Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27534

Rizla Suzuki’s Chris Walker is delighted with the performance of the new GSX-R1000K7 after completing a two-day test at Valencia in Spain.

Walker rode the 2006 Rizla Suzuki at the Mallory Park Race of the Year and for the first morning of the Valencia test to get up to speed before trying the new fledgling GSX-R1000K7. Despite it featuring numerous standard production parts, within 15-laps he had comfortably bettered his previous best lap time.

Rizla Suzuki young gun Cal Crutchlow tested the 2006 Rizla Suzuki during both days and finished just one second behind his team mate. He tested many parts and Dunlop tyres and is champing at the bit to ride the new GSX-R1000K7 at the team’s next test, scheduled for late January 2007.

In dry and warm conditions the Rizla Suzuki pair completed 293 laps over the two-day test. Rizla Suzuki will spend the winter months building and developing the all-new race bikes at its Verwood headquarters in Dorset before undertaking further foreign tests early in the New Year.

Chris Walker:

“I started out on the 2006 bike so I could compare with the new GSX-R. On the K7 the engine is in development specification and there were road bike parts being used but even then it was a noticeable improvement over the old race bike.

“The new bike was easier to ride, accurate and took less effort to hold its line and do what I wanted it to do. It’s really encouraging as my lap times were good and there still remains a lot of untapped potential. It’s a fast user-friendly bike and the team will now be working to make it even quicker. I’m smiling.”

Cal Crutchlow:

“It’s been a good test and I’ve learnt a lot about what you can adjust and change on a Superbike – there is a lot more than I have ever had to think about before. PJ, my Chief Mechanic, has also learnt a lot so from that point of view it’s been a great test.

“Personally I am a little disappointed to have been beaten by my team mate but we all know the 2007 bike is at least a half second or more better than the 2006 GSX-R, so I’m okay with it. I can’t wait to get my hands on the new bike so I can test it. January can’t come quick enough.”

Simon Buckmaster - Team Manager:

“It’s been a good first test for Rizla Suzuki. It’s already clear the new GSX-R1000K7 is a better race bike than the 2006 version and that gives us all encouragement although we will not be relaxing at all. Instead we will be working hard over the coming months to build and improve the package we currently have in time for our next test.

“Chris was on lap record pace and while Cal was a little bit behind him he learnt about what can be changed on a Superbike and will be a lot stronger because of it. It’s back to England to start the hard developmental work now before starting a comprehensive foreign test schedule early in 2007.”

·
Registered
118 Posts
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!

NOTHING WILL EVER BEST MY K6!! LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!

:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

·
Registered
445 Posts
gixxercrasher22 said:
First of all, a suzuki racer going faster on the K7 than the K6 is great marketing.

QUICK QUICK everyone put up your 1k 06 for sale CHEAP real CHEAP so I can get a great deal...lol

(joke)

And your right gixxercrasher22 ofcource they will say its faster and better...they are not about to say...its no faster ...we just change the paint to something UGLY..lol

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
This..........

Turning faster laptimes than this (or close to it)........

Why do I find this hard to believe. Could it be the full Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes and +200 HP that the Rizla bike has compared to the stock components of the K7. I'm sure the K7 is better than the K6 in several areas.............but not that much.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gixxercrasher22 said:
First of all, a suzuki racer going faster on the K7 than the K6 is great marketing.

Second, the people that can get a performance benefit over what the K6 offers is not a street rider, but an extremely skilled racer.
I disagree w/ both of your points. Yes it is great marketing but it is also 100% true.

I can hardly think of ANY bike test where they misrepresented the times the new bike was putting down. Usually they say something like "the new bike is a good starting point and we are sure that once it's developed it should go faster than the old one." But when the new bike that is not even dialed in is already outrunning the bike that has 2 years of development behind it, the new bike is just better.

I also disagree w/ your second point as well. If you are a hardcore canyon scratcher like I was for about 10 years an easy to ride bike can make huge strides in your comfort level and in your speeds while riding.

It's kinda like DOT race tires vs. street tires. Most Expert racers will only go .5 faster on DOT race tires but most Novices will drop 4-6 seconds due to the confidence factor and because they are not as able to ride around the flaws as the better riders.

The worse the rider, the MORE the equipment generally matters assuing they are actually trying to ride hard.

It's no secret that in Moto-X many of the pros ride clapped out practice bikes w/ little maintenance and leaky suspension yet they still turn the about the same lap times. I on the other hand can only ride Moto-X well w/ a perfectly dialed in bike.

Now if your just a Starbucks kind of guy, then they are all the same more or less and the difference between the K1 and the K7 is moot.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Sun Hester said:
It's kinda like DOT race tires vs. street tires. Most Expert racers will only go .5 faster on DOT race tires but most Novices will drop 4-6 seconds due to the confidence factor and because they are not as able to ride around the flaws as the better riders.

Negative

I would say it's the polar opposite...........for example:

http://www.superbike.co.uk/products/tyres/SuperBike_on_the_launch_of_the_new_Michelin_Pilot_Power_2CT_news_80529.html

I could waffle on about the cunning use of different compounds in the new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, but there is one testimony that will speak more eloquently. Yamaha rider Colin Edwards stuck a random (I witnessed the random-ness) pair of these road tyres on his YZR M1 at Sepang and did five laps on them, with a best of 2-12, which was about eight seconds slower than his best race lap at the circuit in 2005.
Sure the tyre was spinning up in places and Yamaha softened the power on his bike (maybe down to 235bhp?) but Edwards wasn't exactly pushing hard so close to the season. “If we did more work on the set up and suspension I reckon a 2-10 would be quite easy,” said the affable Texan.
The Power 2CT is based on the standard Pilot Power carcass and sidewall, but with two compounds on each tyre. Which is to say 20 per cent softer (grippier) rubber on the shoulders of the front and rear, with different compounds in the central belt.
Oh and if you are wondering what kind of state the tyres Edwards' tortured looked like – well, they looked like they had been well scrubbed in. No chunking, no de-lamination, no nothing. Amazing.
Michelin claims you can lean a road bike shod with these tyres to 51.8 degrees rather than 55 degrees like a MotoGP slick. I would love to tell you that I achieved this, but the rain came on and put an end to further track-based shenanigans. But, given Edwards' performance, what can I tell you?

·
Banned
885 Posts
Hester, "hardcore" canyon scratching does not even begin to scratch the potential of the K6, let alone the K7. If you can't reach close to the full potential of the bike before, your not going to get anything out of a bike with such small improvements. Hint, it's not going to happen on the street.

If you'd like to witness what it's like to ride a K6 to any potential, and/or show your DOT vs street tire argument proved wrong c'mon down to college station on the 11th - they'll be a trackday at TWS. We'll hook up and have some fun.

Sun Hester said:
I can hardly think of ANY bike test where they misrepresented the times the new bike was putting down
I guess you live under a rock man, unfortunately it happens all the time - ESPECIALLY when the factory is testing the bikes.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Sun Hester said:
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27534

Chris Walker:

“I started out on the 2006 bike so I could compare with the new GSX-R. On the K7 the engine is in development specification and there were road bike parts being used but even then it was a noticeable improvement over the old race bike.

“The new bike was easier to ride, accurate and took less effort to hold its line and do what I wanted it to do. It’s really encouraging as my lap times were good and there still remains a lot of untapped potential. It’s a fast user-friendly bike and the team will now be working to make it even quicker. I’m smiling.”
I don't find this hard to believe at all.
That the bike had road parts could be insignificant and probably still means it had the essentials like top notch race suspension, brakes, exhaust and fuelling.

Remember that Suzuki changed the geometry and the center of gravity on the K7. That can prove to be a very significant move and can explain Walkers statement of effortless/accurate/easy ride.

BTW, when did we last see a new bike from Suzuki that did not improve on the previous model in terms of performance?

We just have to face it, the K7 is a better bike :punk

·
Banned
885 Posts
Who's arguing it won't be a better bike?

I think what this discussion really boils down to is what exactly on their K7 was a "road bike part".

It's no argument that Chris Walker can find faults with the K6 that we can never find. You only notice those faults when you're at his level.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
gixxercrasher22 said:
Who's arguing it won't be a better bike?

I think what this discussion really boils down to is what exactly on their K7 was a "road bike part".

It's no argument that Chris Walker can find faults with the K6 that we can never find. You only notice those faults when you're at his level.
Agree, besides some "road parts" are pretty good.

Just look at how well some of the superstock bikes performes.

·
Registered
764 Posts
while it does sound like much of a marketing thing than anything, when the k5 was first released it was running better times stock (with different tyres) than a superstock (suspension, basic performance, pads, etc) k4 at daytona.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SPL170db said:
Negative

I would say it's the polar opposite...........for example:...
Proves absolutely nothing being that he didn't also do some laps on the standard Michelin street tires. My info might be a bit out of date but I've had this exact conversation w/ the Michelin and the Dunlop distributors in the past and many endurance teams were running the street tires and only losing 1/2 second a lap or so.

Gixxercrasher22, I haven't raced at TWS since '95 or so but I did turn 1:21s on the old configuration on a D-Superbike (about 1/4 second off the lap record at the time for that class). Of course I was a prov-nov then and I quit due to a serious lack of funds. But at this point I'm just an old dude who hasn't ridden hard since I left CA back in 2003. It was a blast riding w/ Palomartian back in the day in CA though! Don't even have a streetbike right now and to be honest I prefer riding at 80% and dragging knees on the street all day cause I like the variety. So thanks for the track day offer, but I'll pass.

:) :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Chris Walker:

This does not sound like it was a stock K7, though they did have some stock parts on it.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Sun Hester said:
Proves absolutely nothing being that he didn't also do some laps on the standard Michelin street tires.
:) :)

Those were standard Michelin street tires. What do you think the Pilot Power 2CT's are? The Power Race tire is the DOT version that Michelin runs.

;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
C4_crusin said:
didnt chris walker ride a kawi in WSB, i guess hes coming over to the good side of the force. hell maybe he just wants a podium finish :)
Yup, and he allready got one on a Rizla Suzuki:
"RIZLA SUZUKI’S Chris Walker led from start-to-finish to win The Race of the Year at Mallory Park" :wacko

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.