Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..this may be the stupidest question of all time...but i heard somewhere that the K8 GSX-R1000 is able to switch between 600, 750 and 1000cc....???

Can anyone confirm this for me? I have looked on other sites but cant seem to find concrete info.

Cheers All.

P.S. sorry for lame 1st post. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup...ive just done some more research. I was talking about the A,B & C modes. The fuel mapping system. So a Power commander will defeat the purpose of the fuel mapping feature..?

·
Registered
202 Posts
yes, The A,B,C, mode is bullshit. It does nothing worthwhile in my experiences It is suposed to be for traction controll by reducing the amount of throttle that you can apply. A mode is full power. B mode is half throttle untill 50% of wide open throttle then goes to 100% after. C mode is 50% throttle all the way to wide open. The tuner that I have been talking to says that if you buy and install a EM PRO then you can actually tune the modes to produce a well working traction controll. He has done it on the race bikes he builds. I dont think I will be spending the 1,500 on a EMPRO anytime soon.

TedBull

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Yup...ive just done some more research. I was talking about the A,B & C modes. The fuel mapping system. So a Power commander will defeat the purpose of the fuel mapping feature..?
The 3 modes work as designed with the PCIII. power commander changes your base map, a,b ,c modes still work the same as before.

G

·
Ok..this may be the stupidest question of all time...but i heard somewhere that the K8 GSX-R1000 is able to switch between 600, 750 and 1000cc....???
Oh dear. Just try the Suzuki website. It will tell you about the bike. With pictures.:wacko

·
Registered
572 Posts
The engine has the same displacement no matter which mode it's in. The S-DMS mode changes the engine mapping. Some people have described the modes as being similar to a 1000, 750, and 600 respectively but to say that the switch changes the bike into a 600 or 750 would not be accurate. Also every time you start the bike it defaults in A mode so I'd say it's dangerous as a beginners tool, if you forget to put it in C you might be in for a surprise.

Why S-DMS?
1. It's a marketing gimmick (DING DING DING)
2. As a way to include map switching in race applications with strict rules?
3. C mode is somewhat useful when riding in the rain.

A Mode = Full Power
B Mode = Slower Throttle response and less power at lower rpms except for wide open throttle which is he same as A
C Mode = Reduced power and throttle response (Still about 120hp so probably not beginner suitable).

The general consensus is that you should probably already have a pretty damn good grasp on throttle control before getting a GSXR to begin with.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts

Can anyone confirm this for me? I have looked on other sites but cant seem to find concrete info.

Cheers All.

P.S. sorry for lame 1st post. :)

yut uggh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts