Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buddy has a 06/600 that burns out both the hi/lo beam bulbs.
stator/rectifier were recently replaced with good quality parts, volts on battery and the head light wiring are 13.3 at idle and at 5000rpm, has burnt out 2 sets of bulbs within ~1 hour after installing them.
any ideas??

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,147 Posts
13.3V at the battery at 5000rpm is actually below spec. It shouldn't charge the battery properly, so perhaps you're not measuring correctly? I can't think of anything else that would blow bulbs at that rate, other than improper bulb type, or a faulty batch of bulbs of course. If you are measuring correctly and leaving aside the charging aspect for the time being, perhaps it'd be a good idea, to blip the throttle and see what the voltage is doing at higher engine speeds. No need to reach the limiter, of course.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
OEM bulbs and sockets? What does the wiring look like? Is the engine running every time? Lead acid or Lithium battery? Any other electrical mods? Are the hi/lo beams switched frequently?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OEM bulbs and sockets? What does the wiring look like? Is the engine running every time? Lead acid or Lithium battery? Any other electrical mods? Are the hi/lo beams switched frequently?
Wiring looks good, the R/R was recently replaced with a Ricks unit, lead acid battery thats almost new, no other mods. Engine is running when the bulbs pop. Hi/LO beams very seldom switched. Owner is going to check all grounds, if they are good will replace the R/R with new OEM one. Only thing I can think of is bad R/R??

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
It could be a few things... a lot of things. lol. I am leaning more toward a short or a ground where there shouldn't be.

You should test the voltage at the socket at a variety of rpms.

I am not aware of the numbers that Ricks has for performance, but I do know that the output voltage of the OEM R/R should be 14 to 15.5 at 5000 rpm.

Disconnect the stator and run the engine at 5000 rpm and measure voltage between all phases. It should be 65V or a bit more between each phase.

We know it's an overvolt/overcurrent somewhere...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts