Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Hello folks,

This is going to be the lame post of the day but it's something that's bothered me and I have not had luck finding decent images online to help. I'm curious to the proper orientation of the kickstand when it's deployed. Mine is nearly vertical; there's so little angle to it that if I don't take up the drivetrain lash (bike is always parked in first gear), the lash is greater than the throw of the kickstand and the kickstand will fold up if the drivetrain lash it not removed prior to deployment. Is this normal? I'd expect the kickstand to extend more forward, which would also lean the bike over a little more (it's pretty vertical as well).

A variable: when I bought the bike, the kickstand had been shortened. I purchased what was to be a used kickstand off ebay but I'm wondering if it's not the correct one for the bike. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thank you.
I have a K6 1000 Gixxer and an 04 Busa. Hard to tell from that picture. But that looks like a Busa kickstand. And they are known for having the fold up issue. If your bike is lowered you should modify the kick stand to give you some lean. If you send a close up from the side of the kickstand I can tell you what you have...

· Registered
78 Posts
I enlarged that picture. That looks like the right kickstand from what I can see from the top. And looks to be on about the same angle forward as mine. If you're that was for a K5 or 6 and it folds up to easy. maybe there's a problem with the base. Bent a little?

· Registered
78 Posts
Seeing that the previous owner shortened the kickstand makes me think that the suspension of the bike is lowered? That would definitely explain your issue, the kickstand itself doesnt appear to be any different than the one on my k6
I don't think that has been shortened. But it probably should be if the bike has been lowered.

· Registered
78 Posts
Not sure what you're getting at here. I did say that after blowing the picture up that looks like a stock K5 or 6 kickstand. And also said if the bike is to vertical when on the stand the bike has probably been lowered. Not sure why the stand folds up to easily as stated in the first post.

· Registered
78 Posts
The kickstand and the angle when it's full forward look correct. My 06 only goes to the drag strip. Pretty flat there so that isn't a concern. But I do keep that in mind when I park my Busa anywhere. And I am in the habit of putting it in 1st. moving the bike forward till it stops. Then laying the bike over on the stand. Chain adjustment, chain and sprocket wear can have an effect on how far the bike will move back and forth when in gear. A worn Crush Drive can also make that distance larger too. (ABSORBER, HUB SHOCK) as Suzuki calls it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts