Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that we have all had our k6's for up to 6 months and done a few miles wet or dry, how does everyone rate the build quality? your answers please gentlemen and points of view, also rate on a scale of 1-10. ( 1= poor 10= excellent)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have had no problems with my bike at all. I have 2200 miles on it, cleaned the chain 3 times, adjusted it once, added a little coolant back at 200 miles, changed the oil and filter once, adjusted the throttle play a little bit, also adjusted the clutch once at the handle; and like i said no mechanical problems at all. It rides firm and tight just like new still. I rate it in my experience a 9. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 is because of the handlebar vibrations and the stock grips. I fixed the grips with some progrips and have weighted barends coming, once thats solved the bike will be very comfortable I hope.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The build quality of my 06 750 is substandard at best. The clearcoat gets scratched just by looking at it, the frame paint is not the best either...

The mirror bolts are made of cheese and they torque them at 1 zillion ft/lb so that you either break the studs or they become undone when you remove them.

Nagging and unresolved clutch issues from day one... I'll stop here...

Bottom line: a great bike with fantastic dynamic qualities but poor execution. The worst build quality I have seen since 1980's Kawasakis.

Just my honest 02 cents... Well actually that was more like $10500 cash :D

EDIT: Sorry, realized I forgot to rate as requested (!) I'd give it a 3.5/10. Again that's for the BUILD quality, not the dynamic qualities / performance. Both my Suzuki DRZ400SM and SV650 are better built than the gixxer.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Im with MdBikerBoy i have had no problems with my K6 got about 2400 miles on it and ive never felt any issues or things that i feel aren't right. Great bike great ride 9/10. Only thing i stoppin the 10 is the on off throttle jerkyness but i think we all know bout that. Nothing some smooth riding can't handle. Im well pleased with it!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
The bike performance is great compared to others.

But the built quallit is pretty poor. I have seen alot of stripped screws. the mirror bolts are horrible. Yes the frame paint is shit I have parts that have rubbed off to the bare frame after 10,000mi. It actually rubbed that much off at about 4,000mi. Plastic windscreen screws suck.

The OEM body work didnt line up in a bunch of places. The fairings are on the small side because of the way they made the exhaust.

I would give it a 5 out of 10

·
Premium Member
11,621 Posts
I say an 8.5.... the plate on the side of the engine where the clutch connects cracked from what i don't know (sat in the shop for three weeks while backordered) the FI light for the SET valve was annoying, but i took the cables off and now the valve stays open and i like it better. Handling is 10/10, no doubt. I was expecting a little more power coming off an 01 R6, but I'm more than pleased, when you hit 8 or 9K you know why you left the 600. My blue 750 is real pretty but the paint chips kinda easy. No bike is perfect man, and there's no other bike I'd rather be riding.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow, reading these is rather disappointing. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and its got 2600 kilometers on it. I spent Saturday giving it a good cleaning and wax job and didnt notice anything poor about it. I've been very impressed so far. . . . . . coming from a 2003 SV, I think the build quality is just as good if not better in my opinion. And I hope my opinion doesnt change as time goes on and the bike gets older.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
MdBikerBoy said:
I have had no problems with my bike at all. I have 2200 miles on it, cleaned the chain 3 times, adjusted it once, added a little coolant back at 200 miles, changed the oil and filter once, adjusted the throttle play a little bit, also adjusted the clutch once at the handle; and like i said no mechanical problems at all. It rides firm and tight just like new still. I rate it in my experience a 9. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 is because of the handlebar vibrations and the stock grips. I fixed the grips with some progrips and have weighted barends coming, once thats solved the bike will be very comfortable I hope.
Make sure your motor mounts are tight. My bike dosent vibrate to terribly bad.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ComeonK6 said:
Im with MdBikerBoy i have had no problems with my K6 got about 2400 miles on it and ive never felt any issues or things that i feel aren't right. Great bike great ride 9/10. Only thing i stoppin the 10 is the on off throttle jerkyness but i think we all know bout that. Nothing some smooth riding can't handle. Im well pleased with it!!!!!!
Adjust the free play in your throttle (lil barrel adjuster on the cable). Mine backed out and gave me a fit at the track. Fixed it and problem solved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ya only things that bother me so far would be the vibrations through the handlebars, I opted for bar end sliders, and not weighted bar ends, and delrin weighs next to nothing... so yea. That and the plastic clips on the lower front that little inside piece, one piece won't clip back on for me, but i can live with it.

Some things I expect with this bike, as it is a racebike with lights not a cruiser.

·
Registered
150 Posts
4,000 miles here. I am very pleased thus far. The only thing is my blue wheels seem to chip easy. Other than that I have none of the problem other people are mentioning. No paint problems, no frame problems, fairings match up perfect, etc etc.

BTW - I always keep a good coat of spray wax on my bike, this may be why I have no paint problems. Fast Wax FTW.

·
Registered
40 Posts
10/10. I am a suzuki only rider. I have had 8 suzuki,s. I am probably biased then.

·
Registered
333 Posts
eviltwin-05 said:
Make sure your motor mounts are tight. My bike dosent vibrate to terribly bad.
+1 The vibrations increased with mileage on my bike. Tightening the engine mounts got it back to a reasonable level and the Motovation bar ends cured whatever vibrations were left.

·
Registered
91 Posts
sportbiker_kev said:
Wow, reading these is rather disappointing. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and its got 2600 kilometers on it. I spent Saturday giving it a good cleaning and wax job and didnt notice anything poor about it. I've been very impressed so far. . . . . . coming from a 2003 SV, I think the build quality is just as good if not better in my opinion. And I hope my opinion doesnt change as time goes on and the bike gets older.
I came off a 02 SV and yes compared to that the 06 gixxer is a Lexus as far as fit and finish. But for 10K they could have put a good coat of paint on it. The colors are great but the clearcoat does scratch easily. Since the cost of these bikes are almost 2X that of the SV we do expect a lot I guess. Never owned anything other than Suzuki so I can't say it's better or worse than the other 3 big Japanese manufactures. Overall I am very pleased, no mechanical problems at all with near 4k miles so far.

Under200

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My paint is worn off my frame in 4 locations ( 2 of which are so bad they're polished ) I'm at 20,000 km but this was happening when I was at 8,000.

Here's some pics at 8,000 - is much worse now:

I also developed a rad leak because they mounted the fan too close to the rad. You also might experience this eventually.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.