Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding my bike today I noticed a switch that I never use and quite frankly completely forgot about. The manual calls the switch the dimmer switch located on the right side under the RED run / stop switch.

I would like to know what the purpose of this switch is because when I press the switch it shuts off the headlight, release the switch and the lights come back on.

FYI: Everything electrically works like it should the HI / Low beams and Pass Switch all work great and perhaps this is a completely normal function of the dimmer for this year bike ( I'm not sure that's why I'm posting)

I did call 2 Suzuki dealerships one said the new bikes have the same switch that allows the rider to select 5 different styles of dimming. The other dealer said that my bikes dimmer condition is normal and that it might be some European or other Countries requirement.

So I'd like to ask the forum members how their dimmer switch works on their K6 - Does it actually dim the lights or does it shut them off momentarily until the switch is released?

Thank you!

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,559 Posts
The only switch on the right side beneath the red kill switch is the momentary start button. It has the feature of cutting off power to the high and low beams while the button is pressed, i.e. while the starter is cranking. This reduces the draw on the battery by 4.6 to 9.6 amps while cranking, not a bad idea in general but particularly appropriate with the slightly reduced cranking ability of the K5 battery. It's incorrect to refer to it as a dimmer switch.

The wiring diagram shows how it works. See STARTER BUTTON. There is a "DIMMER SWITCH" on the left handlebar. It's only function is to turn on the high beam.

"a switch that I never use" So you push start the bike or use a roller starter?

P.S. "switch that allows the rider to select 5 different styles of dimming" That sounds a lot like the cluster's adjustable background light level feature. It has nothing to do with headlight brightness. I wonder if you didn't properly explain things or you were talking to a idiot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After riding my bike today I noticed a switch that I never use and quite frankly completely forgot about. The manual calls the switch the dimmer switch located on the right side under the RED run / stop switch.

I would like to know what the purpose of this switch is because when I press the switch it shuts off the headlight, release the switch and the lights come back on.

FYI: Everything electrically works like it should the HI / Low beams and Pass Switch all work great and perhaps this is a completely normal function of the dimmer for this year bike ( I'm not sure that's why I'm posting)

I did call 2 Suzuki dealerships one said the new bikes have the same switch that allows the rider to select 5 different styles of dimming. The other dealer said that my bikes dimmer condition is normal and that it might be some European or other Countries requirement.

So I'd like to ask the forum members how their dimmer switch works on their K6 - Does it actually dim the lights or does it shut them off momentarily until the switch is released?

Thank you!

This sounds more like the Pass switch on the left hand grip switch control box. Used for flashing your headlamp to signal that you’re passing around someone, or to tell someone to turn off their brights or turn on their lights.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Meeps
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing