Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A new lock set is $900
A new ECU is $2000

Surely I can just put on a new lockset, and have the keys reprogrammed to the existing ECU. But I have contacted two Suzuki dealers and both say I need a new ECU and Lockset.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A new lock set is $900
A new ECU is $2000

Surely I can just put on a new lockset, and have the keys reprogrammed to the existing ECU. But I have contacted two Suzuki dealers and both say I need a new ECU and Lockset.
I don't think you have been reading the posts in this thread. We fixed your problem for you and all you need is the lockset.

Here is the short version.

The way the immobilizer works is there is a little electronic chip in the plastic part of the key. When you turn on the bike the ecu sends out a radio frequency (RF) signal from the antenna collar around the lock. The chip in the key picks up this radio signal and replies with a unique ID number. (RFID)

The metal key parts and lock set have nothing to do with it. You still have the old keys. Put your old key on the same keyring as the key from your new lockset and the ECU will read your old key RFID if it is hanging close enough to the antenna around the lock. You will have to dig the chip out of the new keys otherwise the bike will get two RFID responses from one query and get confused. For testing purposes just wrap the old key in tinfoil to block the RF signals

So install new lock. Turn bike on with new key (RFID removed) while old key is hanging next to lock

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don't think you have been reading the posts in this thread. We fixed your problem for you and all you need is the lockset.

Here is the short version.

The way the immobilizer works is there is a little electronic chip in the plastic part of the key. When you turn on the bike the ecu sends out a radio frequency (RF) signal from the antenna collar around the lock. The chip in the key picks up this radio signal and replies with a unique ID number. (RFID)

The metal key parts and lock set have nothing to do with it. You still have the old keys. Put your old key on the same keyring as the key from your new lockset and the ECU will read your old key RFID if it is hanging close enough to the antenna around the lock. You will have to dig the chip out of the new keys otherwise the bike will get two RFID responses from one query and get confused. For testing purposes just wrap the old key in tinfoil to block the RF signals

So install new lock. Turn bike on with new key (RFID removed) while old key is hanging next to lock
For some reason the collar is very fussy about the orientation of the chip. No idea why but we tried mounting the chip inside the collar and with some orientations it wouldn't work.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,234 Posts
I'd be inclined to take the new lock to a locksmith and see if he can adjust the tumblers to the same pattern as your original key. If he can't, you could remove the chip from your original key and swap it for the one in your new key. There's a guy selling blank keys on ebay that mentions doing this and I didn't understand what he was saying until this thread got going.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just a question guys, I have a 05 and when I first got my bike I went to my local dealer and purchased a blank key, had it cut to match the original key by a lock smith. I then put it my bike and it runs fine. How come I had none of these problems? Just wondering.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'd be inclined to take the new lock to a locksmith and see if he can adjust the tumblers to the same pattern as your original key.
Good suggestion!

·
8,234 Posts
How come I had none of these problems?
Your bike is not immobilizer equipped. That's the big problem here.

With regard to new keys for U.S. bikes, I had a discussion with American Suzuki during the K5/K6 frame recall. They said that if you have the keycode from the aluminum tag that came with the bike, the dealer can order a key that's already cut to fit the lock. I don't have the tag for my bike but once I provided proof of ownership (needed for the recall) they were able to look up the code.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I could buy a lockset, and attatch the old key head to the key chain or whatever, but its still going to cost me $1000 and the bike isn't perfect.

My excess on my insurance is $1250 so for en extra $250 I get the bike back to brand new.

I can't get a locksmith just to fix my barrell, as they have pulled off the aerial transmitter off the ignition too.

I still don't know why they can't just reprogram the new keys to match the ecu.

·
8,234 Posts
I still don't know why they can't just reprogram the new keys to match the ecu.
I'm led to believe that they can. This guy doesn't have the Suzuki key blanks but that's just what he's talking about. It seems that you need to find someone with a "transponder cloning device".

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You would think the Suzuki dealers would know that though, unless they are just trying to make more money.

I have never been able to find a thread the definatively answers that question. Maybe this one will become the first.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Well if they can charge you $2K for an ecu when all they have to do is program it?? they will be laughing all the way to the bank. I would sugest you mark the ecu in some way to identify if it gets replaced..

·
Registered
39 Posts
If all the things said here were accurate then my key should not have worked since the dealer nor locksmith did any cloning or had any idea of what my vin number was. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Read this, especially the middle of page 2. Per page 3, maybe there's some trick with the clutch lever.
That is a very interesting read. If there was something like that in the ECU software I should be able to find it. However these ECUs don't have VIN numbers in them so if the cheat sequence was unique to each vehicle it would have to based on something else like the key number.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts