Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
uh here are some free or really low cost things that i can think of off the top of my head. not going to explain them (i probably wouldn't do a great job), be better if you used the search function for that.

making stock rotors free floating (free?)
putting different weight fork oil into steering damper (aka damper mod) $10
TRE $40?
removal of set valve (FREE)
pair mod (?price)

there are a lot of threads on these mods, make sure you research them as there are pro's and cons to each.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
+1

Switch it to GP shift

setup your suspension properly (as much as you can with the stock components anyway) to your weight and riding ability. This goes without saying but it's amazing how often people never bother to even set the sag properly for their weight.

You can disable the SET butterfly by removing the cables from the stock exhaust so that it's in the open most position all the time and then pull out the whole servo motor.

I would say floating the stock rotors is not worthwhile unless you are taking the bike to the track as the chatter from the disks is likely going to drive you nuts on the street.

Aside from that, well, the bike doesn't really need much, free or otherwise to be plenty capable.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
There is no flapper in the airbox. The only other mod I can think of is the PAIR-mod which is not worth it in most people's opinion.

·
Registered
710 Posts
gpshift=reversed shift pattern
if you lool at the linkage that runs from your shifter you need to flip the last connection, where it connects to the bike, and therfore you will have reversed your shift pattern. takes 1 minute.
:cheers

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
ClintB said:
gpshift=reversed shift pattern
if you lool at the linkage that runs from your shifter you need to flip the last connection, where it connects to the bike, and therfore you will have reversed your shift pattern. takes 1 minute.
:cheers
i bet it is awkward to get used to or not really???????????

·
Registered
710 Posts
i tired it and it was a little awkward at first and i ended up switching back. the shifting seemed more positive to shift up esp when quickshifting and 1-2nd shifts which i seem to do a little short sometimes and end up in neutral (just the foot being lazy i guess:)). I had to constantly remind myself of it when riding and it became annoying. It seems a lot of other people get used to it really quickly and swear by it. for the time it takes to do it i would try it and see how you like it.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
NOS4U said:
i bet it is awkward to get used to or not really???????????

Nahh, took me about 5 miles to get used to it, I'll never switch back again. Hopped on a friends RC51 with regular shift, took me a couple of miles to get used to that again though.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I could NEVER go back to standard shift. I just bought a CRF450R to play with through the end of fall and winter, and riding standard shift for me is a challenge. After a while it's no big deal, but a challenge for a while.

GP shift is GREAT. Makes no difference to some riders, but my size 15 feet thank me at the track.

·
Registered
710 Posts
lexus,
if you look at the rod that comes off the shifter it connects to a pivot point.
from this it goes down to another pivot point at which it connects to the bike. It is here at this spot that you loosen the bolt on the side and slip it off and turn it over. tighten the bolt back up and your all done. really it couldn't be easier if you know what your trying to do. I marked mine top and bottom before i slipped it off to make sure i flipped it a perfect 180, but i don't even think you need to do that, just shift it with your hand to make sure you did it right.
your linkage will run from the rod to a pivot point and then up to the pivot point (that you just flipped) when your done.:punk

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
last night, I adjusted the suspension. did the gp shifter mod. man i can shift the shit out of it now. the only down fall is that i wasnt use to it, so when i was coming up to lights to downshift i kept kicking it down instead of up lol for the first 5 miles. It's straight now

·
Registered
710 Posts
Jeenis said:
can someone offer a brief explanation of what those mean and what benefit (even if it's minute) it would give?
i was going to post some links to help you out, but to be honest there are too many to choose from and you should read more than one.
so sorry but try the search function.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.