Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a Yoshi TRS Tri Oval Stainless Steel on my K5... and i'm having probs. Reckon it's running too rich as it cuts out when idling, and when stopped at lights unless I blip throttle. Backfiring a lot. It's not bad petrol, cos I've refuelled and it's still the same. Wanna get it sorted before I start fouling the plugs and possibly doing damage to the engine. Was told a power commander will sort out the problem, but don't like messing with the electrics. I would be grateful for any advice you may have. Thanks!
Trevor

·
Registered
335 Posts
full or half system? either way the bike will run leaner that with stock exhaust.

I have 2 that run just fine with full systems and no power commander

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just a slip on. Thought when it was backfiring that meant excess petrol, and that it was running rich. Think I'll have to take it easy if it's running lean... don't want to do any damage

Thanks!

Trevor

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Done that.... well, my mechanic did. My real worry is about fitting a power commander... what are the downsides gonna be. It should sort out my fuel injection problem, but I'm worried it could upset the ecu somehow, or ignore some safety features on the sensors it decides to ignore in order to correct the fuel. I'm just a bit wary of it.

Thanks!

Trevor

·
Registered
248 Posts
Backfire could be an exhaust leak. Fuel won't ignite without air. Leaking exhaust can let air in. Also, try raising your idle a little if it is "cutting out". Low speed misfire could lead to premium air/fuel mix in exhuast if one or two cylinders misfire because of low idle speed.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
what you mean downsideof powercommander? they should improve fuel delivery for your new set up. . they will not affect the ecu.you can always remove the PC and the ecu is back to oem automatlically

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ECU on the K5 is 64bit, unlike the K3 & K4 (so I'm told).... a 'new geneeration' ecu. The shop was going to use a 'yoshi box' to remap... but then I got other advice not to do that, because it's not fully compatible, and to use the power commander. Thanks for all your help guys. Hope to get it sorted today

Trevor

·
Registered
335 Posts
a power commander will not fix your current problem, no dig but the mechanic missed something

I ran low 9's in the quarter 150mph+ with out a power commander and nothing is getting hurt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put the original back on today (didn't look easy)... if it's runnin lean I don't wanna b damaging the pistons or valves. Have to wait a couple of weeks before the power commander comes in. There's a bit of an unusual rattle from the can also,... so I'm sending it back to the supplier to have it checked. Again,... I appreciate your help and opinions.

Thanks

Trevor

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorted!... The idling speed was too low (below 1000 r/min), and bike was still cutting out with the standard can back on. Thanks 'aronhalt'..., suppose it should have been obvious. But I don't do any work on the bike myself, and am pretty ignorant about the mechanical side of things. Took out the owners manual and followed it step by step.. it's a good feeling to know how to do SOMETHING myself!!. Upped the idling to 1200 r/min and it's fine again now. The yoshi had something wrong with it anyway... when the 'NOT FOR ROAD USE' tag was rivited to it, it caused a weird rattle.. so yoshi are fixing that for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts