Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forums here. Recently bought an 07 gsxr 600. I missed riding a lot and ended up buying a lemon :(

Anyways, when I try to start the engine up, the rear servo motor starts to click when I put the engine switch on. Then when I go to start the engine, nothing happens. I probably have to replace the servo motor too, but do you guys think it's the starter? I'm a total newb to fixing my own bike. I don't think it's the battery because all the lights work and fuel pump starts up and servo motor starts (even though it sounds bad). Really need some advice. Please help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do have the FI light too...and non OEM levers...you think a good start would be to replace the SET and the two switches?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
What's the "rear servo motor"? Download a copy of the service manual and go to the LOCATION OF ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS pages, maybe around 9-6, to identify the part. A multimeter and the STARTER SYSTEM AND SIDE-STAND/IGNITION INTERLOCK SYSTEM diagram, maybe on 9-12, ought to allow you to narrow things down quite a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Near the battery under the seat but closer to the rear cowl, there's a relay you can slide off or just hold your hand on it. See if you can feel it clicking when you hit the start switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also you should be able to bypass all the safety sensors by jumping the two terminals on that relay if it works anything like a car. That will help rule out a thing or two.

·
7,701 Posts
That's the starter solenoid and is an important point for multimeter measurements. Don't be bypassing it, whatever that means.

I'm worried that you're over your head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I tried to check everything out one more time and I don't feel my starter switch click. If that's the problem I'm gonna order a new one...does that sound like the problem?? Sorry for being a newb but thank you for the help!

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,146 Posts
Don't get me wrong, but you seem eager to replace parts, hoping that it'll fix things. A no-start condition in a bike with unknown history, can be due to various causes. Your best bet is to troubleshoot the problem methodically, as others have suggested, starting with measuring the battery voltage (as getting some lights to turn on doesn't say much about the battery's condition).

If you don't know what to test, or how to test it, we can provide some guidance. If you don't feel up to it, or don't want to bother, you'd best get it to someone else.

·
7,701 Posts
Check the voltage to the starter solenoid, both the coil and the main terminals. The coil high side, probably Y/G, gets 12V from the START button. The low side, probably B/Y, runs to the clutch switch. You should be able to confirm that it's grounded when the clutch lever is pulled (your non-OEM clutch lever could be improperly installed). The coil resistance is 3-6 ohms. Solenoids are fairly robust. It's more likely that there's a problem with the START button or the clutch switch.

You're running blind if you don't have a multimeter and know how to use it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts