Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to throttle pass 8000-9000rpm. My bike has just over 7000 miles ( yes was in storage for 10 yrs) and have changed all the fluids,fuel(added Lucas injector cleaner)and also changed the fuel pump. Fi light comes on and in dealer mode it shows c00, adjusted tps sensor so line was in the middle and light went off til I turned off bike and turned back on And FI light w/same c00 code and no change in rpm gains. Can u help?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,250 Posts
See this thread as you may be making the same mistakes regarding the pump and filter. Note the flow test. By FI light, do you mean the red LED? It's also turned on by low oil pressure or high temperature, each with an accompanying icon in the display and no error code. The FI error codes are volatile and go away when you turn the ignition off. It's hard to tell if that's what you're seeing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See this thread as you may be making the same mistakes regarding the pump and filter. Note the flow test. By FI light, do you mean the red LED? It's also turned on by low oil pressure or high temperature, each with an accompanying icon in the display and no error code. The FI error codes are volatile and go away when you turn the ignition off. It's hard to tell if that's what you're seeing.
Yes I do mean the red indicator light, changed the oil and filter but the light has STAYED on. It doesn’t turn off/on it just stays on. I will do the flow yes thank you 🤙🏼

·
8,250 Posts
The only way this makes any sense is that either the oil pressure or coolant temperature icon is also displayed and you're not paying attention to it. Do you know what I'm referring to? Alternately the cluster could be faulty but that's much less likely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only way this makes any sense is that either the oil pressure or coolant temperature icon is also displayed and you're not paying attention to it. Do you know what I'm referring to? Alternately the cluster could be faulty but that's much less likely.
No there is none of those icons on the display unless I leave the bike idling for awhile then the temp icon comes on with the fan

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,841 Posts
Pic of your gauge cluster with the engine running and the light on. Take it before the temp goes over 140 (just to rule out high temp).

·
8,250 Posts
Do you see an oil pressure icon when the ignition and engine stop switch are turned on but the engine is not running?

If there's power to the cluster, there should always be a temperature icon on the line where the temperature or dealer mode codes are displayed. The fan should come on at 221 °F/105 °C but that shouldn't turn an icon on. Above 248 °F/120 °C the temperature should start flashing and a second flashing temperature icon should appear along with the red LED turning on. The bike should never get so hot that the second icon and red LED appear. I spent some time investigating this on my K6 and would expect K7/K8 to behave the same.

·
13,841 Posts
Where it's reading 112 degrees, does it alternate between that and "FI"?

Basically what we're seeing here is a warning that the engine is overheating. But obviously it's not right now. So that lead me to two possibilities:

1) The EMC or cluster are failing. The ECM sends the temp data to the cluster, and with a temp like 112 something is being sent to the cluster. So is the cluster displaying below the actual, or is the ECM error detection messed up?

2) The bike was truly overheated previously and the fault detection doesn't clear automatically.

What does your owner's manual say about that temp icon? I have the service manual, but it doesn't cover what the icons mean and directions when they occur. It might say it needs to be cleared with the SDS tool, which makes the second possibility understandable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where it's reading 112 degrees, does it alternate between that and "FI"?

Basically what we're seeing here is a warning that the engine is overheating. But obviously it's not right now. So that lead me to two possibilities:

1) The EMC or cluster are failing. The ECM sends the temp data to the cluster, and with a temp like 112 something is being sent to the cluster. So is the cluster displaying below the actual, or is the ECM error detection messed up?

2) The bike was truly overheated previously and the fault detection doesn't clear automatically.

What does your owner's manual say about that temp icon? I have the service manual, but it doesn't cover what the icons mean and directions when they occur. It might say it needs to be cleared with the SDS tool, which makes the second possibility understandable.
Yes it does alternate between the fi and temp. It does it from as soon as I start up the bike but the fan kicks on as usual when it hits 212 degrees. I don’t have the owner’s manual so I don’t know what’s goin on. SDS tool? Where can I get it to clear it? Tried putting it in dealer mode w/ paperclip and fi light goes off til I turn off the bike and restart then turns right back on. Seems like when it warms up at the beginning of a ride it then restricts me from powering passs 8/9000rpm in.

·
8,250 Posts
Here's a crappy K7/K8 owner's manual. Your condition is described on 2-14 & 2-15. The manual does not discuss dealer mode, hence no mention of error codes. The display behavior when overheating is discussed, incompletely, on 2-13. In particular, the flickering icon that is mentioned is not the one on the temperature display line in your pic, but a second icon located above the red LED. You can briefly see it and the oil pressure icon when the cluster powers on.

You need to be precise and complete about what's happening and what you're doing. You didn't mention the display alternating between FI and the temperature until post #12. That is an important symptom.

I was suspicious that the red LED was due to a faulty oil pressure switch or a pinched line to it. But that would turn on the oil pressure icon and wouldn't turn on the alternating temperature/FI display. My current best guess is that it's not related to overheating but instead is associated with some other error. But the red LED on and C00 doesn't make sense.

Paper clips make things harder to diagnose as it's far harder to switch between user and dealer modes without shutting the bike off, which clears existing codes (unless you have SDS). You need to make sure that the RPM limitation is not due to a clogged fuel filter, in which case it's the ECM or possibly the wiring.

·
13,841 Posts
So, now things make more sense. You're pulling the code incorrectly. Do whatever you normally do to read the C00 and leave it. Then go ride the bike and get the code.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a crappy K7/K8 owner's manual. Your condition is described on 2-14 & 2-15. The manual does not discuss dealer mode, hence no mention of error codes. The display behavior when overheating is discussed, incompletely, on 2-13. In particular, the flickering icon that is mentioned is not the one on the temperature display line in your pic, but a second icon located above the red LED. You can briefly see it and the oil pressure icon when the cluster powers on.

You need to be precise and complete about what's happening and what you're doing. You didn't mention the display alternating between FI and the temperature until post #12. That is an important symptom.

I was suspicious that the red LED was due to a faulty oil pressure switch or a pinched line to it. But that would turn on the oil pressure icon and wouldn't turn on the alternating temperature/FI display. My current best guess is that it's not related to overheating but instead is associated with some other error. But the red LED on and C00 doesn't make sense.

Paper clips make things harder to diagnose as it's far harder to switch between user and dealer modes without shutting the bike off, which clears existing codes (unless you have SDS). You need to make sure that the RPM limitation is not due to a clogged fuel filter, in which case it's the ECM or possibly the wiring.
Thanx gonna take the tank off this week and look into the fuel filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just something to consider, I'm absolutely no expert, however purchased my bike last year, prior owner said the FI light comes on time to time due to the M4 exhaust and not to worry. So I didn't worry about it and it came on only once in a while. Then one day, I'm "cruising" down the highway, bike starts flashing erratically and the bike goes completely dead. We tried running start with no luck. Turns out had a Regulator/Rectifier going bad, replaced it and haven't seen an FI code since...1000+ miles later still going good crossing fingers. It's worth a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just something to consider, I'm absolutely no expert, however purchased my bike last year, prior owner said the FI light comes on time to time due to the M4 exhaust and not to worry. So I didn't worry about it and it came on only once in a while. Then one day, I'm "cruising" down the highway, bike starts flashing erratically and the bike goes completely dead. We tried running start with no luck. Turns out had a Regulator/Rectifier going bad, replaced it and haven't seen an FI code since...1000+ miles later still going good crossing fingers. It's worth a look.
Thanx I’ll look into that. Gonna start to strip down bike tomorrow 👍🏼

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just notice that the SERVO is making noise as I turn the bike on. Ordered a servo plug in to try and delete that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts