Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out ridding on the weekend and mid trip a coolant hose on my water pump let go. I trailered it home and the coolant that was hitting the ground mostly looked fairly clean/green. After removing the coolant hoses around the pump and dropping the last little bit of coolant out, I noticed the coolant color was off and looked like it had mixed with oil. (Pic attached). I just changed the oil befor my ride and did not notice any coolant in my oil. No coolant is notiicable trough the oil sight glass either.

My question's are.
Can oil/coolant mixture go one way? Or does the oil first conteminate the coolant?
Is the likely cause of this failed seals in the water pump?

Sorry for the long wrIte up. Any help appreciated. Cheers!

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,635 Posts
I don't claim to understand what happened but wonder if more is at play than you realize. The boiling point of 50/50 antifreeze is around 225 °F. Our bikes operate at significantly lower temperatures, so the pressure on the hoses should be minimal. There will be some pressure buildup due to thermal expansion as the bike warms up but essentially nothing beyond that. So it sounds like a hose "letting go" is associated with a clamp that was never tightened or a rotting hose. Or were you somehow operating at higher temps? Next, the pump actually has two seals, one for oil and one for coolant, with a drain hole to the outside between them. A failing seal will result in coolant or oil appearing on the pump or crankcase near to the hole. Oil in the coolant or vice versa is generally associated with a failing head gasket or frost plug. Neither is good. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
It was a "rotting" hose for sure.
It was split just above the lip of the pump, immediately above the clamp, very hard to take the hose off the pump because it was stuck to it.
We replaced the hose tonight, it was the back one behind the cog cover.
Pump looks good, gave the system a good flush, will finish bleeding it tomorrow.
I doubt that will be giving him too much more trouble.
750 kilometre trailer ride home, 1500K round trip for his Mrs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts