Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get my k7 up to around 180 -200hp. Less is ok, but that's the goal. Just want it to accelerate better without losing top end.

Aside from a K&N air filter, the bike is completely stock. The biggest problem is I live in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't a dyno anywhere near me that I can find, so finding someone to tune the bike 'just right' isn't really an option. Anyway, I was thinking a small turbo or supercharger? Or should I start with exhaust and power commander? I'm sure you glorious speed freaks can point me in the right direction!

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,843 Posts
Yeah, sell it and use the modification money to buy yourself a 5th gen ZX10R, S1000RR, etc.
What you're asking for requires more than just bolting on an exhaust, and doing that requires actual tuning. We're talking full exhaust, cams, milled head at a minimum.
About all you can do with no tuner is do an ECU flash and add a full exhaust with an auto tuner, but that will be in the low 170whp mark. Superchargers and turbos are out of the question unless you have a tuner and $10,000+ to spend on an engine build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Gotta do engine work even with a stage 1? Here I was just thinking clutch. Well that throws a wrench into it lol

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get my k7 up to around 180 -200hp. Less is ok, but that's the goal. Just want it to accelerate better without losing top end.

Aside from a K&N air filter, the bike is completely stock. The biggest problem is I live in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't a dyno anywhere near me that I can find, so finding someone to tune the bike 'just right' isn't really an option. Anyway, I was thinking a small turbo or supercharger? Or should I start with exhaust and power commander? I'm sure you glorious speed freaks can point me in the right direction!

.....and you think that bolting on a small turbo or supercharger DOESN'T require any tuning to make it just right? You'll blow the thing up alot quicker throwing forced induction onto it without any tuning than you would bolting something less ambitious to it.

You live where in the middle of nowhere now exactly? Not every tuner lives around the block from you. Many guys on here have taken their bikes a couple hours from home to get them tuned properly.

Seeing as how this is your first post on this forum I'm a bit remiss about all this, the fact that you have to ask this question here as your first post likely means you probably are not a good candidate for riding a 200hp street legal superbike in the first place (99% of street riders and even some roadracers would fit into the same category), but we could talk that subject until everyones blue in the face (and we have already enough).

Bottom line, no matter what you do to the bike....be it simply a pipe or turbo, nitrous and a big bore kit is going to require remapping/tuning to get it to run properly/optimally. So you might as well figure that part out first.

But as mentioned, to get a K7 1000 to ~200hp is going to require a full exhaust, aftermarket cams like Web or Yosh type-R, and likely a full porting job of the head.

https://www.kwsmotorsports.com/s1000.htm

Level 2 (Head and Cams) - 175 to 191hp: Let KWS work their magic on your cylinder head and then add more compression with a thinner head gasket. Improved top end rush with bigger cams and better mid range punch with adjustable cam timing. Web or Yoshimura stage R cams.

KWS CNC Pro Head
Thin Head Gasket
Web/Yoshimura Cams
Valve Springs
Cam Sprockets
KWS Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
Dyno Tune
Labor

Really? Gotta do engine work even with a stage 1? Here I was just thinking clutch. Well that throws a wrench into it lol
Sure....you can slap a stage 1 turbo onto it and ride off on your merry way.....just try not to be too surprised when the motor eats itself not long thereafter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys,

If you want to keep the bike you have. I'd recommend a full exhaust and a ECU flash for the mapping. The ECU flash can also remove top speed limiter, remove timing retarder, and remove the codes that get thrown from the aftermarket exhaust among other options.

Then put your bike (and maybe yourself depending on your weight lol) on a diet. Remove your passenger pegs, get a fender eliminator, remove your exhaust servo, remove reflectors (your risk, not encouraging this), remove mirrors and get a bar ends mirror (also not encouraging this), get a lithium ion battery, replace the stock gas cap, and get aluminum sprockets and a 520 chain. If you want to go all out magnesium wheels will make a big difference as wheels are rotating un-sprung weight but they're very expensive. All of this will help a bit with handling as well, especially the wheels.

They can get the fuel mapping close with a standard ECU flash, but if you want it perfect you'd have to get the map done at a dyno.

I definitely wouldn't spend the money on turbo unless you want an all out drag race bike. They cost a ton and you put a lot more stress on all your components. If you do all the above you'll absolutely see a difference in acceleration and handling. Your bike will feel quicker. These 1000cc bikes are PLENTY fast for the street bone stock so if you mainly ride street the mods I listed would be all you ever need and you'll keep most of your stock reliability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well obviously I didn't think I could bolt on a turbo and all would be fine. What I was wanting was ideas of what I could do to the bike and then have my ecu flashed accordingly, or power commander or whatever. Where I live a couple hours away is nothing. I wouldn't even care if it was that close lol.
As for my ability to handle a more powerful bike. Well nobody who hasn't ridden a 200hp bike can handle a 200hp bike. I have no plans in taking it out and twisting it all the way right off the bat lol! And the reason this is my first post on this forum isn't because I just got this bike. It's because it's the first time I'm wanting to put down some money on it and I want to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks for that link though. Gonna check it out! Although I'm starting to think that if I want the kind of acceleration without losing top end that I do, it may not even be worth it with this bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want to keep the bike you have. I'd recommend a full exhaust and a ECU flash for the mapping. The ECU flash can also remove top speed limiter, remove timing retarder, and remove the codes that get thrown from the aftermarket exhaust among other options.

Then put your bike (and maybe yourself depending on your weight lol) on a diet. Remove your passenger pegs, get a fender eliminator, remove your exhaust servo, remove reflectors (your risk, not encouraging this), remove mirrors and get a bar ends mirror (also not encouraging this), get a lithium ion battery, replace the stock gas cap, and get aluminum sprockets and a 520 chain. If you want to go all out magnesium wheels will make a big difference as wheels are rotating un-sprung weight but they're very expensive. All of this will help a bit with handling as well, especially the wheels.

They can get the fuel mapping close with a standard ECU flash, but if you want it perfect you'd have to get the map done at a dyno.

I definitely wouldn't spend the money on turbo unless you want an all out drag race bike. They cost a ton and you put a lot more stress on all your components. If you do all the above you'll absolutely see a difference in acceleration and handling. Your bike will feel quicker. These 1000cc bikes are PLENTY fast for the street bone stock so if you mainly ride street the mods I listed would be all you ever need and you'll keep most of your stock reliability.

Thanks man. Yeah the more I think about it, the less I like the turbo idea. Plus that's overkill for what I'm wanting anyway. Like you said, these bikes ARE fast! I'm just looking for that little bit more. Maybe trimming some fat, and exhaust and a flash are all I need.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
You also didn't share details on what your intended usage of the bike is as well. You mentioned that the bike is currently bone stock, so I'm assuming stock gearing?

With stock gearing the bike will hit the limiter in 6th at about 197mph, that's assuming you are still running the OEM rear tire size of 190/50. If you swapped the rear out to a 190/55 by now which most people do that would increase it to about 203mph when it hits the limiter because of the larger diameter of the tire.

Needless to say the bike doesn't make enough HP to get you up to that actual speed in the first place.

There is a quite a laundry list of things you could do as mentioned up there but the best bang for your buck I would say is do the following:

1 - get a new 520 chain and sprocket kit, go -1/+2 on the gearing. This is the cheapest and easiest mod that will make the bike accelerate much quicker. It will change you from a 17 to 16 tooth countershaft, and a 43 to 45 tooth rear sprocket. This will give you a NOTICEABLE boost in acceleration. It will drop the speed the bike hits the limiter in 6th from 197 to 186mph, and if you tell us that is not fast enough for someone tooling around on the street then I'm not sure what else to tell you.

2 - get a single-exit full exhaust. The K7-K8 came stock with a big hefty dual exhaust and heavy ass catalyzer box underneath. You can junk all that crap, save a ton of weight and make some better power with a simple single exit full system exhaust. Even if you just get a single exit slip-on (which will be a good bit cheaper) it will drop all that weight and help make better power provided you go and get it tuned.

The chain kit you can get for about $180-190, the exhaust about $900-1000 for a full system and maybe $500-600 for a slip-on depending on the brand and material its made out of (titanium vs steel etc). A proper tune on a dyno will run you about $300'ish, or you could send you ECU out to get flashed with a generic fuel map for about the same. Honestly if I were you I'd start with this before getting too far ahead of yourself.

You still didn't mention where you're located, we could offer some suggestions of dyno tuners in the area, I mean I'm assuming you don't live in Iceland.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You also didn't share details on what your intended usage of the bike is as well. You mentioned that the bike is currently bone stock, so I'm assuming stock gearing?

With stock gearing the bike will hit the limiter in 6th at about 197mph, that's assuming you are still running the OEM rear tire size of 190/50. If you swapped the rear out to a 190/55 by now which most people do that would increase it to about 203mph when it hits the limiter because of the larger diameter of the tire.

Needless to say the bike doesn't make enough HP to get you up to that actual speed in the first place.

There is a quite a laundry list of things you could do as mentioned up there but the best bang for your buck I would say is do the following:

1 - get a new 520 chain and sprocket kit, go -1/+2 on the gearing. This is the cheapest and easiest mod that will make the bike accelerate much quicker. It will change you from a 17 to 16 tooth countershaft, and a 43 to 45 tooth rear sprocket. This will give you a NOTICEABLE boost in acceleration. It will drop the speed the bike hits the limiter in 6th from 197 to 186mph, and if you tell us that is not fast enough for someone tooling around on the street then I'm not sure what else to tell you.

2 - get a single-exit full exhaust. The K7-K8 came stock with a big hefty dual exhaust and heavy ass catalyzer box underneath. You can junk all that crap, save a ton of weight and make some better power with a simple single exit full system exhaust. Even if you just get a single exit slip-on (which will be a good bit cheaper) it will drop all that weight and help make better power provided you go and get it tuned.

The chain kit you can get for about $180-190, the exhaust about $900-1000 for a full system and maybe $500-600 for a slip-on depending on the brand and material its made out of (titanium vs steel etc). A proper tune on a dyno will run you about $300'ish, or you could send you ECU out to get flashed with a generic fuel map for about the same. Honestly if I were you I'd start with this before getting too far ahead of yourself.

