Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this conversion? I am starting, I have the forks, R1 calipers, and a set of 04 1000 wheels. The forks slid into my triple trees and bolted up perfect. :confused The problem I have run into is the front axle. Apparently it is 06 and newer. Has anyone messed with the new axle? Please let me know as I would love to get on the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using stock SRAD triple trees, K6 forks and K4 wheels. The axle diameter is the same, the problem is in the axle length. The stock K6 axle is to short. The SRAD axle is to big to go through the fork on the right side, I am told that the smaller diameter axle hole is new for K6. I have thought about it and I think the triple trees are the same K3-K6. If I were to get a K3-6 triple tree then I could bolt everything up and use the stock K6 axle. The forks look great on the bike and I'm sure the K4 wheels being a bit lighter will help too. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mmm, sounds like you need to either get the later model triples or make a custom axle, which will be a hassle. I'm gonna start playing with mine too next week, those forks are going to look pretty schmick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After mounting my calipers and wheel I did some measuring and I have figured out that if this is done on an SRAD you have to use the K6 triple trees as well. The distance is to far apart for even a custom axle. The inside of the brake calipers hit the inside of the brake pad. To make the custom axle work you would have space the calipers in. The SRAD trees are to wide. I will keep you guys up on how this goes. If anyone has a late 1000 triple tree or 06 axle please let me know. I'll post pictures when its done. Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way I understand it is that the k5 and earlier forks will work with the SRAD triple trees and axles. The K6 are different. They take a totally different axle. I now wish that I had gotten a set of K4 1000 forks and calipers. Let me know your thoughts they are always welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After doing some digging and measuring, it appears as though the K6 1000 has a norrower triple tree. I believe that k2 and up are the same but I have found no hard proof of this. As soon as I do I will post the info and the pictures of the completed project.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The K5 and K6 are identical. K7 looks to be the same forks as the K5 - K6 too.

It sounds to me like the forks/triples/axle all need to be from the same model bike, since axle length appears to be the main problem, right?

I am now thinking of getting K5-6 triples and axle, then I'm hoping the srad wheel will bolt up with a few spacers, not sure how the discs will line up tho... keep us posted!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The K5 & K6 triple trees are narrower than the SRAD. I think you could cut down the spacers you already have and reuse them as they are the same diameter and as the SRAD. I have my axle and as soon as I get the upper & lower trees I should be set. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
im thinking of doing the same...

i have my eye on a Complete frontend of a K6 (no wheel and discs)- so it has k6 legs, triples, calipers, and axle..

can the K6 axle go through the Srad wheel bearings ?.. and do you think its only a matter of correct spacers, when i have the matching k6 axle and triples ??

hope for an answer ASAP, as i wont miss the bargain im looking at..

cheers
Peter

·
Banned
648 Posts
in order to use the gix thou foks on a srad wheel ,the axle needs to be shaved down at the spacer side (the fat end ) by some ,i cant remember excactly how much but i did it once and its not much at all .I think i still have the axle .

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks for that fat. I've just bought a set of triples and an axle off an 04 750. Hoping that it'll just bolt up. At least if the axle just needs to be shaved a bit thats not too hard to do on a lathe.

Hey Peet, I've no idea there mate. Crossram might know by now?

·
Registered
153 Posts
fatbabycycle said:
in order to use the gix thou foks on a srad wheel ,the axle needs to be shaved down at the spacer side (the fat end ) by some ,i cant remember excactly how much but i did it once and its not much at all .I think i still have the axle .
So .. are you saying that it is the K6 axle, that needs to be shaved down ??

·
Banned
648 Posts
peet2200 said:
So .. are you saying that it is the K6 axle, that needs to be shaved down ??
yes ,the k6 at the fat end(for lack of a better explanation) is a bit too long at the spacer side and will not space it evenly between the calipers and rotors .

one side has a removble spacer and the other side the spacer is part of the axle,that is the side that has to be milled back from the inside on a lathe .Il try and find that axle i did and measure it

the spacers in the srad wheel are longer inside of the wheel on one side compared to the newer versions of wheels and spacers thats why the axle needs tp be shaved .Of course its easier just to get the wheel and axle that goes with the forks ,but its stil very easily doable .

you may even be able to swap out the inside bearings and spacers from te new bike ,but eaier and cheaper to mill the axle .

·
Registered
153 Posts
fatbabycycle said:
yes ,the k6 at the fat end....

one side has a removble spacer and the other side the spacer is part of the axle,that is the side that has to be milled back from the inside on a lathe .Il try and find that axle i did and measure it

the spacers in the srad wheel are longer inside of the wheel on one side compared to the newer versions of wheels and spacers thats why the axle needs tp be shaved .Of course its easier just to get the wheel and axle that goes with the forks ,but its stil very easily doable .

you may even be able to swap out the inside bearings and spacers from te new bike ,but eaier and cheaper to mill the axle .
Thanks a million.. makes my choice easier.. now i just have to decide whether to spend all the money on that :scratch

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here's the latest, K4 750 triples are in, straight bolt in affair. K6 1000 forks are in, dead simple again (although I've got them as far down into the triples as they will reasonable go because these forks are about 5mm shorter than the SRAD ones). But this is where it gets tricky, the 750 axle that came with the triples is too thick to fit the forks. So I've got a 1000 axle on its way, hopefully it is the right length. If it fits, then I'll need to trim the bit the axle screws into on one side in a lathe and make up a spacer for the other side to hold the wheel dead center. The only other thing to do is make some small ally spacers to hold the radial calipers out a bit to squeeze nicely on the 320mm wavey discs.

This is how its looking at the moment with the 750 axle just sitting in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have my forks bolted on. My next issue is the ignition switch. Since you can't use the 96 switch on the 06 forks you must get an 06 switch. The issue is with the wiring. I had my bike running with the old switch but when I plugged in the new switch everything works except for the ignitor.....NO SPARK. I have looked at both wiring diagrams and the only difference is the black wire with the white tracer (B/W) that is on the 96 switch but is omitted from the 06 switch. The B/W wire goes to ground. I don't know what I'm missing but its something. If ANYONE has any ideas on this PLEASE let me know. I'm misssing out on some fantastic riding weather. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.