Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

This is going to be the lame post of the day but it's something that's bothered me and I have not had luck finding decent images online to help. I'm curious to the proper orientation of the kickstand when it's deployed. Mine is nearly vertical; there's so little angle to it that if I don't take up the drivetrain lash (bike is always parked in first gear), the lash is greater than the throw of the kickstand and the kickstand will fold up if the drivetrain lash it not removed prior to deployment. Is this normal? I'd expect the kickstand to extend more forward, which would also lean the bike over a little more (it's pretty vertical as well).

A variable: when I bought the bike, the kickstand had been shortened. I purchased what was to be a used kickstand off ebay but I'm wondering if it's not the correct one for the bike. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thank you for all of the great replies! I didn't mean to cause confusion. The bike was lowered so the PO's (my friend) wife could ride it on occasion. It went back to stock ride height when I bought it, but it retained the lowered kickstand. I bought a used kickstand off ebay and put that on. Thus, stock ride height and what we think is a stock kickstand.

Regarding the drivetrain lash, in first gear, if I move the bike longitudinally from all the way rearward to all the way forward, the bike moves over 2" (see vid). It sounds like this might be excessive based on what Bill said. Hmm.

I don't have any reason to believe the stand is worn or anything, it functions well. I just expected more throw. I found the old shortened kickstand and it appears to be the same in every way (sans the height).

I took some pics and a vid, please let me know whatcha all think.

First pic is a better shot of the kickstand. I tried to stand directly in front of the shifter.

Second pic is how the kickstand looks if the bike rolled forward while in first gear

Third pic is length of the kickstand. I wasn't sure what part of the tip would be correct for the measurement (I'd forgotten the spec while taking the pic) but this gives a pretty good ballpark idea. Edit: upon re-reading Bill's spec, the mounting-bolt C/L to the most lateral (outer) tip of the kickstand toe is just shy of 12", just as Bill noted. 馃憤

Here's a vid of the drivetrain lash. Bike's in first gear, and is moved longitudinally from where it stops to where it stops (lash, in my mind). I have about 2.5", far more than Bill's 0.75". Hmmmmmm. Link:

Drivetrain lash

Anyhoo, I was hoping to get a general idea if this looks normal or if the kickstand was incorrect (seems like it might be application correct). Now I'm wondering about forward drivetrain movement while in gear if anyone can further comment on that (Bill's .75" vs my ~2.5")

Again, I appreciate all the replies. :)
Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you again for all the info guys (and Bill, thank you for doing the comparable measurement). It sounds like it's normal; I just wanted to make sure I could not improve the dynamic.

Thank you again gents. (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts