Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K5 Won\'t Start

Hi,
Bike has under 700 miles, drove to work today without problems, I got out to go home and it didn't want to start. Slow cranking, no cranking, then when it started I reved it up to 3k and it died. This happened several times and I finally let it idle some more before trying higher RPM. Finally seemed to clear up and I rode home. Here I checked the battery connection and it's good. Going to try later after it's cooled off.

It's a new bike, I'm not happy. Anyone else have this problem?

Ernie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: K5 Won\'t Start

No, this is the first time, otherwise always starts on the first hit, little cranking.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts

Itchin' had a problem somewhat similar to what you are describing. Maybe you 2 should put your heads together and see what's up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That's what I planned. Last week it was a flat on a tire with 200 miles on it, now this. My busa acted like this when the battery started going bad (at 35K miles). It would reset the clock each time it happened, but this clock is OK.
This is the kind of thing I hope happens again right away, instead of lurking, waiting for the best time to leave me stranded.

Ernie

·
Registered
165 Posts

If you locked your forks there's a chance you put it into the park mode and left your taillight on all day. I almost did that once and I know of at least one other person that's done it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I filled up, Mobile Prem, this morning, so maybe. I checked the Park position just now and I don't think so. I see my bike pretty often during the day (smoke break) and think I would have noticed the front lights reflecting off the wall in front of it or the taillight.

I checked the battery connections and the cables except the negative frame connection somewhere under the tank. I'll see what it does in the morning and if it's bad, load it into the van and go to the dealer Saturday. It's going to be a great weekend for riding too.

·
Registered
919 Posts

i had a similar problem when i took my bike off my truck this weekend, except i had no starter action at all... charged the battery, same... then i hit the service manual, and the starter relay was good, GPS was good, then i looked at the clutch sensor (little rod under the clutch lever that gets pushed in when the clutch is out) and saw that the tie downs i had used fucked up the plastic casing to the sensor... bent it back and the bike started right up - crisis averted!

sorry to hear about your prob - the service manual has a troubleshooting section with flow charts that is very nice - if you need to i can post it

·
Registered
3,047 Posts

Man I hear about so many problems with this bike. I hope it is not crap
Also consider that if anyone on the planet has a problem they bitch about it in here.

The bike is fine.

Now back to the problem that the user is having...

·
Registered
472 Posts

Itchin' had a problem somewhat similar to what you are describing. Maybe you 2 should put your heads together and see what's up.
Hey there, I brought my bike in after it died on me while riding.
the FI was flashing and red light blinking. cranked but no start. left it overnight and started fine next day.
also getting wierd noise sometimes at takeoff and shudder shakes when braking to a stop.
my dealer has test ridden the thing a few times and naturally didnt notice any of the probs.
they dont have the new diagnostic equipment yet that retrieves stored codes. getting it soon.
Anyway for now Im riding it and hoping it dosent strand me. my bike is good, just a few dial ins I hope. Im trying not to get too PO'D.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery. Take your multi meter, hook it up to the battery, and see what your Volts is while cranking. If its droppen below 10 VDC, then u need to give it a good charge, or better yet replace it and make sure it gets its full initial charge!!!!!

D

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

If it's turning over properly but not firing up, try raising the idle speed, if it's too low, it'll stall, even when running and with the throttle open. This used to confuse the living shit out of me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well, I took it to work today and it started OK this morning and at the end of the day. Just have to see if it happens again. I could understand bad gas if it wasn't for the wierd cranking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts