Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
461 - 480 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have my 21H70 (Californian ECU, E33) replaced (recall).
Since I had this new ECU in my hands, I have it flashed too.

Can you guys tell me, what the differences are I will notice when riding with the new flashed ECU?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
That will depend on what have you flashed it with. Did you get the restrictions removed, some F1 codes disabled or fuel/ignition maps modified to suit your exhaust/air filter etc combination.You really need to ask whoever did the flashing what changes were made to the OEM setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That will depend on what have you flashed it with. Did you get the restrictions removed, some F1 codes disabled or fuel/ignition maps modified to suit your exhaust/air filter etc combination.You really need to ask whoever did the flashing what changes were made to the OEM setup.
I brought the unit to Carmo electronics in the Netherlands. They outsourced it to ???. No feedback was given.
I have requested to removed all the restrictions in every gear, steeringdamper, exup valve, O2 sensor error, engine braking, increase max rpm (+900rpm), inproved gas response, remove injectionstop during decelleration...

The fuel mapping is not really important to me since I will have it on the dyno soon. Also, the Bazzaz Z-Fi-TC has a a A/F sensor in the exhaust that can suggest a better mapping.

He also told me that there was no mapping to fit my engine changes (air funnel, increased compression, flowed cilinder head, larger valves, full Yoshi R77 exhaust).

So after I have a good A/F mapping, what will I notice riding?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
In my personal opinion your money would be better spend on a data logger and WRT box & software as it would give you all the control of what is happening to your bike rather than relying on some flashing by the unknown vendor. It would also be a lot cheaper. I would also stay away from any third party piggyback modules as the original ECU has everything you need (and WRT gives you access to it) for a track bike. The Bazzaz Z-Fi-TC is just a gimmick for the naive as far as the TC goes. If you really need one (again very debatable topic) I would go for Nemesis for example. Of course these are my personal opinions based on my experience and I am sure there will be those who disagree with it. You must also realise that the dyno will not give you optimal A/F ratios across the whole range because it is measured/adjusted in a very artificial conditions. Which is why again a log box and the day at the track is the best appoach. As to what will you notice riding do not expect too much past the hard changes like max RPM increase or disabling error codes. As you have disabled the steering damper (instead of just tuning the dampers map) some wobble that hopefully will not turn into a tank slapper is a real possibility. I am not sure what the "improved gas response" really means as it sounds like a marketing leaflet. It appears that you have done some engine work - head porting (?) but there is no details as to what compression you are have or how the flow rates changed with these bigger valves or whether the valve/ignition timing was adjusted accordingly. Looks to me like a lot of tuning is necessary yet to get this engine in order. Sorry for the length of it but there is a lot of stuff there to consider. So best of luck, let us know how did it all go and post some dyno results.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
I brought the unit to Carmo electronics in the Netherlands. They outsourced it to ???. No feedback was given.
I have requested to removed all the restrictions in every gear, steeringdamper, exup valve, O2 sensor error, engine braking, increase max rpm (+900rpm), inproved gas response, remove injectionstop during decelleration...

The fuel mapping is not really important to me since I will have it on the dyno soon. Also, the Bazzaz Z-Fi-TC has a a A/F sensor in the exhaust that can suggest a better mapping.

He also told me that there was no mapping to fit my engine changes (air funnel, increased compression, flowed cilinder head, larger valves, full Yoshi R77 exhaust).

So after I have a good A/F mapping, what will I notice riding?
How much did they charge you for this? I would like to know what BIN-files they are using, because so far I haven't heard anybody having a K7-K8 BIN-file with decel fuel cut disabled.

I had my bike remapped on a dyno using Woolich software and tuner's own analyzing software. I'm really happy with the results. I also have a Woolich LogBox + ZT3. Too bad that there is no option for fuel cut disable.

Here are before and after AFR 3D graphs.

Logged AFR values. High AFR values are most likely, because I haven't set the filters properly so it shows values when coming off the throttle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my personal opinion your money would be better spend on a data logger and WRT box & software as it would give you all the control of what is happening to your bike rather than relying on some flashing by the unknown vendor. It would also be a lot cheaper. I would also stay away from any third party piggyback modules as the original ECU has everything you need (and WRT gives you access to it) for a track bike. The Bazzaz Z-Fi-TC is just a gimmick for the naive as far as the TC goes. If you really need one (again very debatable topic) I would go for Nemesis for example. Of course these are my personal opinions based on my experience and I am sure there will be those who disagree with it. You must also realise that the dyno will not give you optimal A/F ratios across the whole range because it is measured/adjusted in a very artificial conditions. Which is why again a log box and the day at the track is the best appoach. As to what will you notice riding do not expect too much past the hard changes like max RPM increase or disabling error codes. As you have disabled the steering damper (instead of just tuning the dampers map) some wobble that hopefully will not turn into a tank slapper is a real possibility. I am not sure what the "improved gas response" really means as it sounds like a marketing leaflet. It appears that you have done some engine work - head porting (?) but there is no details as to what compression you are have or how the flow rates changed with these bigger valves or whether the valve/ignition timing was adjusted accordingly. Looks to me like a lot of tuning is necessary yet to get this engine in order. Sorry for the length of it but there is a lot of stuff there to consider. So best of luck, let us know how did it all go and post some dyno results.
Shifu, Thanks for your feedback!
I agree with you on some points, but I do have a spending limit. Regarding the datalogging, I have been looking for an AIM EVO-4 with a dashboard. But ending up with just a AIM Solo DL which records some data from the ECU. (not possible to expand with analog port like e.g. suspension sensors).

I have the Bazzaz since it measures the A/F while riding and I have two different maps, selectable with a switch on the clipon.
(Tc on the Bazzaz is something you can forget). But all settings are adaptable with an USB port on the front side of the bike, no tools needed.

Nemesis is indeed a very good way to spend your money. Maybe later?? Any experience with Grip-one? Comparable?

I disabled e.g. the steering damper since I have replaced the OEM one with an Ohlins. Adjustable without just two fingers, no PC needed.
The company that did the flashing has done it before for the Dutch Ten Kate Racing Team. Guess they know what they are doing.
But this is no Honda ofcourse! :lol

The head was indeed flowed on a flow bank. The compression is now around 12.7:1 (was around 11.9, while the brochure promises 12.5)
The Ferrea valves are 1mm larger and stronger springs have been mounted. The flow with the treated ports increased 20%.

The Original cams haven't been timed. (Yoshimura cams are 1100euro!)
I hope the flashing takes care of some ignition timing.

The next track day will be end of March in Spain. I will post a dyno before that date.
Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How much did they charge you for this? I would like to know what BIN-files they are using, because so far I haven't heard anybody having a K7-K8 BIN-file with decel fuel cut disabled.

I had my bike remapped on a dyno using Woolich software and tuner's own analyzing software. I'm really happy with the results. I also have a Woolich LogBox + ZT3. Too bad that there is no option for fuel cut disable.

Here are before and after AFR 3D graphs.

Logged AFR values. High AFR values are most likely, because I haven't set the filters properly so it shows values when coming off the throttle.
Your graphs look way better than before. Do you notice the results when riding?

I asked for information about what they exactly did. Unfortunately that wasn't given. There was a list of details what they were about to do.
Hope it works better tahn before. It costed me around 400euro :sad
So it better works!

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Your graphs look way better than before. Do you notice the results when riding?

I asked for information about what they exactly did. Unfortunately that wasn't given. There was a list of details what they were about to do.
So it better works!
Throttle response is really good now. Only thing missing is the fuel cut disable. :)
Holy sh*t, 400 euros for mail in ECU flashing. :eek:hmy I could pay like 50euros for generic maps etc...

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
So it better works![/QUOTE]

400 Euro and they didn't even tell you what they did or presented any comparable data? I'd say you were taken for a ride and I don't care what credentials they have and what they were about to do (?) That is just unprofessional. We are all cost sensitive but a lot of good stuff you can get for much less if you do a bit of research. That money would buy you a datalogger and all the hardware to tune your bike (plus access to all the settings and maps) by yourself 1000 times and you would have a spare change for a set of tires. I suspect that if you want to get any real improvement you will end up doing it anyway so here is the link.
http://www.woolichracing.com/log-box-pro-denso.aspx

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On another note, anyone know what pins are required on the SDS port when connecting through flash harness? When flashing is the bike required to be on "Dealer mode" at any time? This question has probably been asked before but can't seem to find it and have done a bit of digging.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have my 21H70 (Californian ECU, E33) replaced (recall).
Since I had this new ECU in my hands, I have it flashed too.

Can you guys tell me, what the differences are I will notice when riding with the new flashed ECU?

Last week I was in Spain on the track of Alcarras. Been here a few times before. This time I made a big progress of 2,53 seconds.
Never made such a huge step forward.

Guess this is because of the flashed ECU.

While riding I didn't notice much difference besides a higher max RPM. However, in the lower gears the bike seems to accelerate easier.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Great job JK750!! You must give a more detailed review of your obvious success.

Is your new bin file specific to your bike or can they be implemented into others (or at least the fuel cut-out portion). Would you be will to share to other very grateful forums members?!

Am not up to speed on flashing yet so not sure how the bin file are edited, compiled, etc. - that's my next task.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Great job JK750!! You must give a more detailed review of your obvious success.

Is your new bin file specific to your bike or can they be implemented into others (or at least the fuel cut-out portion). Would you be will to share to other very grateful forums members?!

Am not up to speed on flashing yet so not sure how the bin file are edited, compiled, etc. - that's my next task.
For now, it's only for between friends. At the moment my friend's friend have fuel cut disabled bin files for K3-K4 1000, K6-K7 600/750 and K7-K8 1000. I'm sure he could modify other bin files also.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Is your friend going commercial or keeping it hobby?

I was told K1 K2 1K didn't have fuel cut. Introduced from K3 on.

I eliminated the fuel cut by modifying the IAP sensor output. But was hesitant to go commercial as I thought the ECU hackers would find it sooner or later.

461 - 480 of 497 Posts