You still didn't mention where you're located, we could offer some suggestions of dyno tuners in the area, I mean I'm assuming you don't live in Iceland.
1. I am considering the gearing idea. The only thing about that is I do a fair bit of highway riding, and a lot of times I'm not riding hard. So the permanent loss of fuel efficiency is a concern. And, when I DO get on it, I've taken the bike beyond 299/185 on the speedo numerous times and I love it! Not sure if I wanna give up the top end.
2. I think getting rid of the stock exhaust and flashing my ECU is where I'll start. If I get it flashed from the same place that sells the exhaust, it should be pretty good.
As for tuners near me...I live in Saskatchewan Canada. Aside from calling dealers and seeing if they have a dyno, and have a guy who knows how to use it lol, the only place I found is a good 1000 miles away.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Well, Dynojet lists 3 certified tuning centers in Saskatoon and 1 in Regina....are you up in the far north of Saskatchewan?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Dynojet lists 3 certified tuning centers in Saskatoon and 1 in Regina....are you up in the far north of Saskatchewan?
I'm way south. Regina is a couple hours away, but that's a harley shop. I could call them and see if they do sport bikes too. I kinda doubt it though. Saskatoon is 5 hours away, which is doable. Problem is this is cruiser country up here. Very few sport bikes, so beyond a power commander and a generic map, or ecu flash, I don't have a lot of options. Not sure if I want to take my bike to a guy that doesn't regularly tune sport bikes either.
I think I was a bit ignorant approaching this too. What I wanted to do was figure out what I needed to hit say 200hp. Buy the parts (turbo, clutch, exhaust, cams, whatever) install it all on my own then just send my ecu away and I'd be good. But if I have to get a pro to tune it, that really changes things.

·
3,843 Posts
I'm way south. Regina is a couple hours away, but that's a harley shop. I could call them and see if they do sport bikes too. I kinda doubt it though. Saskatoon is 5 hours away, which is doable. Problem is this is cruiser country up here. Very few sport bikes, so beyond a power commander and a generic map, or ecu flash, I don't have a lot of options. Not sure if I want to take my bike to a guy that doesn't regularly tune sport bikes either.
I think I was a bit ignorant approaching this too. What I wanted to do was figure out what I needed to hit say 200hp. Buy the parts (turbo, clutch, exhaust, cams, whatever) install it all on my own then just send my ecu away and I'd be good. But if I have to get a pro to tune it, that really changes things.
Like I said, there's nothing beyond a full exhaust that you can do without full tuning. And a turbo is definitely out of the question. Not only will it need professional tuning, you can't really do anything other than extremely short pulls on the stock engine. If you try doing cool-guy 185+ pulls, that engine will be dead within the hour.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I said, there's nothing beyond a full exhaust that you can do without full tuning. And a turbo is definitely out of the question. Not only will it need professional tuning, you can't really do anything other than extremely short pulls on the stock engine. If you try doing cool-guy 185+ pulls, that engine will be dead within the hour.
Seems like either a little bump with the exhaust and a flash, or go full retard on the engine and find a pro to tune it. Lookin like option A lol

·
3,843 Posts
Seems like either a little bump with the exhaust and a flash, or go full retard on the engine and find a pro to tune it. Lookin like option A lol
Or option C, which I suggested earlier: just buy a different bike. A full exhaust+flash+possible auto tuner is probably going to set you back a decent chunk, around $1,500-2,000 for a quality brand. Use that money+sold bike money and you can easily buy yourself a newer bike that makes the same power numbers bone stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or option C, which I suggested earlier: just buy a different bike. A full exhaust+flash+possible auto tuner is probably going to set you back a decent chunk, around $1,500-2,000 for a quality brand. Use that money+sold bike money and you can easily buy yourself a newer bike that makes the same power numbers bone stock.
Yeah that's an option too. Well I'll keep pinching my pennies and see where I land in a couple months.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Are you around Estevan? I spent a lot of time in Moose Jaw when I was a pilot. Nice country for riding in the south... not so much in the north. lol

If you're serious about a build, I can point you to the right people here in Alberta. 180 HP on a K7 will cost you some money, but both builders can do it pretty quickly. Probably an 8 hour drive to get to them, though.

That being said, "there ain't no replacement for displacement." Like others have said, it will be WAAAY cheaper to buy a modern bike with those numbers than to build yours up, plus time...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you around Estevan? I spent a lot of time in Moose Jaw when I was a pilot. Nice country for riding in the south... not so much in the north. lol

If you're serious about a build, I can point you to the right people here in Alberta. 180 HP on a K7 will cost you some money, but both builders can do it pretty quickly. Probably an 8 hour drive to get to them, though.

That being said, "there ain't no replacement for displacement." Like others have said, it will be WAAAY cheaper to buy a modern bike with those numbers than to build yours up, plus time...
Yep I live in Estevan. And yeah I am gonna save up and see what my options are in a couple months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
Prairieboy77
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing