Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,837 Posts
I've been looking around and immobiliser ignition locks rarely come up for auction. The only one I've found closed about a month ago. It included an ECU and went for around $880. It looks like you're stuck buying a new lock. CMSNL lists it for around $360.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well guess what.

I put in my insurance claim and paid my excess.

Guess what. You DO NOT need a new Engine computer. Seems the two dealers I approached both told me bullshit trying to get as much cash out of me as possible.

All you need is new keys and an lock set (ignition, tank, tail), and a new ignition barrel and you can program the new keys to match your ECU.

I also had this confirmed by a mate who approached a Suzuki dealer he knows.

So I repeat. You can get new keys matched to your existing ECU. DO NOT let them try and convince you otherwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I’m experiencing this problem. I purchased a bike without keys so I purchased a new lock set. The immobiliser is kicking in and I can’t get the bike to start.

Apparently, you can get a new lock set and a new ECM and it can be done then, how I don’t know. It puzzles me why you can get a new lock set and have the old ECM reset to except the new keys.
I was speaking with someone yesterday who said that he can supply an ECM with keys, I just get them cut to match my new keys, then I get my keys matched to the ECM. He also said that he could change the ECM before sending it to me so that the ECM can read new keys straight away.

I bet that this the way a new ECM comes to you, then the dealer turns that off after the new keys are read.

So, how do I, me, not a dealer or anyone, go about having my ECM work with my new lock set?

Or, if needing a dealer how do I get it done?
Thanks for any help with this matter.

·
7,837 Posts
Read this, then contact Ostanlock. For UK owners, there's them. There used to be an outfit from somewhere like Slovakia that advertised on ebay that they could read the ECM and program a key to match it. I don't see them any more. The linked websites suggest that what they actually do is reprogram the ECM's ROM for a new code and program a matching key.

Also, as stated in my first link, there's a faint chance that Suzuki Australia can supply a key for the ECM that came with the bike. But you're unlikely to get it via a dealer, i.e. contact them directly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is actually a brilliant idea. I wonder if just having it on the same keychain would be close enough to work. That way you would take it with you when you left the bike.
I am currently going through this same problem. Personally I would turn off the immobiliser if it meant my new key (new lock set) is going to work with my old ECM. I only found out that that is an option after I sent it off (the ECM and one key) to get it working/reading RFID.
I purchased the bike at auction but it didn’t have a key. Lesson learnt - never buy a bike without a key. The ignition was so difficult to remove I wouldn’t worry about someone just forcing a screwdriver, chisel in and freeing up the steering lock in any short time. I doubt that will happen. So turning off the immobiliser would have been a real option. Maybe if I get into trouble I’ll do that next time. It with my bike should I loose the three keys I currently have,

·
7,837 Posts
The ignition switch on immobilizer models is mounted by screws with a breakaway drive.

To remove them the head must be slotted and a chisel used to turn them.

As best I can tell, the screw originally had a high strength theadlock like on the screws used on the non-immobilizer models (see below). But that must have made it a real bitch to remove as it was replaced by the screw above that doesn't have it. I can attest that the threadlock makes removing the non-immobilizer screws significantly harder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My ignition, the immobiliser type, as I'm in Australia, actually had the Torx bolts, and not the brake-away type. Thank goodness! Perhaps it's been changed once before, not sure. I just added some red loctite and did them up again. ;)

I think it is despicable that the owner of modern Bikes can't, with the proof of ownership just be able to get a new key if all keys have been lost. Not have to get New ECMs. Not have to send ECM and keys away to be matched. We are the owners, and we pay good money to ride the bikes YOU MADE. We spend money on gear and parts. When something brakes or is lost I don't appreciate your lies and deceit.

·
7,837 Posts
+1 on Suzuki. There's no reason that they can't keep a record of the codes and/or offer a replacement key service. Though I'd expect them to put you through some hoops before providing the key.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the ignition switch screws. My K6 uses the security torx type and the service manual lists the screw bit to remove them. The K7/K8 service manual only mentions the breakaway head type for all models. But the parts fiche lists the security torx type and a search for where the breakaway head type was used indicates that it was never used on GSX-R's. Yet I have a pic of a removed breakaway head type that I think came from here. The K9-L1 service manual shows the security torx type. Go figure.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts