasket is off. Many guys on here didn't do that & than they are posting trying to figure out why the filter is hard to tighten & is leaking.
This is funny. I changed my oil last night (first oil change @ 600 miles) in my very poorly lit garage. When the filter came off, the gasket was still on the block and I was thinking how weird it was that there was rubber on the block, not even thinking to look at the old filter (clue 1 that something wasn't right). I put the new filter on, after gasket contact I turned 2 rotations, and it was still loose. I must've turned it 4 rotations after contact (clue 2 that something wasn't right). I couldn't start it at 1am with the m4 gp exhaust, so I waited until this morning. I pull the bike out of the garage, fire it up and oil comes pouring out of the filter(holy mess on the driveway, and clue #3 that something wasn't right). That's when I went back to the old filter and looked for the old gasket. It wasn't on the old filter.

Boy did I feel stupid. My buddy did this on a truck 10 years ago and I still make fun of him about it till this day.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
It sure seems like it happens more to new bikes more so than any others. I dont think they lube the seal and it ends up adhering to the block.

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
This is funny. I changed my oil last night (first oil change @ 600 miles) in my very poorly lit garage. When the filter came off, the gasket was still on the block and I was thinking how weird it was that there was rubber on the block, not even thinking to look at the old filter (clue 1 that something wasn't right). I put the new filter on, after gasket contact I turned 2 rotations, and it was still loose. I must've turned it 4 rotations after contact (clue 2 that something wasn't right). I couldn't start it at 1am with the m4 gp exhaust, so I waited until this morning. I pull the bike out of the garage, fire it up and oil comes pouring out of the filter(holy mess on the driveway, and clue #3 that something wasn't right). That's when I went back to the old filter and looked for the old gasket. It wasn't on the old filter.
OMG, that's EXACTLY what I did when I did my first oil change on the K6.

I felt lame as f**k when I discovered what was wrong... :crying

·
Wants to blow a dude named Benjamin
808 Posts
I just did my first oil change and the oil filter gasket was stuck to the block, and I was trying to figure out if it was supposed to be like that (for about a minute before I checked the old filter).

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
how do you guys feel about using oem oil filters with aftermarket oil? i am switching to ams oil but i still wanna use the oem filter, anyone?

·
Registered
759 Posts
how do you guys feel about using oem oil filters with aftermarket oil? i am switching to ams oil but i still wanna use the oem filter, anyone?
I used oem filters on my K5 and motorex full syn she had over 17,xxx when i had to sell and never missed a beat. I have been running the same on the K7 now at a hair over 9000 with no probs :cheers :cheers

·
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Sta
3,415 Posts
people are so cheap when it comes to filters. i know a guy that runs fram or supertech something like that filters.

i use oem filters and buy in bulk from the stealership cause they give me 10% off if i buy by the boat load then i use shell rotella synthetic oil.

j

·
Registered
759 Posts
people are so cheap when it comes to filters. i know a guy that runs fram or supertech something like that filters.

i use oem filters and buy in bulk from the stealership cause they give me 10% off if i buy by the boat load then i use shell rotella synthetic oil.

j
How you liking that syn rotella?? I have thought about giving it a shot. Of course id have to get the synthetic thin weight not the 15w40 that i run in my duramax :lol

·
3,415 Posts
freakin love it. 5000 miles so far and its been good to me and i run it in a built motor. some guys are so scared to use it in a stock motor and the more i try and tell the diff, the more they will argue lol. i change mine every 1000miles and use a new filter every 2000miles.

i also use the 5w40 blue bottle synthetic.

will never go back to motorcycle oil unless i blow the bike up and its due to the oil lol!

·
3,415 Posts
yellow, how many gallons does the duramax use? any pics of it? im thinking about getting one but all those that i looked at used had 60000 miles or more

j

·
Registered
759 Posts
yellow, how many gallons does the duramax use? any pics of it? im thinking about getting one but all those that i looked at used had 60000 miles or more

j
Cool! :cheers Yeah here is a pick. Heck it takes 10 qts. I can buy an exact 10 qt jug at walmart for $28 then maybe $8-10 for a filter and do it myself it really saves. Heck its not even broke in! I currently have about 117,xxx on mine and still runs great. I have alot of work in it and hopefully will do more one day when my funds allow, if they ever will again :lol

·
3,415 Posts
man i want one! only thing holding me back is the price for a ton of miles. cheapest ive found so far was 13000bucks with 225000 miles. and it was a 02. to much miles for me. do they generally run forever with good maintenance like the toyotas? i have 250000miles on my tacoma and no problems but the damm 4 cylinder can only pull so much

j

·
Registered
759 Posts
Man if you take care of one you can get alot from it. Diesel engine will last a good while,got a friend with a tick over 203,xxx. Plus this thing pulls like a freight train! Ive got alot of goodies like Intake, 5" turbo back exhaust, Airdog fuel system,Raptor lift pump,EFI Live tuning and the such. Its very quick to be a big truck. I will for warn you if you get one you will get bit by the diesel mod bug :biggrin

21 - 40 of 47 Posts