Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K7 GSXR600 now (Will never own another Suzuki after this) and just finished a valve adjustment and putting new fairings on her.

-Tried starting her up and it wouldn't crank
-Jumped her off the truck and it crank very slowly and then gradually sped up
until it fired up.
-Took it for a quick spin around the block and it had a slight whine when
revving and then stalled twice coming to a light when I pulled the clutch in
-When restarting her it would again crank very slowly and then gradually
speed up before starting
-got it home and it wasn't throwing any codes except the tps is slightly out
out of alignment (like its been since I got it)

What would cause an issue like this?

____

·
Registered
95 Posts
How old is that battery? How long has that battery been sitting around flat? I would give it a good charge and then leave it overnight. Next morning measure the voltage of the battery with a multimeter. If it is less then about 12.5volts then that battery is most likely gone.

Also if trying to jump a dead battery, you need decent jumper leads. Some of those cheap jumper leads have very thin inner core wire, that can't flow enough current to start a bike/car with a fully dead battery.

Once your bike is running I would test the voltage at the battery terminals, to see if the bike is charging the battery. The voltage when running should be around 14.4volts. If the voltage is low then you may have a bad stator or rectifier which seems to be a running theme on this year model.

The whine is most likely from the stator trying to charge that dead battery.

And lastly, check your battery terminals, perhaps they are loose or corrosion build up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery was 3 weeks old, bike was sitting under a week charging was fine, initial voltage was a little low, but even when jumping off the truck (known good) it acted the same.
I redid the valve inspection process by the manual and everything was as it should be during the disassembly, from there I redid the cam instal steps and I think that the cam may have skipped a tooth during the initial adjustment. it ran fine no issues starting, idling, or running. still a slight whine but nothing I'm worried about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-All right so she fired right up this morning no issues.
-Went about 10 minutes and then at lights I started hearing and feling a rattle
when the clutch was released in neutral as well as the clutch kind of slipping
into a lockup nonlinearly to the lever pull.
-Made my first stop went to start her back up and it did the spool up start again
with the same clutch issues on the way home.
-Jumping her off the truck when I got home (again known good battery) made
no change to the spoolup start

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you have to change any shims? In other words, did you remove the cams? Did you remember to reset the cam chain tensioner before install? Maybe there is too much pressure on the cam chain and that is making the whine noise (and now the rattle)?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have a K7 GSXR600 now (Will never own another Suzuki after this) and just finished a valve adjustment and putting new fairings on her.

-Tried starting her up and it wouldn't crank
-Jumped her off the truck and it crank very slowly and then gradually sped up
until it fired up.
-Took it for a quick spin around the block and it had a slight whine when
revving and then stalled twice coming to a light when I pulled the clutch in
-When restarting her it would again crank very slowly and then gradually
speed up before starting
-got it home and it wasn't throwing any codes except the tps is slightly out
out of alignment (like its been since I got it)

What would cause an issue like this?

____
Did the bike do this before you did the valve adjustment?
If "No", I can tell you what the problem is,....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you have to change any shims? In other words, did you remove the cams? Did you remember to reset the cam chain tensioner before install? Maybe there is too much pressure on the cam chain and that is making the whine noise (and now the rattle)?
that is correct about the whine, a buddy had the same thing happen with his DR650, my old bike never did that so it was a new phenomena to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts