Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Usually I don't like posting but spending hours searching and testing everything possible / going to the mechanic (the shop I trust in my city is closed until September, vacation, so not an option) so I though I'd try find some peace of mind / solution here. This will be a pretty long read with everything I noticed so thank you if you last through all of it lol.

Quick history: bought a K6 a few months ago, after 350km it spit a connection rod through the engine block while cruising on the highway (bike was tunned up and used for 10-20 drag runs, Yoshimura camshafts, remapped, 200+hp on the dyno which lasted for about 350km of fun), I did an engine swap (K4 engine, K6 head, K6 crankshft, only engine I could find around, I think I read someone that this is done for 'race engines', anyway, bike's been running good for 1500km, if you have any tips about this Frankenstein please do share, I just hope this doesn't blow on me too lol) so now it has a stock map but the launch control is still there, Akrapovic downpipes, some universal (china probably) muffler and a Pipercross race filter.

In the last 500km I started hearing a sound every time I take off: it's a clicking, coming from someone on the front end, right when the clutch starts engaging until it fully engages. It's hard to tell if it's metal / plastic, somehow sounds like when you try and stretch a piece of plastic until it makes some clicking, while also sounding similar to how your exhaust pipes click when cooling off.
  • I cleaned and lubed the chain and then took it out to a shop to adjust it as it was a bit on the loose side, hoping this was the issue, now it is within parameters but the clicking still there
  • happening only when engaging clutch, I thought this was it, but I think I'm hearing it when coming to a full stop as well, with the clutch disengaged (in the video at the gas station). You could compare the sound to dingling some clutch plates in your hand, but I hope that's not what's happening in my clutch lol. It doesn't slip, takes off without an issue, it's just that damn clicking. Could this sound come from the clutch? If yes, how, why?
  • Brake discs/pads are in really good condition, I read that the pads could 'move' and hit the disc? But that wouldn't explain the clicking when stopping with the same constant breaking and the click would be just when coming to a full stop (discs don't move at all when shaking them by hand) so another cause could be:
  • Forks low on oil? I also read that somewhere, but again, why, how would this clicking sound happen?
  • Doesn't seem to happen at all for the first 4-5 take offs / when he engine is cold, only after getting warm (170+ F). How could the engine being cold influence this?
  • If taking off slowly, the clicks have more time between each other and happen throughout the clutch's engagement, if taking off harder they happen pretty fast close together (might be the same number of clicks, didn't count them lol).
  • Timing chain does not seem to be the issue as the bike doesn't do the sound idling / after taking off, it sounds and rides great the rest of the time
  • This started as a safety concern (damn thing blew a rod at 200kmph on the highway drowning my rear tire in oil) but now I'm more annoyed that I can't find the source of this clicking
And since I hate "I hear ratatata sound plz help" posts without an actual sound, here's the video with a couple of examples and when when stopping (when stopping I really have a hard time hearing it since it doesn't always happen, like it does when taking off). It's a bit hard to head on video (but you hear it with the helmet pretty well), but if you listen carefully you'll hear it on every take off.

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=Veel9R83DTU (can't post the link since this is my first post)

Any help / suggestion for testing possible causes (with common tools and common mechanical skills) are very welcome! Thank you!

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,559 Posts
You need to better figure out where the noise is coming from. The clutch is a long ways away from the front brakes. Off hand, I wonder if the buttons between the brake rotors and their centers have loosened up, perhaps because someone wanted full floating rotors. Generally ill advised. Wheel bearing in the early stages of failure?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can't hear what your talking about in the video. I am at work and have crappy speakers though.
Do you know what straight cut cam gears sound like? They have a whine too them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to better figure out where the noise is coming from. The clutch is a long ways away from the front brakes. Off hand, I wonder if the buttons between the brake rotors and their centers have loosened up, perhaps because someone wanted full floating rotors. Generally ill advised. Wheel bearing in the early stages of failure?
Just came from a ride and I could swear it's from the front end, I just thought about the clutch as the clicking was in such a strong connection with it. I might be going crazy but I think I hear it over bumps and stuff as well. I will go in the weekend in a parking lot and try to test multiple taking offs / rattling everything on that damn front end. I only tested the rotors but they don't move at all, I'll also try rocking the fork with the front brake applied, I tried this a bit, I think I heard something at the beginning but then it settled I suppose and there was no sound. :hammer

I can't hear what your talking about in the video. I am at work and have crappy speakers though.
Do you know what straight cut cam gears sound like? They have a whine too them.
If you listen closely right when the wheel starts spinning and until the clutch fully engages, you can hear the clicking in every take off in that video. It doesn't have straight cut cam gears, I actually checked multiple helmet videos from ~1000km ago and the clicking was not there at all, now I can hear it on video on every take off, something else started failing.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,559 Posts
If it was the engine, I'd be thinking about the cam chain tensioner or the clutch. But, as said, you ought to be able to distinguish between the engine and the front end. If the engine, you ought to be able to tell which side.

You might also disconnect the damper and see how loose the steering is. You need the front end off the ground and free to turn. I do that by picking the bike up by the frame sliders.

Low fork oil? I'm grasping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, just wanted to give an update about this for anyone interesting / facing the same issue (though I suppose now given how stupid the cause might be): I finally managed to take it to a shop and after the mechanic rode it (same guy I bought it from / tuned it for drag, so the guy knows the bike well), he said that those clicks are just the damn fairings. Something somewhere came loose and makes that sound, this weekend I'll take all the fairings off and try to see if I can hear that clicking, but since I made this post the sound became worse and I hear it like hell when going over some bump so I'm leaning towards this fairing theory being true. I'll see this weekend what's happening because no matter how much I rattled the fairings/ front end I couldn't get to see anything out of place when the bike is parked. Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take the side fairings off first and then the headlight. Reverse order for re-installing. Did you find anything wrong? I replaced my fairings because they had a few tabs broken off where the sides clip into the headlight pieces

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
jbaker
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing